“Decent Japanese food for small and big group”
Review of St. Sushi

St. Sushi
Ranked #157 of 1,261 Restaurants in Newcastle upon Tyne
Price range: US$13 - US$26
Cuisines: Japanese, Sushi, Asian
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Child-friendly, Business meetings, Groups
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“Decent Japanese food for small and big group”
Reviewed 22 October 2013

Partner and I visit this place quite often after a day of shopping in Newcastle. Last time we took our parents and partner's parent were not sure about sashimi and using chopsticks, we convinced them to try the chicken katsu curry and chicken teriyaki which they loved. They can now proudly announce they had japanese food! Despite a big group and some diners were late, the waitresses were patient and friendly. Also. the food were nice as usual!

Visited October 2013

Aberdeen, United Kingdom
“Excellent Sushi, poor udon”
Reviewed 21 October 2013

We stopped by for lunch on a Saturday whilst on a city break to Newcastle. We had high expectations because of the glowing reviews here and in terms of food we weren't let down. I ordered the Vegetarian sushi set which meant I could try a bit of everything, and my partner had a katsu bento box. I also ordered a bowl of kimchi/tofu udon which unfortunately was rather tasteless - the broth was weak in flavour and the kimchi flavours hadn't been absorbed into the tofu or vegetables which made for a bowl of tasteless noodles.

What really let this place down however was service. My sushi turned up and 5 minutes later my partners food was yet to arrive. Within the next 5 minutes my noodles came over and we asked where his food was since he was sitting with nothing. another 5 minutes and the girl came back saying sorry but it would be here soon, and after a final 5 minutes the food turned up without any explanation or apology. His order had clearly just been forgotten about. By then of course I had finished all my food so our meal was spoiled by this, regardless of how tasty the food was.

A bit of a shame - it was clearly a mistake but they didn't seem to care which made it worse.

Try anything with Tamago (omlet) in it - it's the best I've ever tasted.

• Visited October 2013
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“always excellent”
Reviewed 17 October 2013

went with a friend as a birthday gift was really surprised sushi bars are normally hard to judge and most are poor this was really nice the staff were nice and friendly and it was lovely would visit again!

Visited July 2013
“Best Sushi in Newcastle by a mile”
Reviewed 14 October 2013

Don't be tempted by larger chains, St Sushi is easily the freshest, most innovative and carefully put together Sushi in town. Although the Westgate Rd restaurant is the nicest looking, the Eldon Sq branch is the better food. Soft Shell Crab roll and Eel Nigiri are perfect.
If you don't fancy Sushi etc then the Seafood Katsu Curry is incredibly moreish, well balanced between fruity, spicy and warming. Great service with very good memories!

Visited September 2013
Newcastle, United Kingdom
“Post Match Food”
Reviewed 21 September 2013

Visited St Sushi 114 Westgate Road after todays match - sort of cheer us up after a miserable result against Hull.

My son and I ordered a selection of sushi including nigiri and maki. Although we didn't get the cucumber maki all the food was great! Beef Teryiaki stir fry was also delish !!

Definately being again.