“As good as expected and more!”
Review of St. Sushi

St. Sushi
Ranked #147 of 1,267 Restaurants in Newcastle upon Tyne
Price range: US$13 - US$25
Cuisines: Sushi, Asian, Japanese
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Lunch, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations, Takeout
Newcastle
“As good as expected and more!”
Reviewed 16 August 2014

Having been wanting to go to a Japanese restaurant for ages me and a friend decided to give St Sushi a go after seeing their fantastic offer for restaurant week. Reviews on here got us very excited and we definitely were not disappointed.

St Sushi is ideally located on Westgate Road opposite the Bodega pub. The interior is simple but beautiful; dark and mysterious with a video of j-pop band playing on a tv screen. We got seated in a comfy booth by the friendly staff and I straight away ordered the green tea as I had read that refills were free. And god, was I glad it was as it tasted fantastic! Even better that my cup was always refilled very promptly without having to ask :)

We ordered from the special menu for the Restaurant week and choose the sushi for starters (veggie and non veggies so we could try a bit of both) and salmon teriyaki and teriyaki stir fry for main. When the food arrived everything looked as you would expect from Japanese food: beautiful and inviting! And the taste did not disappoint either. Everything was super fresh and seasoned perfectly. The sushi was picture perfect it was almost too pretty to eat! The main of salmon teriyaki was super flaky and I was surprised how crispy the salmon skin was, something I never had before! Delicious! The stir fry was just as good and served with plenty of sticky rice.

Even though the meals came in such generous portions that we were pretty full that there was no chance I was gonna pass up the chance to try matcha ice cream to finish. We weren't sure what to expect but this dessert was super light and fresh, not too sweet and perfect to cleanse your taste buds after the food. A perfect end to the meal.

What else can I say, except I am planning to come back as soon as I can as the rest of the menu looked fantastic and I am eager to try the bento boxes, so see you soon St Sushi! I recommend you highly!

• Visited August 2014
1 Thank MandyNau

Cardiff, United Kingdom
“Fabulous”
Reviewed 10 August 2014 via mobile

Ordered especially as a surprise for our wedding anniversary and they couldn't have been more helpful. They created us a special sushi 'cake' and delivered it to the hotel for me to help with the surprise

Highly recommended

Newcaslte Upon Tyne
“Didn't know what the bad smell was - until waitress wiped the table with a floor cloth”
Reviewed 5 August 2014

It's Newcastle restaurant week where dozens of restaurants (including the best in the City) offer 2 courses for £10. We embrace the ethos of the week to try restaurants we haven't been to previously. Without any doubt we will nearer return to St Sushi after tonights experience. On arrival we were disappointed to see litter including discarded food boxes on the pavement outside. As I had booked a table we persevered and on entering were shown to MDF bench seats at a veneer table. There was a rather stale smell about the place and despite them proudly displaying posters with 5 star hygeine rating from the local authority and 5 circles from TripAdvisor we formed the view the place was not clean. Our 4 piece mixed sushi starters arrived which were substantial and tasty. The main course was described to be with a side salad. 3 undressed lettuce leaves does not constitute a restaurant quality salad in my view.

Then the cause of the foul smell was revealed. The neighbouring table was cleared and the waitress produced the most filthy foam style square cloth I have ever seen in a restaurant and used it to wipe spray across the table. The smell from the cloth confirmed it's appearance was quite inappropriate for a restaurant - I wouldn't expect it to be used on the kitchen floor.

Soon after this we paid our £10 per head and left for fresh air.

If the staff at St Sushi don't notice (and deal with) the litter outside and smell the fifth on the cleaning cloth I dare not think how unclean the kitchens are. It's a mystery to me how they have 5 hygeine stars from Newcastle City Council and we will not be back to find out if this evening was a one off.

• Visited August 2014
1 Thank John W
Durham, United Kingdom
“Tasty, Reliable, Friendly and Inexpensive”
Reviewed 30 July 2014

We have been going to St Sushi regularly (latest 29th July 2014). No matter what the occasion we have always been made welcome and served quickly with tasty food. I enjoy sushi but often have some of the hot alternatives. I have yet to be disappointed.

• Visited July 2014
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“Gone downhill”
Reviewed 23 July 2014

We used to come here quite regularly, but the last couple of times we went, we noticed that the food was nowhere near as good as it used to be. We usually go for bento boxes. The time before last I ordered one with sweet and sour pork. When it came, it had a lot of bits of fat in it, which was absolutely awful. When I mentioned it to the waitress she just said that they use a pork chop as it comes!
Anyway, as I always liked the place, thought we would give it another go and this time I ordered sweet and sour chicken. Well, this was hardly any better.. The chicken was gristly and the overall taste and quality was very poor.
To top it all up, when the waitress brought back our change she only left it on the table briefly and then 3 min later came back to collect the wallet. At the time I was in the bathroom and my husband didn't even get the chance to get the change which was just under £10. I thought they'd realise that it wasn't a tip of almost 30% and bring it back, but we actually had to ask for it!
So not a great experience all around! On a positive note - sake was good.

• Visited July 2014