“Nice hotel, shame we got ripped off !!”

Chesford Grange - A QHotel
Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Kenilworth
Newcastle, United Kingdom
“Nice hotel, shame we got ripped off !!”
Reviewed 14 June 2011

I am extremely unhappy about some things and the hidden costs during our stay

I was informed there would be a holding charge of £50 per night I was never informed of this prior to our arrIval.

If you add things to your hotel bill beware..Nowhere on the QHotels website, is there information displayed on any menu/bar price or paperwork stating there will be additional charges of 20% VAT on everything you purchase.

I was astounded to learn that if I had paid cash at the bar (like the customer next to me paying £3.80 for a beer while mine was £4.56) no VAT would apply but I was only informed of this when checking out of the hotel, this generated a considerable increase in my final bill.

I was charged a 10% service charge at the bar (twice) when I got my own drinks from the bar, and even 20% VAT on the service charge!! come on thats so unfair!!!

We had a childrens dinner charge added to the bill (we have no children)

I have no problem paying for what I use during my stay but not being informed at anytime in anyway that 20% VAT was applicable even on my £40 booking fee

I eventually managed to get round the language barrier with your reception staff (very pleasant by the way) and had the service charge and childs dinner charge refunded, but this was not offered to me until I requested it.

On ordering our evening meal in your restaurant, we did not receive our pre-meal bread until our starters had already arrived, on enquiring about the bread the waitress appeared to be very disgruntled that she had been asked for something 'she' had obviously forgot about, (not very attentive at times) we asked for a jug of water but received a bottle, which was going to be charged for until I pointed out this was not our mistake.

Our main meal arrived and my food had to be returned to the kitchen as it was barely warm, it returned piping hot as it had obviously been placed under a grill and was therefore very overcooked ( belly pork)

We requested a cheese board for two people to share and if possible a bowl of mixed olives, we only got a one person cheese board between the two of us and the olives were inedible, by this stage we had given up and said nothing.

On arriving for breakfast each morning we had to request tea as it was not offered to us.

There was only one set of Towels in our room, and only one bathrobe.

On both nights we were kept awake by people in the next rooms having loud sex ( three different rooms to be precise) not what we want to hear on a relaxing stay.

On a positive note the restaurant manager and our male waiter were excellent and we actually pointed this out to both parties.

If you wish to use the small swimming pool beware you cant do much swimming as this is a family hotel, they have 2 heated poolside loungers, only one actually worked, so there was a little queue forming

Overall we could've had a very nice stay, this was meant to be a treat for my wife's birthday, just as well I checked the bill to prevent overcharging and just as well I happened to have enough money in my bank to pay for the unmentioned 20% additional VAT charge, surely the VAT charge should be on display at the bar, at lunch and on the Hotel information booklet entitled 'Q's and A's' or even on the website.

This is a very poor show by Q Hotels in what could have been a great weekend

Room Tip: VAT will be added to your final bill so pay cash
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
ElaineWarwickshire, General Manager at Chesford Grange - A QHotel, responded to this review, 16 June 2011
Dear stee41

Thank you for your post following your recent stay at Chesford Grange and I am very sorry you were disappointed with certain aspects of your stay.

I am in receipt of your email from our Customer Relations Department at Head office and I understand apologies have been made which I would like to re - iterate on behalf of the hotel and would like to assure you all the issues detailed have been addressed.

However, your comments regarding the vat were of particular concern to me and I would not like other reviewers to read them and be deterred from visiting Chesford Grange. VAT is included in all our prices and is not an additional charge that is levied on check out. By law a breakdown of the charges is shown at the bottom of all invoices which indicates the amount of vat that is included in the final total.

Once again, thank you for your feedback.

Andrew Fox

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (482)
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 June 2011

This hotel has a fantastic location - close to Warwick and Leamington Spa which both have lovely shopping, restaurants and attractions, but still surrounded by greenery and woodland. You can walk for miles through fields and trees from the hotel. I went for a hen night so we had multiple rooms between us and they vary in quality massively - me and the lady I was sharing with had a beautiful, huge room with a queen bed each, whereas others in the party who paid the same price and booked the same day I did had rooms more akin to a travelodge, and yet others still got a free upgrade and had a whole suite! This discrepancy is pretty unacceptable and unfair in my opinion, it didn't lead to any bad feeling between us but I feel the price should reflect the quality. How can we all pay the same price and have such wildly varying rooms? The facilities were OK but rather tiny; there was one family with three children in the pool and I felt like I was intruding by getting in myself. Breakfast was nice, staff were pleasant, room was clean and comfy and the grounds are beautiful - but generally I felt it was a little overpriced and not quite as luxurious as the website made out, and the random allocation of rooms was a little strange.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with friends
ElaineWarwickshire, General Manager at Chesford Grange - A QHotel, responded to this review, 15 June 2011
Dear JO4NN4

Thank you for taking the time to review Chesford Grange following your recent stay for a hen weekend. I am pleased that overall you had an enjoyable stay and found your room to be clean and comfortable and our team friendly and helpful.

However, I am sorry some of your party were not given a complimentary upgrade to a Superior room. Where possible, if we have the availability we will allocate Superior rooms on a first come first served basis and unless the bookings are all in one name we would not have known who the different members of your party were.

