“Beautifully different”
other travellers have booked this property
Check Availability
Request to Book
Make Enquiry
Very good
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

Any
Danny R
“Beautifully different”
Reviewed 21 March 2017 for a stay in March 2017

My girlfriend and I booked the Mill for 3 nights Friday to Monday, as somewhere different to stay. The Mill is beautifully equipped and the perfect getaway to spend a romantic break - it's far too nice to just use as a base to explore the surrounding areas.

We arrived in Braunston very early on the Friday and had a lovely lunch at the Old Plough prior to checking in. As a couple we found out that the £100 discount is for use of one bedroom only, and as much as the four poster room at the very top of the Mill was perfect, I think next time we would choose the bigger room on the floor below - just because of the stairs!! :)

The first full day we visited Warick which was half an hour away, and returned to the Mill and ordered a takeaway from the Chinese recommended by the owners. A lovely evening was spent in the main, huge living room.

On our final full day, we tried the Gongoozlers barge for breakfast which again is recommended, and was entirely different to anything we've been to. Eating breakfast whilst watching swans and ducks swim up to the glass right next to you was lovely. In the evening we took advantage of the amazing kitchen and dining area, which was beautifully laid our for our arrival.

The outside hot-tub was perfect to unwind in also.

We only had to speak to the owners on arrival and departure but did feel if we needed anything they were only a phone call away.

We couldn't find a single thing to be even remotely critical of. Any negative reviews I had read on here beforehand, about signs or rules or whatnot, are completely unwarranted. The place was perfect and we both thoroughly enjoyed spending time here.

We would love to come back again, but not without trying the cottage next door first!

22 Mar 2017
Thank you so much for a your review . We are so pleased you enjoyed your stay at The Windmill and felt that it came up to your expectations .
We would always welcome you back and yes the cottage is superb as well . Sandie
Stowmarket, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 September 2016 for a stay in September 2016

Liked best: Its uniqueness
Liked least: Stairs
Travelling group: Friends
Friends getaway Older travelers
29 Sep 2016
This is such a wonderful review. We try very hard to meet the expectations of our guests and are pleased to have met yours.
We really do hope you will visit us again in the future.
vivalw
Market Harborough, United Kingdom
“Our magical Fairy Tower with caring owners”
Reviewed 29 December 2015 for a stay in December 2015

A family Christmas at a magical, fairytale tower in a pretty village, next to (and nearly as tall as) the spired church next door That is what we booked but we also received the joy of a beautiful home, far better equipped than any of ours, high tech equipment, and gorgeous soft beds. The décor was also lovely---and surprise, surprise ---the owners had set the table for Christmas dinner (crackers, wine, wreath and all) and there was a twinkling Christmas tree in the lounge. That , plus a very generous welcome package of food (Why did I take so much?) gave us an amazing welcome.! I was bowled over. Literally! I had a bad fall on the doorstep, just as Sandi and Simon arrived to welcome us. They took me to their doctors then to the hospital and stayed with me for the whole time, over 3 hours. Their son, Chas, who tried first aid to help me, stayed to help get my husband settled in the Mill . Thank you to Sandi, Simon, Chas and Olivia, from the bottom of my heart. I am disabled and do tend to trip a lot. Why book a windmill then? It was a dream of mine to sleep in a windmill in a round bed and it was worth all the stairs. We had a WONDERFUL week. I would love to return, and the youngsters' delight in the whole place quite made our Christmas. Bless you . May 2016 be a special year for you, happy and healthy

Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: The magical fairy like tower that is a listed building
Liked least: The stairs!
Travelling group: Extended Family
Recommended for:
Friends getaway Families with young children
29 Sep 2016
What a lovely review from such lovely people.
We will never forget you especially after our first meet!
We are delighted that you all enjoyed your stay and thank you for your kind wishes.
becky b
derby
“Unusual accomadation for a surprise birthday treat.”
Reviewed 20 December 2015 for a stay in December 2015

What a fab place to stay. I booked this for a special surprise birthday treat for my husband. On arrival we were greeted by Simon & Sandie who were both lovely & friendly. There were 5 of us staying so we had plenty of space. Each floor is beautifully furnished & colour coordinated, Sandie has great taste & flair! The place was spotlessly clean & the bed linen crisp & comfy. Every aspect of the property just felt really clean. The kitchen is fab & everything you need in it. The nice touches were that tea/ coffee, milk butter eggs & cereals all available to use. There was even a bottle of wine to start us off! The next floor us the lounge area which again is very comfy & spacious for upto 6 people. Then the three bedrooms again were well colour coordinated & a pleasure to sleep in. The views were beautiful. At night the sleep quality was good as so quiet around the area.
I'm not sure why there should be any bad reviews here - I feel that it must be the reviewers that are the problem rather than this property or the owners as we had no issues at all. We only used the hot tub once & it was a lovely treat after a day out & about.
There are some lovely walks nearby & a 'must' is the one to the canal & have breakfast on the Gongoozlers barge where 'Avril' will cook you a fab brekki.
So all in all a great & unusual place to stay with lovely owners who really want you to enjoy your stay.

