“A very unique and quirky experience!”
other travellers have booked this property
Check Availability
Request to Book
Make Enquiry
Very good
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Any
benjebobs
Cambridgeshire, United Kingdom
“A very unique and quirky experience!”
Reviewed 30 July 2015 for a stay in July 2015

The goal for my holiday (as a solo traveler) was one of privacy and relaxation. I received both at The Mill. I wanted somewhere quiet and peaceful; the fact that the property is so unique was a massive plus for me. I can't review the local amenities as I didn't set foot outside during my entire 4 night stay! But that should give you some indication as to how comfortable the Mill is. And the kitchen is very high spec. Loved the induction cooker!

I only really spoke to Simon (one of the owners) who I found to be friendly, warm and open. I had chipped one of the cups whilst washing it up and apologized and said I would pay to replace it. Simon waved this away and told me not to worry about it; that to me was an important gesture as it showed me he was more concerned that I'd had a good stay rather than quibble over a chipped mug. So for me the service was top rate, thank you!

The best things about the property were the spaciousness, the utilities and it's quirkiness. Set over 6 floors, I had plenty of room to move around in and settle in to. It was quiet, I wasn't disturbed and for me (with no sense of direction) was easily spotted from a distance.

The only thing I didn't like was that I couldn't stay there longer, too booked up! I very much hope to see you all again soon next year.

Liked best: The quirkiness
Travelling group: Solo Traveller
Friends getaway
7 Aug 2015
Thank you for taking the time to leave us such a lovely review. We do try very hard to offer the best customer service and we are so delighted that you enjoyed your stay at The Mill. We truly hope to see you again.
peenerbam...
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Lovely building. Many many rules.”
Reviewed 21 July 2015 for a stay in July 2015
people found this review helpful

I came to the mill with friends as a special celebration for one friend in particular. Upon our arrival we were met by one of the owners. Whilst she made some effort to welcome us, the overwhelming feeling we were left with was anxiety. I was scared to touch anything because she had made it so clear we would be charged for any perceived infarction of the rules, which included thorough cleaning of the property upon leaving. Now neither myself or any of my friends are in the habit of leaving mess behind us, however I would expect part of letting a property out on a holiday basis would involve some cleaning after guests have left in order to ensure the place has been cleaned properly. The impression I get is that any cleaning which has to be done by the owners following check out will incur a charge. I was quite pleased that our friend whom the weekend was in celebration of had not arrived to hear this spiel because it really left us feeling quite flat and drained any excitement from the atmosphere. There were also several issues with the property, for example one of the bathrooms was out of order, and the hot tub was not available. One of the reasons we booked this property was for the hot tub. The reasons for it being unavailable were reasonable, due to a family member who manages the hot tub being hospitalised which of course takes precedence. However there was very little by way of acknowledgement of the impact of this on our holiday, in fact we were told "the hot tub isn't included in the price anyway" due to the additional charge of £10 per usage. Now I would argue that as the property is advertised as having a hot tub it is absolutely included in the price, and the £10 is an additional service charge for cleaning the hot tub. In my mind some small gesture towards it being unavailable, such as a small refund of part of the price given that we had paid something like £700 for two nights stay, would have been better customer service. During our stay the fact that signs were dotted about everywhere stating what we must/must not do meant that additional charges were never far from our minds which led to a less than relaxing stay. There were several small issues, like a sink whose plumbing had come away from the wall, plates being dirty (which, after the rules, we were very surprised to see given that we had been told in no uncertain terms that everything had to be spotless upon our departure), having a very cranky phone call stating one of our cars had been parked "very stupidly" (whilst I can see now it was blocking another part of the drive, it certainly wasn't a very courteous way to ask someone to move their car). I get the impression that the owners care very deeply about their property as they spent a long time renovating it, however this level of concern does not lend itself well to letting the property out. It came across as territorial and controlling, and the dampener it put on our weekend cannot be underestimated. I do appreciate that once you have made something really beautiful you can feel protective over it, however if you are going to let your property out you have to have a base level of trust of your customers. At the end of the day if people are reasonable you have nothing to worry about but if they are not and are the type who break things etc no amount of rules is going to stop that, so you are either wasting your breath on people who will ignore you anyway or ruining the experience of people who wouldn't be a problem in the first place.