Once again, thank you for your post and I hope this will not deter you from returning to Chesford Grange and QHotels on a future occasion.

France
Reviewed 13 June 2011

Really good 4 star country house hotel, in well appointed grounds, that lives up to and beyound its rating.
We stayed over Christmas with family and where delighted with everything including the price.
Well appointed large clean bedrooms, good food, superb bar area, execellent friendly staff. Nothing more could you have wished for
I often stay at 4 star hotels, this one is exceptional.
Well done QHotels and the staff, we'll be back.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled with family
ElaineWarwickshire, General Manager at Chesford Grange - A QHotel, responded to this review, 14 June 2011
Dear foxmoor

Thank you for your fantastic review regarding your stay at Chesford Grange and for giving us a top score and recommending us to a friend.

I am delighted you had a good festive break with us and if you go to our website you will find the prices for our Christmas and New Year Breaks for 2011 hard to beat. We also offer some great deals for relatives visiting family locally over the Festive Period.

Once again, thanks for your post and I hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back in the not too distant future.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 June 2011

I stayed here for a business trip. Our group was split between this hotel and the Stratford Manor which is the sister hotel 10 mins away. Both hotels were quite literally in the middle of nowhere, but the whole of my trip was focused at the hotels (conference/meals/etc) so it wasn't too much of a problem. The hotels were nice and clean. The Grange is an old building, but it's been well maintained and still retains a lot of the old charm/feature of the original building. There was a pool and spa at the Grange, but I was very busy througout my stay and so was unable to experience the pool/spa, but upon passing it looked nice/clean/enjoyable. My room/bathroom was clean as were my bedlinens and towels. I found the staff to be very friendly and very helpful and it seemed the hotels went to a special effort to accommodate our group and to make us feel very welcome--which was much appreciated!!! I ate all of my meals at the hotels and I found them all to be very good. The breakfast is a buffet and all meals catered well for vegetarians. I can not comment on price as my boss paid for everything, but both hotels were lovely! If you stay at either hotel you will need a car as it is miles from anything. There is lots of free parking and the staff are very helpful with directions to neighboring towns! The Stratford Manor hotel has secured/gated parking and you are given a password upon arrival. I would go back to stay at either of these hotels and I would recommend them to others.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled on business
Dear WorldTimeTravel

I am delighted you had an enjoyable stay here at Chesford Grange and also our sister hotel the Stratford Manor. Thank you for your comments regarding the service from our teams and I am glad we looked after you and your colleagues well.

As you rightly state, both hotels have a countryside location but both hotels are not far from major motorway networks and rail links. Perhaps you would like to return on a future occasion for a leisure break, just visit our website for some fantastic deals and offers all year round.

Thanks again and I hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back soon.

Grimsby, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 June 2011

We`ve been to other hotels within the Q hotels group & have always been impressed & are so with Chesford Grange. Rooms very nicely appointed, staff attentive & very helpful. Hotel set in its own grounds & a walk through them was very pleasant. Bar prices are usual hotel bar prices i.e high.....too high for soft drinks. Breakfast was very nice too, food nicely laid out & prepared. The only downside was all the cigarette ends that were scattered about the grounds either outside of the bedrooms & designated smoking areas or outside of the staff doors, this was disappointing to see from what was otherwise & lovely stay

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
Dear thegreenteam12

Thank you for your excellent post and I am delighted you had an enjoyable stay at Chesford Grange. Thank you also for highlighting the team for their service and I will share your comments with them all.

However, your feedback regarding the cigarette ends was actioned immediately as we take pride in the 17 acres of grounds the hotel is situated in and I am sorry this marred an otherwise faultless stay.

Thanks again and I hope we will have the opportunity of welcoming you back in the not too distant future.

Worcester, UK
Reviewed 12 June 2011

We were very much looking forward to this weekend of relaxation, nice food and the Warwick castle tickets. WHAT A LET DOWN! The hotel is very tired inside and out. Our room was too Ikea-ish, not homely and definitely lacked comfort. The food was over priced, had a better steak elsewhere for a lot less. The Spa was non-existent and almost an after thought on the gym reception, and it was made clear on more than one occasion from the non-friendly gym assistant that there were no massages available. The only positive comments we can make was that we had a half decent breakfast and the standard of the bathroom.
To conclude, over-priced and you'd be better off at a Premier Inn

Room Tip: Don't stay there
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank WorcesterCouple09
Dear WorcesterCouple 09

Thank you for your review following your stay at Chesford Grange and I'm very sorry that it didn't go exactly as you had planned. I was particularly concerned to read your comments regarding the spa and the service you received. On a more positive note, I am pleased you enjoyed your breakfast.

As you can see from previous reviews we normally receive excellent comments regarding the service from the team and this will be addressed immediately, along with your feedback regarding the steak at dinner.

I do hope my apologies will be accepted and thank you again for your post.

Blyth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 June 2011

Could not have asked for better. Good rate, great room, excellent service, highly recommended.

• Stayed June 2011
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kenilworth
Stratford Manor Hotel
Woodside Hotel
Woodside Hotel
#2 of 7 in Kenilworth
Holiday Inn Kenilworth - Warwick

Been to Chesford Grange - A QHotel? Share your experiences!