“Great building , nice staff , Poor value.”

Loch Fyne Fisheries
Ranked #548 of 1,326 Restaurants in Newcastle upon Tyne
Price range: US$0 - US$59
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Groups, Local cuisine, Child-friendly, Romantic
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 9 June 2014

I have been to Loch Fyne many times and really like the place and the staff but its really expensive for what you get. I keep on thinking that one day I will have a great meal but no luck so far...
The menu is full of the usual exaggerations describing exotic food and leading one to expect some fantastic meal but in reality its very ordinary. Promises, Promises!
Its really a seafood restaurant and there is no point in dining there if you do like sea food .
There are lots of voucher offers on the go now and at 25% off the prices are nearly affordable.
Its worth a visit but get a voucher and don't expect too much!

3  Thank Moonlighter88

Reviewed 29 May 2014

The restaurant was NOT full but we were turned away very brusquely. The front of house manager was dismissive and obviously not interested in us as customers. I shall not return.

5  Thank grannywalescc
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Ver friendly staff and great food. A good selection of dishes, it is not just seafood that they do either, I had a burger on my most recent visit and it was excellent. Reasonably priced too.

1  Thank steviemac14
Reviewed 25 May 2014 via mobile

I went here for my birthday because I love seafood. Although the menu has a good choice of seafood dishes the food was nice but wasn't great. For two of us the bill came to £80 which I though was overpriced considering the night before we went to a michelin-started restaurant which cost £70. I had muscles to start and it was a very small portion. It was nice but I probably wouldn't go back based on the cost.

3  Thank Rachel T
Reviewed 22 May 2014

This was a return visit to Gosforth Lochfyne restaurant. The first visit was a chatterbox delight . Something we could chatter about with big smiles on our faces. UNfortunately, the return to Loch Fyne last week, was something close to a minor disaster.
The service was extremely friendly, but not quite up to scratch. It was supposed to be an anniversary dinner. We went upon the experience of the first visit. I dunno. Perhaps we arrived a wee bit early, before the staff had woken up fully.

My wife had the whole plaice. It looked fine, but the rocket dressing was as limp as a hot afternoon in the sun. The seasonal salad arrived after reminding the waitress gently that 'the rocket wasn't the side salad, was it '? The 'new ' potatoes we literally, GREY and tired looking . I think they might have been re-heated from lunchtime or recovering from sea sickness. Upon mentioning this to the staff, they thanked us for telling them, and said that they would make sure that the other customers wouldn't get this problem. Hmmmm, we thought. It hasn't been much help to US !

I had the seafood platter. It looked great, tho' not quite a 'man sized' portion, but just adequate. The overall flavours were overwhelming ! It could have been moderated down to 50% of the strength and been OK. I found that even after the cheesecake dessert, I could still feel the burning of the sauce in my throat long after leaving the place !

The overall price of the evening was just over £72.00, and in our estimation, it was definitely NOT value for money. The staff were very friendly, but alas, the quality of the food was high class disappointment. It will be a long time before we're induced or seduced into another visit.

1  Thank Pete B