Travelling group: Friends
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   No.
21 Jul 2015
We are so sorry that you feel you had to leave the feedback you have.
Sandie welcomed you to the property and we are sorry you felt that this was not to the standard you expected. She really wanted to be with me and to do so would have meant that we would have had to cancel your weekend. We did not wish to ruin your planned stay so Sandie made sure The Mill was prepared for you.She was of course worried for me.
Unfortunately I am suffering with prostate cancer and just prior to your stay unfortunately a tumour had started to press against my spinal chord. Due to this I had to be at the QE hospital in Birmingham.
I look after the hot tubs and we are very proud at the quality of the hot tub facility as well as The Mill it self. Our handy man who looks after these with me was on holiday.
Clearly I was unable to make sure the hot tub was available for your arrival. Sandie asked that the hot tub was not used on the Friday night for you and your guests safety and that we would arrange for the hot tub to be checked on Saturday.
You agreed and informed Sandie that this was not a problem at all and that you understood. The Mill is a self catering property and we do remind guests to leave in a clean and tidy manner, this is just the same as any other self catering property. The rules that you state are no different to those in our terms and conditions you agreed to at the time of booking.
You informed Sandie that you would only be staying the Friday night as you had a newborn child you wished to return to. Sandie advised that as the lead name you should be in attendance at all times as you are the person who had booked the property. We did say however that we would allow your 3 guests who would be remaining to stay on and also to have a later checkout on Sunday.
You called us at 10:31 on Saturday morning to tell us that you and 1 other member of your party were leaving and asked again if it was OK for your remaining guests to leave a little later on check out day. We of course said yes.
You informed us about the leak from the top bedroom sink which had come apart. This was fine before your arrival but I told you not to worry as we did not hold you responsible. You said how wonderful The Mill is and that you were upset you had to leave early.
When I returned from hospital I went to The Mill to make sure the hot tub was ready for your guests. This was at 13:27. On arrival we found a car parked in the middle of the road and our guests from Mill Cottage upset as they could not get their car out without having to drive over the lawn.
I rang the door bell of The Mill but no answer so unfortunately I had to call you as you are the lead name. You apologised and said you would get the vehicle parked correctly. This is not a rule but just thoughtful to others.
I went to check the hot tub to find that the hot tub had been used and that the sanitiser dispenser had been placed into the filter entry point. This had caused the water to become rancid. One of your guests was sitting on the stairs and confirmed that they had used the hot tub.
I replaced water and reset the hot tub.
It was whilst I was making the hot tub ready for use a female member of the party was both rude and aggressive . I understand that this was your sister as you confirmed this and that she tended to be a rude person for which you apologised.
You called us again at 17:46 to inform us that the remaining guests were leaving as your mother had been taken into hospital.
I asked if there was anything we could do and said that your guests should not worry about tidying up because it was more important that they should get back as soon as possible.
We are very upset that you have decided to try to injure us with this review and we hope your mother is feeling much better.
schyoukno...
“Such a memorable holiday!”
Reviewed 25 April 2015 for a stay in April 2015
person found this review helpful

The Mill is without doubt the most memorable and the best equipped holiday cottage we have had the pleasure of staying in! We had kept the exact nature of the accommodation as a surprise for our teenage son and daughter- and the look of disbelief and excitement on their faces when we drew up at the Mill was a pleasure in itself! And then the initial fantastic impression just got better and better- especially when they realised that they didn't just have a room each, but a whole FLOOR! AND wifi! AND a hot-tub! AND straighteners! The Mill was exceptionally well equipped and beautifully presented, and we received an extremely warm welcome from the owners . There were lots of personal and practical touches that got the break off to a fabulous start, and made the experience stand out from the rest. The owners had left lots of provisions (both essentials and treats!), and the dining table was beautifully laid for four. Plenty of soap, shampoo, conditioner, shower gel, toilet roll and kitchen roll were provided, and lovely towels (all things that seem to be lacking in other holiday lets we have stayed in). The views from the mill were breath-taking. We made full use of the hot-tub, and it was so relaxing to sit there at dusk watching the bats flit in and out of the trees. The village itself is very pretty, and everyone we met was friendly and helpful. The little local shop is well stocked. Evening strolls along the canal gave lots of photo opportunities. Thank you so much to Sandi and Simon for letting us share their beautiful mill!

Travelling group: Teenagers
21 Jul 2015
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at The Mill.
We are so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay and that everything was to your satisfaction.
Nicole R
Cheshire, United Kingdom
“A One-Of-A-Kind Relaxing Retreat”
Reviewed 11 January 2015 for a stay in January 2015
people found this review helpful

After trawling the Internet for what seemed to be an eternity, I chose the Mill for a three night stay, a surprise Christmas present for myself and my partner. I was looking to have a break somewhere with character, yet also with all the mod cons which would make our start special, and the Mill certainly lived up to my expectations.

From the moment we arrived, we were struck by the sheer size and aura of the windmill. Once inside, I felt instantly comforted by the calm surroundings and also by Simon and Sandie who welcomed us. They were both lovely, warm and friendly and gave us an overview of the history of the Mill, tips on places to eat/visit etc then left us to enjoy!

