“Dissapointing”

Ranked #5 of 7 Hotels in Kenilworth
Cardiff, United Kingdom
“Dissapointing”
Reviewed 28 May 2014

We stayed in this hotel recently which was a little tired in appearance but had a very professional welcome. Unfortunately there was no heating or hot water in our room which was reported when we arrived but was not fixed until 9.30pm. We were expecting a small reduction in the bill which was refused and then asked that the hotel manager rang us. No communication was made by the management and this left us feeling that Premier Inns are the only reliable source of accommodation.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Karen W

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (94)
Reviewed 26 May 2014

Although we only live in Coventry, we wanted a night out and thought we'd treat ourselves to a night in a hotel.
The hotel is on the High St and absolutely perfect for the many restaurants and bars and within walking distance of Kenilworth Castle and Abbey Fields.
We were on the ground floor overlooking the car park. The room was a decent size, comfortable with good facilities. It could probably do with a redecoration but this wasn't a problem.
All the staff we're extremely helpful and friendly. The beds were comfortable and the room was very clean. We didn't eat our evening meal there but had breakfast which offered plenty of choice and was cooked to order, although I was a little disappointed that my veggie sausage had been fried.
Our only frustration was that the wifi kept dropping out and we had to keep signing back in, but that was just a tiny issue.
For the price, we had a lovely stay and would recommend it to anyone visiting Kenilworth.

Room Tip: Some reviewers have complained about small rooms, so ask for a larger one.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Coventry, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 May 2014

We stayed in this quaint hotel recently on a last minute decision. Staff were extreamly pleasant and friendly. room was a little tired but atmoshpere of rest of the hotel was very welcoming. Same members on staff during our stay, one receptionist and one night porter. both extremly friendly and helpfull. Very effiecient staff, nothing was too much trouble for them. We didnt eat in the restaurant, but it did look lovely, breakfast was most enjoyable, and served by the same two members of staff, who for the hours they must work, didnt faulter, were very professional.

Would live to stay here again, just hope that it isnt their day off.

Room Tip: room at the back of the hotel, in the courtyard, very quiet, great for relaxing.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 1 May 2014

The staff were all very friendly and helpful. Rooms were clean and neat with all the necessary essentials.

Breakfast was fantastic. Cooked to order with a good selection of continental items to begin.

The only small thing for me was in the single room I stayed in the bathroom was quite small. A corner toilet rather than a straight one would have utilised the space a bit better and made it feel less cramped.

Overall a pleasant stay with good car parking facilities and right in the middle of Kenilworth.

• Stayed April 2014
Reading, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 April 2014

Disappointed with this hotel, like many Best Westerns they can be a real mixed bag, some great some not so. This one is in need of some TLC. The room I stayed in was shabby, I would imagine was last refub'd a long time ago. However my colleague who also stayed here at the same time had a much largerroom which looked in much better decorative order. Would I stay here again, no. Staff here very polite but let down by the hotel itself.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business

Travellers are raving about these Kenilworth hotels

Kenilworth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 April 2014 via mobile

This hotel has a lot going for it. I stayed here one night alone whilst attending a dog grooming competition in the nearby Kennel Club. The receptionist (The only member of staff I met during my stay) was very pleasant and welcoming.
I stayed in room 101 which is the first room at the top of the stairs. Consequently I could clearly hear the people downstairs in the bar until 12:30 when they all trooped past my room to go to bed and again at breakfast when they trooped past very loudly at 7:30. I cant really blame the hotel for this but I did book 4 months in advance so I dont think they allocate the rooms fairly.
On a positive note the room was clean, beautifully decorated had nice tea and coffee making facilities.
As other reviewers have said the beds and pillows are really quite hard and I'm not picky about things like that but it felt like I was sleeping on packed sand!
As also noted, the water pressure in the shower was ridiculously low in my room. There is no radiator in the bathroom so it can be quite cold when getting out of the shower.
The only other thing I would say is there was no remote fir the tv I don't think residents should have to pay to use the hotel's car park.

• Stayed April 2014
1 Thank mssjoyc
Guildford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 April 2014

Whilst carrying out work for a company located near Coventry, my wife veiwed this hotel for me and on on the basis of the room she had been shown and the general look of the hotel, booked me in for three nights then two a week as an ongoing basis.

When I fist arrived I was informed of the £5.00 per night car parrk charge. As others have found, this clause was hidden in the small print but this actually increases the cost by nearly 10% over what is expected.

I tend to pay for the room on account then pay everything else as I go when I'm away, seems to make it easier on check-out.

The room I was shown to was very small and I was surprised that my wife had booked me into such a small room but I didn't say anything at the time.

When I visited the restaurant, the owner or manager seemed very freindly and charming. I ordered a two course Indian meal (I wouldn't have been able to manage the three course deal) and initially felt I was being well looked after. The food was nice then came the bill, where for instance he'd brought out a popadom (which I thought was part of the deal or good customer relations after the car park charge) this was on the bill and there was also an additional 10%charge. When I challenged the bill, his command of English seeme to diminish and there was some admittance of a mistake. I also found drinks very expensive for a cheap hotel.

When I told my wife how small and pokey the room was, she was amazed and said that she had been shown a nice room. It quickly became apparrent that she had been shown a totally different room to what was allocated to me.

The next evening I had fish and chips in the bar (the restaurant is actually quite expensive for a small hotel) and again, the 10% surcharge had been applied so again I tackled the owner / manager.

I quite fancied trying one of the Indian breakfasts but I didn't bcause I didn't know what additional charges would be applied over the bed and breakfast rate.

On the final night I had an Indian meal again and made it very clear that I didn't want anything that wasn't included in the deal. Once again, the bill came with a 10% surcharge. Again, came the admittance of a mistake.

I checked out the next morning and made it very clear that I would not be going back.

Room Tip: Beware of the hidden charges
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business