“Didn't know what the bad smell was - until waitress wiped the table with a floor cloth”
Review of St. Sushi

St. Sushi
Ranked #174 of 1,308 Restaurants in Newcastle upon Tyne
Price range: US$14 - US$28
Cuisines: Sushi, Asian, Japanese
Good for: Child-friendly
Reviewed 5 August 2014

It's Newcastle restaurant week where dozens of restaurants (including the best in the City) offer 2 courses for £10. We embrace the ethos of the week to try restaurants we haven't been to previously. Without any doubt we will nearer return to St Sushi after tonights experience. On arrival we were disappointed to see litter including discarded food boxes on the pavement outside. As I had booked a table we persevered and on entering were shown to MDF bench seats at a veneer table. There was a rather stale smell about the place and despite them proudly displaying posters with 5 star hygeine rating from the local authority and 5 circles from TripAdvisor we formed the view the place was not clean. Our 4 piece mixed sushi starters arrived which were substantial and tasty. The main course was described to be with a side salad. 3 undressed lettuce leaves does not constitute a restaurant quality salad in my view.

Then the cause of the foul smell was revealed. The neighbouring table was cleared and the waitress produced the most filthy foam style square cloth I have ever seen in a restaurant and used it to wipe spray across the table. The smell from the cloth confirmed it's appearance was quite inappropriate for a restaurant - I wouldn't expect it to be used on the kitchen floor.

Soon after this we paid our £10 per head and left for fresh air.

If the staff at St Sushi don't notice (and deal with) the litter outside and smell the fifth on the cleaning cloth I dare not think how unclean the kitchens are. It's a mystery to me how they have 5 hygeine stars from Newcastle City Council and we will not be back to find out if this evening was a one off.

1  Thank John W

Reviewed 30 July 2014

We have been going to St Sushi regularly (latest 29th July 2014). No matter what the occasion we have always been made welcome and served quickly with tasty food. I enjoy sushi but often have some of the hot alternatives. I have yet to be disappointed.

Reviewed 23 July 2014

We used to come here quite regularly, but the last couple of times we went, we noticed that the food was nowhere near as good as it used to be. We usually go for bento boxes. The time before last I ordered one with sweet and sour pork. When it came, it had a lot of bits of fat in it, which was absolutely awful. When I mentioned it to the waitress she just said that they use a pork chop as it comes!
Anyway, as I always liked the place, thought we would give it another go and this time I ordered sweet and sour chicken. Well, this was hardly any better.. The chicken was gristly and the overall taste and quality was very poor.
To top it all up, when the waitress brought back our change she only left it on the table briefly and then 3 min later came back to collect the wallet. At the time I was in the bathroom and my husband didn't even get the chance to get the change which was just under £10. I thought they'd realise that it wasn't a tip of almost 30% and bring it back, but we actually had to ask for it!
So not a great experience all around! On a positive note - sake was good.

3  Thank Sandancer
Reviewed 18 July 2014

We really enjoyed our sushi food at this restaurant. Service was excellent--good choice from menu. Would recommend to give it a try.

Reviewed 8 July 2014

We came here a few weeks ago after deciding against popping to yo sushi where we had been before. I am so glad we did. Not really knowing much about sushi and what we were looking at, the girl on the counter seemed really friendly and pointed out the happy hour deal menu and we went inside. We ordered 2 bentos boxes and when they arrived we were both very impressed. The food was excellent and more than sufficient for us! It was a great value deal and we will definitely come here again when we are in the area. I ordered a fruit milk with the jelly bubbles with the offer. Amazing! Something I will definitely have again, and so many flavours to choose from. A great experience which I have no complaints about.