“The best Bengali in the country”
Review of The Latifs

The Latifs
Ranked #797 of 1,262 Restaurants in Newcastle upon Tyne
Cuisines: Indian, Asian, Balti
Good for: Groups, Child-friendly
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Newcastle upon Tyne
“The best Bengali in the country”
Reviewed 4 February 2014

I've been coming here for 20 years and I've visited hundreds of Indian restaurants across the country and throughout the world and Latif's is the best. Not only is Mr Latif a perfect host but so are all his staff. Fabulous restaurant, fabulous food and a warm welcome every time I walk through the door. Highly recommended.

• Visited February 2014
2 Thank Tony C

Newcastle, United Kingdom
“A 'must eat' experience in Newcastle”
Reviewed 3 January 2014

I’m not sure why this restaurant is rated so low. I live in Newcastle and my top choice for Indian food is Latif’s. My father brought me here on a regular basis as a child and my Husband and I continue to do so.
We have never experienced any of the incidents that the other reviewer and his party have experienced whilst being part of a group booking here.
The building itself is amazing and the décor is quite old world Indian with cloth napkins, tablecloths and leather seats, I think it very stylish and remember as a child feeling like we were dining in a very special place.
Having tried many of the new, modern and up and coming Indian restaurants, like The Spice Cube in The Gate (very good also) I always return to Latif’s for the ambiance, location and of course the food.
The waiters are very strict looking and some do not converse easily in English but their attention to detail and attentiveness is always there.
Onto the food… We always have the mixed pickles and Poppadoms, the pickles, which are near to the best I have tasted, are flavoured with fresh herbs and the difference to the bought in jar type is evident. I try always to have something different every time to experience all the flavours and textures, and each time they do not disappoint. Their dishes when advertised as ‘spicy’ are indeed ‘spicy’, without being eye wateringly, needlessly so for effect, as the flavour combinations always come through.
The location is great for us, on Clayton Street, as afterwards we tend to go to The Forth pub on Pink Lane for a beer and then onto a gig at the O2 Academy or The Dog and Parrot pub for many more beers, with a great curry inside, lining our stomachs.

• Visited December 2013
Newcaslte upon Tyne
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Just Avoid”
Reviewed 3 December 2013 via mobile

Was with the large group below and it was as bad as they say, a nasty bunch of evil little idiots who threatened a heavily pregnant friend and two children with physical violence.

This lot deserve to be in prison, not running a restaurant, do not go there and avoid it at all costs.

London, United Kingdom
“"It'll be ready in 15-20mins" is their catchphrase”
Reviewed 25 October 2013

1 weeks notice, 26 guests celebrating my sisters first baby, arrived on time and were happily seated, after everyone worked out who they wanted to sit by and where. All in good spirits after a fun day of fun and games.
Best part of an hour later someone took our drinks order, took several attempts for the waiter to realise we were asking what drink they had but finally he got it and we ordered. Drinks turned up over the next 15mins and comments were made on the quality of the drinks, but continued to enjoy ourselves.
More time passed and after some chancing someone took our food order. So much time I'd forgotten what I had decided to have. But I decided and ordered.
Time ticked by even more and then a plates of poppadoms arrived. After 5 mins people started eating them, 10mins after the poppadoms arrived the sauces/topping arrived. My sister was promised it would have a dip she wanted when it didn't (can't remember which one but she does).
Yay, the starters started to arrive. On person ordered a meat samosa and was given a single piece of unseasoned chicken wrapped in pastry and the waiter insisted it was a samosa. Another ordered a veg samosa and was given a veg role being told "It's all vegetables isn't it?". By this time we were all hungry as we'd been waiting 2 hours so they just had them.
Another half hour passed and another query on where the food was and we were told another 15-20mins, something they had said every time we asked a question. During our wait other customers were coming, eating and leaving and we all felt the staff were ignoring us.
It was decided we had now had enough and decided to leave handing cash as we left to cover what little we had. They weren't happy and stopped us from leaving being told to return to our seats and call of a sudden our food was ready.
We weren't having it and wanted to leave, we had a heavily pregnant woman and some young children with us. They tried to leave but were stopped by a very rude and forcful member of staff, after an argument they were allowed to leave as it was nearly 2300, The police were called who helped sort things out, however some money we had paid with had gone missing, All this time grinning manager changed the price owed from £120 to £110 then up to £170, despite one person trying deal with things the 'manager' went and spoke to my pregnant and very upset sister, trying to brush off our bad experience as normal no matter where you go and putting his arm over my sisters shoulder which she had to shrug him off. With the help of the police we were able to sort things and we left to have some chip from a local chippy and go relax over a few drinks at the Mile Castle.Two days later and my heavily pregnant sister is still stressed about the ordeal.
I was given a high praise from my mother and sister from many previous visits and was looking forward to this meal, I have been told it was under different management at those other rimes.

• Visited October 2013
2 Thank BadWolfe
Gateshead
“Wonderful occasion ruined by incompetent thugs”
Reviewed 24 October 2013 via mobile

I have been to this restaurant numerous times before and although the service was never fast, the food has always been beautiful and the wait not too much of a burden. With this in mind I booked a table for a large number of my family and friends who had come to visit from all over the country for my baby shower.

We arrived on time and were shown promptly to our table. So far so good, sadly from this point everything went downhill.

After waiting over half an hour a member of staff arrived to take our drinks order. This proved to be an undertaking in itself as he seemed to find it impossible to understand orders such as lemonade or Rose wine. Anyway after another half an hour our drinks came. During this time I had to ask repeatedly for someone to come and take our food order. Other tables were being served, in fact whilst we are waiting, people that had been sat down after us had been given their food and they had almost finished eating while we were still waiting for some attention. An hour later someone bothered to come and see what we
wanted to eat. An hour after that the poppadums came, 15 minutes later, the sauces, a further 20 after that the starters arrived (over 2 hours after we first sat down). Whilst we were waiting a member of our group had to practically frog march a waiter to come and serve us more drinks.

After waiting yet another half an hour after our starters for our next course we had to ask how much longer only for the waiter to shrug and say 'I don't know maybe another 20-30 minutes' baring in mind it was now almost 11pm and we had sat down at 8pm and we had been completely ignored from the off, this was the final straw. We told the waiter we weren't going to wait and longer and that we were leaving. We paid for what we had but they wanted more. When we got to the door, another waiter, who apparently was the owners son (some skinny young thing with an attitude he simply could not live up to) bared the way out so we couldn't leave. We had 2 children with us and wanted them to leave with one of their parents as we could tell that it was going to get nasty but this idiot refused, he pushed one of the kids ( what a tough guy!) and he said the kids could go and stand in the street on their own (at past 11pm on a Saturday night in Newcastle!???) but that no adult was going to be allowed to go out with them. The child's father was obviously outraged with this pathetic excuse of a man putting his hands on his child and when he said so the waiter threatened to break his jaw! At this point the police arrived. Apparently this isn't the first time Latifs has pulled a stunt like this and the Police were very reasonable with us. They spoke to Mr Latif who kept changing how much he reckoned we owed. The waiter that took our money is obviously a thief as the pile of money we gave him had miraculously shrunk by the time the police got there. The police asked for an itemised bill to prove how much we owed but they wouldn't produce one and when asked to check those CCTV they were full of excuses and wouldn't give up the goods. Because of this the police forced them to let us go and have them a final warning about wasting police time. We then went to the chip shop for tea.

We understand that being a large group things would move a bit slower but to be completely ignored and then to use such threatening behaviour is unbelievable. Not just from a customer service point of view but also from a civilised human being point of view.

3 Thank armybarmy