Every room is unique, beautifully decorated to high standards that you would expect but still done with a real personal touch which also makes you fell as though you are in a well-loved home. The kitchen was fantastically equipped (for those of you who enjoy cooking) with every utensil and appliance you could wish for. There were also fresh eggs, butter and coffee in the fridge which were a shopping time-saver. The bedroom we stayed in on the top floor was lovely and felt like a cosy mini hideaway all on its own, with great open views and just so peaceful.

This is definitely the place to come if you want to truly relax, get away from it all and spend some quality quiet time with friends, family or as a couple. My favourite room was the lounge where we spent alot of of our time and which had the benefit of being both roomy but cosy at the same time, and included wifi, a decent sound system, plasma screen TV and Netflix (yay! ). I fell in love with the portrait of the bear - who is the artist? I want one!

What I also loved was the fact that you have complete privacy, right down to the enclosed garden which definitely adds to the appeal.

The weather wasn't that great but we really didn't mind as it was still sunny indoors. We took a short walk into the village in the evening and had dinner at the Plough - which is a friendly traditional pub - and the food was good.

I totally disagree with some of the much earlier comments whereby a few individuals felt that there were "too many rules" and instructions. People mustn't forget that they are visiting a listed building which had been lovingly restored and cared for so respecting it and leaving it as you find it is not too much to ask. I also thought it was brilliant that there were instruction manuals for all the kitchen appliances and the owners are only a phone call away if you need any help, which we did on one occasion. We couldn't work out how to switch on the fire in the living room however, but didn't need it anyway as considering the size of the Mill, it was kept toasty enough by the radiators throughout.

All in all we had a wonderful stay and will definitely be back again. PS. The complimentary bottle of wine and toffees were well received :)

5 Apr 2015
Great to meet you both. So pleased you both enjoyed The Mill
braunstonmill.couk
TB0612
Bristol, United Kingdom
“Wacky and wonderful”
Reviewed 8 August 2014 for a stay in August 2014

Although the photos look great the reality is so much better. You have to be there and stay there to really appreciate it. Each floor is excellently presented and we really had a great 3 night stay. The owners were friendly and helpful. We hope to return in the future.

Liked best: Hot tub and TV with free films
Liked least: The ground floor "reading area" was a bit tired looking; not to the standards of the rest.
Travelling group: Young Children
Friends getaway Older travelers
Families with young children
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
  • Was your security deposit returned on time?
16 Aug 2014
Thank you so much for taking the time to review The Mill.
We were so lucky that such a wonderful family chose to stay at The Mill.
Your two lovely girls are a credit to you and we really hope to see you all again.
Lynne7413
Farnborough, United Kingdom
“Perfect accomodation”
Reviewed 18 April 2014 for a stay in April 2014
person found this review helpful

Went away for my 40th birthday with my husband and another couple and we had an amazing weekend.

The accommodation is modern, tastefully decorated and has all the mod cons.

We spent a lot of time in the hot tub, which just added to how great this accommodation is.

The owner of the property was very friendly and upon arrival advised us on some good places to go.

I would definitely recommend going to Gongoozlers Rest Café which is a café on a barge on the canal. The food is amazing and we went there each morning.

There are several pubs, butcher and a shop all within walking distance so need to get in your car if you don't want to.

All in all a perfect setting, perfect accommodation and a super weekend was had by all.

We wouldn't hesitate to recommend to friends and family.

Your age range 35-49
23 Apr 2014
We are so pleased that you had a wonderful stay for such an important occasion. Thank you again for choosing The Mill and we hope to see you all again soon.
PS Gongoozeler sends their regards!
joodStAlb...
St Albans Herts
“Stunning”
Reviewed 14 December 2013 for a stay in December 2013

Just returned from a weekend break at this beautiful mill. It was very clean, very tastefully decorated and equipped, and the owners made us very welcome. Used the hot tub on Saturday night which was very relaxing. We ate at the pub on the Canal on Friday night, and had a lovely meal, within strolling distance from the mill. Simon even sorted out a takeaway for us when we couldn't get through to the normal restaurant, and it was delivered in a taxi free of charge. Would definitely recommend this property as having the "wow" factor. In fact we have already booked to go again.

Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: the comfy lounge
Liked least: the final set of stairs!
Your age range 50-64
Friends getaway
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
  • Was your security deposit returned on time?
19 Dec 2013
Thank you so much for your review. It is always wonderful to hear that our guests have enjoyed their stay. We were delighted that you have booked again this time to bring your family. We look forward to meeting them.
Sorry that you had trouble getting through to our usual recommended take away but I thought you would enjoy the food from Omars.
Have a wonderful Christmas and we look forward to seeing you all in 2014.
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a holiday rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travellers
Set up your free listing