“Tiny single room”

Ranked #4 of 8 Kenilworth B&B and Inns
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Tiny single room”
Reviewed 5 October 2013

First of all the positives. It's a lovely house in a nice quiet street, great off road customer parking, clean and good wifi. I stayed here to visit a relative en-route to a business appointment so wasn't looking for much more than that tbh. Because breakfast doesn't start until 7am there wasn't time to sample that and no express option ( or reduction in price) was offered but c'est la vie, I guess. It was cheap.

Now to the room. It's possibly the smallest room I've ever slept in - and I'm used to sleeping on boats! If there's a legal minimum for what can be classed as a room, then I hope this is it. The width of the 'room' - created by slicing off from a proper sized room with a stud wall - is determined by the narrow single bed which had an extraordinarily lumpy mattress. The shower room equally small.
If I was to stay again, I'd definitely ask to avoid room 4.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Chelmsford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 August 2013

Had a very comfortable stay at Ferndale House. Comfy, clean and pleasant rooms that were very well equipped.
Fab breakfast, had the full english plus there was cereal, fruit, toast etc all included in the price.
Run by Liz and Derek who were friendly and helpful.
Would definately stay again and would happily recommend.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
York, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 July 2013

My wife and I stayed here for 2 nights while we explored the Warwickshire countryside. The room was very pleasant with a large comfortable bed and the full English breakfast was excellent. Liz and Derek were great hosts and made us feel very welcome.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed 15 April 2013

I stayed at the Ferndale for two weeks while visiting my mum at the Kenilworth Grange. Liz and Derek were great hosts and made me feel very welcome. The room I had was excellent with a comfortable bed, great linens and a TV with many channels. Breakfast was cooked to order and there were many choices, also fresh fruit, cereals, yoghurt and locally made honey. As I was staying for a longer period than most the owners offered me the use of a microwave which made it very convenient to have a hot lunch and dinner - the weather was unusually cold for this time of year! The cleanliness of the entire place was excellent - I would highly recommend it.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled solo
Oslo, Norway
Reviewed 7 April 2013

We spent 4 nights in this charming B&B, occupying a family and a twin room. The family has a double and single, and space for a cot. It has a beautiful, modern en-suite, and all the usual amenities. The twin room was of an equal standard.

We spent our evenings in the comfy lounge, which has a TV.

Breakfast was cooked to order and delicious. Chopped, fresh fruit, cereals, yoghurt and juice were available on a cabinet. The ingredients are locally-sourced.

I'd be happy to return.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
llanbrynmair
Reviewed 6 March 2013

Very comfy and cosy stay in November 2012. Just what was needed as I'd just given a 'Velvet Bulldozer' talk to the fantastic 'Special People' organisation in Kenilworth. They booked me in to Ferndale, for which I was grateful and I left feeling refreshed in the morning after a a very peaceful night of sound sleep and a yummy breakfast. Thank you.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank felicity m
Southampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 March 2013

We stayed at Ferndale as we were going to a family function in Earlsdon and this was approx a 15 min drive away.
When we first arrived, I was slightly concerned about the road Ferndale House is situated on as it seemed fairly busy. However, I needn't of worried as we didn't hear any traffic noise what-so-ever. In fact, we heard nothing at all.
The room ( #2) was clean and comfortable. The bed was very comfortable and good quality bedding had been provided. The bathroom was spotlessly clean throughout. There were plenty of mirrors and storage space as well as a tv. The only slightly negative for me was that I felt the room could have done with a make over as it seemed slightly outdated. But then again, maybe I've watched too many episodes of Four In A Bed and am being too critical.
The breakfast was freshly cooked to order and plentiful. All in all, it was very good value for money and the landlady (?Liz) was very welcoming and helpful.
We took a walk from the B & B into the centre of Kenilworth and a kindly neighbour suggested a route for us that gave good views of the area, then along the High St and back to the B & B. It's only a 5 min walk or so to the High St so no need to take the car.
We would definitely book again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the back of the house maybe.