Value Rooms
Location Cleanliness
29 Sep 2016
It is so lovely to receive a review such as yours. We try very hard to make our guests experience one which exceeds their expectations.
We do hope to see you all again.
jimmyjane...
Darlington, United Kingdom
“Does the Queen live here”
Reviewed 30 August 2015 for a stay in August 2015

"Does the queen live here?" My nine year old said as we pulled up outside the windmill. We had kept our holiday secret. So to see the delight on my two sons' faces when we arrived was so heartwarming. We were greeted on arrival by Simon, who was genuine, friendly and made us feel like nothing was too much trouble. Entering the windmill was like a modern day tardis. A contemporary, smart, beautifully decorated room upon room of pure joy, with all you could wish for. Sandie had thoughtfully laid the dining table for us and not only that but left us groceries, toiletries and treats for our stay. The hot tub was a bit hit, as was the Apple tv, Netflix and wifi. You must visit Avril on Gongoozlers Cafe Barge on the canal. She serves up the most gorgeous, home cooked meals. Simon and Sandie are such a lovely couple whom my boys absolutely loved. I must say, I do find it very odd that one reviewer felt the need to comment on the "many, many rules" and about carrying out a thorough clean before leaving?..,,. We did not find any more rules than we have found in any other holiday home we've stayed it. After all, it's a privelige to stay in such a beautiful, quirky building. You would want to keep it tidy, wouldn't you?,. Thankyou Simon and Sandie. We would love to return in the winter months, was lovely meeting you.

Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: The personal greeting on arrival
Travelling group: Young Children
Your age range 35-49
Friends getaway Older travelers
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
  • Was your security deposit returned on time?
9 Oct 2015
Oh my what a lovely review from such a wonderful family.
Your boys area credit to you and the banter we had was great.
Unfortunately some guest feel like they can come and just trash the building and then when confronted leave reviews which are not quite accurate. I just suppose that in these days some people just have no respect.
We do hope to see you all again.
benjebobs
Cambridgeshire, United Kingdom
“A very unique and quirky experience!”
Reviewed 30 July 2015 for a stay in July 2015

The goal for my holiday (as a solo traveler) was one of privacy and relaxation. I received both at The Mill. I wanted somewhere quiet and peaceful; the fact that the property is so unique was a massive plus for me. I can't review the local amenities as I didn't set foot outside during my entire 4 night stay! But that should give you some indication as to how comfortable the Mill is. And the kitchen is very high spec. Loved the induction cooker!

I only really spoke to Simon (one of the owners) who I found to be friendly, warm and open. I had chipped one of the cups whilst washing it up and apologized and said I would pay to replace it. Simon waved this away and told me not to worry about it; that to me was an important gesture as it showed me he was more concerned that I'd had a good stay rather than quibble over a chipped mug. So for me the service was top rate, thank you!

The best things about the property were the spaciousness, the utilities and it's quirkiness. Set over 6 floors, I had plenty of room to move around in and settle in to. It was quiet, I wasn't disturbed and for me (with no sense of direction) was easily spotted from a distance.

The only thing I didn't like was that I couldn't stay there longer, too booked up! I very much hope to see you all again soon next year.

Liked best: The quirkiness
Travelling group: Solo Traveller
Friends getaway
7 Aug 2015
Thank you for taking the time to leave us such a lovely review. We do try very hard to offer the best customer service and we are so delighted that you enjoyed your stay at The Mill. We truly hope to see you again.
peenerbam...
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Lovely building. Many many rules.”
Reviewed 21 July 2015 for a stay in July 2015
people found this review helpful

