I am extremely unhappy about some things and the hidden costs during our stay
I was informed there would be a holding charge of £50 per night I was never informed of this prior to our arrIval.
If you add things to your hotel bill beware..Nowhere on the QHotels website, is there information displayed on any menu/bar price or paperwork stating there will be additional charges of 20% VAT on everything you purchase.
I was astounded to learn that if I had paid cash at the bar (like the customer next to me paying £3.80 for a beer while mine was £4.56) no VAT would apply but I was only informed of this when checking out of the hotel, this generated a considerable increase in my final bill.
I was charged a 10% service charge at the bar (twice) when I got my own drinks from the bar, and even 20% VAT on the service charge!! come on thats so unfair!!!
We had a childrens dinner charge added to the bill (we have no children)
I have no problem paying for what I use during my stay but not being informed at anytime in anyway that 20% VAT was applicable even on my £40 booking fee
I eventually managed to get round the language barrier with your reception staff (very pleasant by the way) and had the service charge and childs dinner charge refunded, but this was not offered to me until I requested it.
On ordering our evening meal in your restaurant, we did not receive our pre-meal bread until our starters had already arrived, on enquiring about the bread the waitress appeared to be very disgruntled that she had been asked for something 'she' had obviously forgot about, (not very attentive at times) we asked for a jug of water but received a bottle, which was going to be charged for until I pointed out this was not our mistake.
Our main meal arrived and my food had to be returned to the kitchen as it was barely warm, it returned piping hot as it had obviously been placed under a grill and was therefore very overcooked ( belly pork)
We requested a cheese board for two people to share and if possible a bowl of mixed olives, we only got a one person cheese board between the two of us and the olives were inedible, by this stage we had given up and said nothing.
On arriving for breakfast each morning we had to request tea as it was not offered to us.
There was only one set of Towels in our room, and only one bathrobe.
On both nights we were kept awake by people in the next rooms having loud sex ( three different rooms to be precise) not what we want to hear on a relaxing stay.
On a positive note the restaurant manager and our male waiter were excellent and we actually pointed this out to both parties.
If you wish to use the small swimming pool beware you cant do much swimming as this is a family hotel, they have 2 heated poolside loungers, only one actually worked, so there was a little queue forming
Overall we could've had a very nice stay, this was meant to be a treat for my wife's birthday, just as well I checked the bill to prevent overcharging and just as well I happened to have enough money in my bank to pay for the unmentioned 20% additional VAT charge, surely the VAT charge should be on display at the bar, at lunch and on the Hotel information booklet entitled 'Q's and A's' or even on the website.
This is a very poor show by Q Hotels in what could have been a great weekend
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Chesford Grange is a unique hotel based in Warwickshire. The historic charm oozes from every corner, from it's red roofed turrets and Tudor style exterior to the majestic splendour that awaits you inside. The hotel is set within 17 acres of countryside which is ideal for team building or indeed a leisurely stroll. Even though you may feel a million miles away, the hotel is near the M40 and M69, and is just 5 miles from Warwick Castle and 13 miles from Birmingham Airport.The hotel is home to state of the art conference facilities. There are 13 conference and meeting rooms with a total capacity of up to 700 delegates. For relaxation on the night the hotel is home to a relaxing leisure and spa. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, Booking.com, TripOnline SA, Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly, Ebookers and Cancelon so you can book your Chesford Grange - A QHotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Chesford Grange - a q Hotel Kenilworth
- Chesford Grange Kenilworth
- Chesford Grange Hotel
- Hotel Chesford Grange
- Chesford Grange - A QHotel Kenilworth, Warwickshire