“I thought we were in Italy!”
Review of Bistro Neri

Bistro Neri
Ranked #287 of 1,293 Restaurants in Newcastle upon Tyne
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 2 June 2014

I have an italian daughter-in-law and we have visited her home in Calabria, I thought that I had stepped into her local restaurant when we found Bistro Neri. The menu is not vast but authentic, home-cooked and our meal was served quickly and piping hot.
We had booked for Saturday evening and although the restaurant was busy we did not feel crowded nor rushed. I shall make sure that I return when next in Newcastle.

Reviewed 12 May 2014 via mobile

My wife and I took our daughter here as a treat for doin well at school. It took a long time for our starters to arrive which was calamari , garlic bread and deep fried brie. After the starters it was over an hour till our mains arrived which was a steak each for myself and my wife and a margherita pizza for my daughter. The worst part of this was after waiting over an hour for 2 steaks to arrive they forgot my daughters pizza which then took another 15mins to arrive the poor girl sat from 5:45pm till 7:20pm waiting for a cheese and tomato pizza shes 8years old and sadly I find this unacceptable! She was given a pizza to take home as an apology but when we got back and looked at it we found it was boiled egg with mushrooms and olives she is 8 and ordered a margherita why the hell would you give her that to take home??? Most adults wont eat that nevermind a child. We will not be using this establishment again and the reviews on here are way to generous with this place.

2  Thank 333Gavinp
mirella n, Owner at Bistro Neri, responded to this reviewResponded 14 May 2014

We are really sorry to hear that you had such a bad experience at our restaurant and would like to take this opportunity to apologise once again to you and in particular to your 8 year old daughter for having to wait for such a long time for her Margherita pizza.

We are also sorry to hear that you will not be using our establishment again and felt that the many positive comments made by other customers were too generous.

On the evening in question, the management was aware of the fact that you had to wait and tried their best to remedy the situation. The manager came to apologise profusely to you and your family; the Margherita pizza was taken off of your bill and the Capricciosa pizza was given to you to take home to apologise even further and express how sorry we were.

Bistro Neri is a small, family restaurant which offers good food as well as friendly and professional service and we always welcome and respond to comments from customers.

Kind regards.

Reviewed 28 April 2014

We live locally but for no known reason, hadn’t visited Bistro Neri for a while so booked on the spur of the moment on Saturday afternoon. We were glad we did.

Small place but set out so that you aren’t too uncomfortably close to the next table.

Ordered a bottle of Valpolicella which went down a treat. Menu isn’t huge but nor should it be. Always some delicious sounding ‘Specials’ on the board.
Hubby had: deed fried brie with a chilli chutney, followed by crab and lobster ravioli which he polished off without pausing for breath!
I had a tomato pizza garlic bread which was delightfully crispy-based though I would have liked more oregano but I’m weird like that! I guess! I then had Chicken Milanese which was tasty but I couldn’t finish it or the accompanying vegetables as I was too full after my starter and the home made complimentary bread.

Hubby had cannoli and we both thoroughly enjoyed a gorgeous cup of coffee each.

Bill came with a couple of complimentary liquers which my hubby polished off while we waited for our taxi.

Great menu, lovely friendly staff. Support these local independent restaurants doing an excellent job!

1  Thank Thumbelina P
Reviewed 23 April 2014

Family run, Good food, Nice friendly staff.
I believe there is a take away service.
We eat there whenever we can.
Do try the Boscaiola or the Ravioli Dolcellatte both are a delight.

Reviewed 6 April 2014

As i live very close to this place i must have walked past it a thousand times and not paid very much attention to it, however i finally thought i'd give it a try, I was very glad I did.

We booked in for a Friday night with a couple of friends for a meal as a change from our normal Italian, the place is very small it maybe holds 25 people, very compact but not squashed in.

We all had a starter and main course each, I had the fried brie with caramelised onion chutney and my partner had mixed fried seafood, both were very tasty in light batter, perfectly cooked, for our main I had a ham, dolcelatte and spinach pizza, she had lobster and crab ravioli, the pizza had the thinnest base i have ever come across and was superb, her ravioli was equally as good, i wasn't given any to sample! Our friends had a starter each and also had a half pizza pasta main which they said was excellent, this was washed down with a couple of bottles of house red.

The menu isn't massive but you would expect that in a small restaurant, they did have a good selection of specials on the wall to choose from, which was nice.

The staff were very nice and friendly, asking if we were enjoying our food and ensuring we had enough drinks on the go.

The bill came and it was about £22 each, very good value for a tasty meal, the bill arrived with a complimentary amaretto.

Defiantly worth a pop in for a nice meal, give it a go, i think they do a good happy hour offer as well.