“Gone too downhill”

Cuisines: Gastropub
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 8 December 2013

I've been going to this pub for about 2 years, it used to be ok. Sadly, I took some friends along to the pub on a Wednesday evening with my 2 young children recently. We placed the order then waited for starters... and waited... and waited. Eventually my garlic ciabatta arrived, overdone. My friend's partner's prawns arrived overdone and dried out.

I asked for the garlic ciabatta to be replaced, which they did. Some 40 or so minutes later they brought a friend's chicken kebab, my daughter's meal - we ordered scampi and ended up with fish fingers - that was sent back. The other food would "be a few minutes". My lasagne was overdone throughout and my friend's partner's 'codfather' was so hard he couldn't get through the batter with a fork. Both sent back. 5 minutes later my daughter's correct order arrived, we waited a further 20 or so minutes for these to be replaced, by this time my wife and friend had finished their meal - needless to say my friend's partner and I had lost our appetites by this time. My friend's partner cancelled his meal and mine arrived before I could cancel it.

I thought this was a 1 off as the pub seemed busier than usual. Sadly, I was wrong. I went yesterday (Saturday) with my wife, daughters and mother in law. Placed our order and waited. About 30 minutes later an overdone garlic ciabatta arrived - it was duly sent back, fortunately we got the replacement after 5 minutes. A further 45 minutes passed, we'd seen people arrive at booths, be fed and depart, we still didn't have our food, my young daughters were getting tired and beyond hungry. We asked where the food was, the server said hopefully it wouldn't be too much longer, it was next on the list. We asked where my daughter's food was and she said that it'd be out soon.

On the basis my eldest daughter needed to eat I let the food come - 5 minutes later the same issue as last time - fish fingers instead of scampi arrived. At that point, I told the server to forget it. As we'd visited the pub, I went to speak to the duty manager about it. He hadn't realised we had been waiting so long nor the trouble we'd had and was off to speak to the kitchen about it.

Sadly, too little too late. I feel this pub has now gone too far downhill.

Spirit P, Guest Relations Manager at The Pack Horse, responded to this reviewResponded 16 December 2013

Dear CSerpent, thank you for your recent feedback on Trip Advisor. Your comments were a concern to hear and I would like to investigate your visit further with the Management Team of the pub. I have sent you a direct message to discuss this further and look forward to hearing from you soon. Kind Regards, FG

Reviewed 5 September 2013

We have eaten many times in The Pack Horse and found the staff to be friendly and helpful.
Our meals were served on time and delicious. We will keep this pub as our regular eating place Well Done to All See you at Christmas again!!
Don't understand bad reviews were they even at the same pub as us ?

Reviewed 31 August 2013 via mobile

We called when driving past from the out side it looked great but on entering it went down hill fast Service is slow and lack lustre
Tables where dirty
Food was the most awfull stuff I really would not let my dogs eat this I felt sick all night and was pleased I left most of it this place is just no good and never will be with the current Proprietors

Spirit P, Guest Relations Manager at The Pack Horse, responded to this reviewResponded 3 September 2013

Dear hdhoy,

Thank for taking the time to provide us with your review.

I would like to apologise that we failed to meet your expectations at the Pack Horse in regards to the service you received. I can confirm that I have passed on your concerns to the management team who would like to investigate your feedback. We have sent you a direct message to discuss this further.

Kind regards

Flaming Grill

Reviewed 24 August 2013

visited this pub Saturday 24th august 2013 , the food was well worth the price, the staff were friendly enough, how ever the price of the drinks are well over the top, my husband got 2 bottles of kopperberg cider , £4.10 a bottle , that is absolutely ridiculous, the drinks menu needs to have the prices on for people to see, or is that the reason they don't put the prices on the drinks menu because people wouldn't buy it at those prices.

Reviewed 18 August 2013 via mobile

Visit this place often, staff are always attentive and friendly even when the place is busy. Food is nice especially for the price. Don't understand all the bad reviews.