I came to the mill with friends as a special celebration for one friend in particular. Upon our arrival we were met by one of the owners. Whilst she made some effort to welcome us, the overwhelming feeling we were left with was anxiety. I was scared to touch anything because she had made it so clear we would be charged for any perceived infarction of the rules, which included thorough cleaning of the property upon leaving. Now neither myself or any of my friends are in the habit of leaving mess behind us, however I would expect part of letting a property out on a holiday basis would involve some cleaning after guests have left in order to ensure the place has been cleaned properly. The impression I get is that any cleaning which has to be done by the owners following check out will incur a charge. I was quite pleased that our friend whom the weekend was in celebration of had not arrived to hear this spiel because it really left us feeling quite flat and drained any excitement from the atmosphere. There were also several issues with the property, for example one of the bathrooms was out of order, and the hot tub was not available. One of the reasons we booked this property was for the hot tub. The reasons for it being unavailable were reasonable, due to a family member who manages the hot tub being hospitalised which of course takes precedence. However there was very little by way of acknowledgement of the impact of this on our holiday, in fact we were told "the hot tub isn't included in the price anyway" due to the additional charge of £10 per usage. Now I would argue that as the property is advertised as having a hot tub it is absolutely included in the price, and the £10 is an additional service charge for cleaning the hot tub. In my mind some small gesture towards it being unavailable, such as a small refund of part of the price given that we had paid something like £700 for two nights stay, would have been better customer service. During our stay the fact that signs were dotted about everywhere stating what we must/must not do meant that additional charges were never far from our minds which led to a less than relaxing stay. There were several small issues, like a sink whose plumbing had come away from the wall, plates being dirty (which, after the rules, we were very surprised to see given that we had been told in no uncertain terms that everything had to be spotless upon our departure), having a very cranky phone call stating one of our cars had been parked "very stupidly" (whilst I can see now it was blocking another part of the drive, it certainly wasn't a very courteous way to ask someone to move their car). I get the impression that the owners care very deeply about their property as they spent a long time renovating it, however this level of concern does not lend itself well to letting the property out. It came across as territorial and controlling, and the dampener it put on our weekend cannot be underestimated. I do appreciate that once you have made something really beautiful you can feel protective over it, however if you are going to let your property out you have to have a base level of trust of your customers. At the end of the day if people are reasonable you have nothing to worry about but if they are not and are the type who break things etc no amount of rules is going to stop that, so you are either wasting your breath on people who will ignore you anyway or ruining the experience of people who wouldn't be a problem in the first place.

Travelling group: Friends
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   No.
21 Jul 2015
We are so sorry that you feel you had to leave the feedback you have.
Sandie welcomed you to the property and we are sorry you felt that this was not to the standard you expected. She really wanted to be with me and to do so would have meant that we would have had to cancel your weekend. We did not wish to ruin your planned stay so Sandie made sure The Mill was prepared for you.She was of course worried for me.
Unfortunately I am suffering with prostate cancer and just prior to your stay unfortunately a tumour had started to press against my spinal chord. Due to this I had to be at the QE hospital in Birmingham.
I look after the hot tubs and we are very proud at the quality of the hot tub facility as well as The Mill it self. Our handy man who looks after these with me was on holiday.
Clearly I was unable to make sure the hot tub was available for your arrival. Sandie asked that the hot tub was not used on the Friday night for you and your guests safety and that we would arrange for the hot tub to be checked on Saturday.
You agreed and informed Sandie that this was not a problem at all and that you understood. The Mill is a self catering property and we do remind guests to leave in a clean and tidy manner, this is just the same as any other self catering property. The rules that you state are no different to those in our terms and conditions you agreed to at the time of booking.
You informed Sandie that you would only be staying the Friday night as you had a newborn child you wished to return to. Sandie advised that as the lead name you should be in attendance at all times as you are the person who had booked the property. We did say however that we would allow your 3 guests who would be remaining to stay on and also to have a later checkout on Sunday.
You called us at 10:31 on Saturday morning to tell us that you and 1 other member of your party were leaving and asked again if it was OK for your remaining guests to leave a little later on check out day. We of course said yes.
You informed us about the leak from the top bedroom sink which had come apart. This was fine before your arrival but I told you not to worry as we did not hold you responsible. You said how wonderful The Mill is and that you were upset you had to leave early.
When I returned from hospital I went to The Mill to make sure the hot tub was ready for your guests. This was at 13:27. On arrival we found a car parked in the middle of the road and our guests from Mill Cottage upset as they could not get their car out without having to drive over the lawn.
I rang the door bell of The Mill but no answer so unfortunately I had to call you as you are the lead name. You apologised and said you would get the vehicle parked correctly. This is not a rule but just thoughtful to others.
I went to check the hot tub to find that the hot tub had been used and that the sanitiser dispenser had been placed into the filter entry point. This had caused the water to become rancid. One of your guests was sitting on the stairs and confirmed that they had used the hot tub.
I replaced water and reset the hot tub.
It was whilst I was making the hot tub ready for use a female member of the party was both rude and aggressive . I understand that this was your sister as you confirmed this and that she tended to be a rude person for which you apologised.
You called us again at 17:46 to inform us that the remaining guests were leaving as your mother had been taken into hospital.
I asked if there was anything we could do and said that your guests should not worry about tidying up because it was more important that they should get back as soon as possible.
We are very upset that you have decided to try to injure us with this review and we hope your mother is feeling much better.
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a holiday rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travellers
Set up your free listing