“Luxury? No. Quirky? Yes.”

The Peacock Townhouse Hotel
Ranked #5 of 7 Hotels in Kenilworth
Whitwick, United Kingdom
“Luxury? No. Quirky? Yes.”
Reviewed 13 September 2013

Strange little hotel. Don't make the mistake I did and book a single room if you are intending on trying to get any work done in your room. It was a very shallow desk and there was so little space in the room that I couldn't put my reference material around me while working. There's a whole list of reasons I was not happy with my stay here:

1. Tiny room
2. Tiny single bed
3. Squeaky bed (sounded like angry ducks any time I moved)
4. Internet works on a voucher system, which is free, but every time you turn off your computer or smartphone it loses the connection and you have to re-enter the password when you want to go back on line.
5. They charge for parking. Now it's not a total rip-off at a fiver, but some of the parking spaces are so small I would worry about parking a motorcycle there, much less a car.
6. Depending on your room, your window could be facing the flue from the kitchen. So I smelled curry all night.
7. The restaurant is not very good value for money if you are used to local similar establishments in the area. In my opinion as well, the food isn't that special either.
8. Shallow desk (see above).
9. Squeaky floor boards in hall-way and poor sound insulation.
10. Incomprehensible billing. My invoice doesn't match what I actually paid.

Having said all that, it is definitely an unusual hotel, and is run by friendly people. So if that's what floats your boat, go for it.

Room Tip: Don't get a single.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (86)
England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 September 2013

In addition to the £5 parking charge (which isn't mentioned until you get to the car park), an extra £5 was added to my bill without explanation when I paid, as requested, at check-in. I did manage to get it refunded at checkout time - but I had to ask about it. Nobody checked the bill against the amount paid and they certainly didn't volunteer a refund.

Not recommended.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business

Travellers are raving about these Kenilworth hotels

Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 August 2013

My wife and i and our 2,5 & 7yr old stayed here for one night before we visited Warwick Castle which is only 15mins drive away.
The staff here are excellent, very helpful. Our room ooms 102 and 104 were large and had everything we needed. Unfortunately, our aircon wasn't working and it was a rather warm night. However, the night manager did try and help. The noise was rather loud from the bar below, but they did turn it off when we pointed this out. Breakfast was lovely and my boys really enjoyed that. It was slightly disappointing that we were charged for using the hotels own car park.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Preston, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 August 2013 via mobile

The hotel was perfectly adequate, but definitely needed a little work. We paid less than £50 for bed and breakfast (for 2), so we weren't expecting anything amazing, but both the air-con and window were broken in the room (the window didn't close properly or lock). The hotel was reasonably clean, and the staff were very friendly. There was plenty of choice for breakfast, and it was tasty too. Overall, the stay was fine for a budget hotel.

• Stayed August 2013
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 August 2013 via mobile

On arrival we had a small hiccup because despite prepaying we were asked for payment. But this was sorted before check out.
The room and bathroom were very small. But every effort had been made to ensure guests had everything needed. The complimentory water was very welcome during the night and the little toiletries selection was also handy. Bonus points for free wifi which whilst slow was usable. On a negative though we don't expect to pay for car parking and whilst £5 isn't much, it's enough for me to consider alternative hotels next time.

• Stayed August 2013
Castle Douglas, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 August 2013

Having previously written a good review of this hotel I was very disappointed to find on a return visit that they have got greedy and introduced parking charges for overnight guests. This has put me off using or recommending them

Stayed June 2013, travelled on business