“A tired hotel”

Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Kenilworth
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“A tired hotel”
Reviewed 10 June 2012

Having stayed at another of the hotels in this chain recently we had high expectations of the Chesford but unfortunately it did not fully meet these. On arrival the very nice receptionist checked us in and gave us a real feeling of a relaxing country hotel. However, on arrival in our room this view changed, the room on the bottom floor was very small and very dark. Small things showed the room was getting very tired and in need of an upgrade. The view of a wall, the side of the gym and a tree met us as we looked out of the window. On entering the bar for some reason it was freezing cold and lacked enough seating, the bar staff mixed from very good to tipping drinks over the floor as they brought it to you. The restaurant for breakfast had a que each day but this did quickly move along. The food was very good and although sometimes the hot drinks were slow it was a very good experience. On an evening however, the food did not match up. The menu was a very acquired taste and a number of things were not being served as they did not have them. A short drive into leamington spa however, gave us a fantastic meal for half the price, worth thinking about. Overall the hotel is comfy, in a very nice area however, it needs an update, especially in the rooms.

Room Tip: Ask for a higher floor room, you certainly want to avoid the bottom floor
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
AKFox1, General Manager at Chesford Grange - A QHotel, responded to this review, 12 June 2012
Dear AruPal10

I am sorry that you had a mixed experience and I have shared your comments with all the team. Where possible, we will give every attention to rectify the issues.

The bedrooms you mention are currently being fitted with air conditioning, perhaps if you consider returning in the future you may wish to upgrade to a 'Superior' room which have some added luxuries for a small supplement.

Thank you again for your post.

Andrew Fox

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (481)
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 June 2012

We booked a one night spa break which included a spa treatment, lunch, dinner and bed and breakfast for £109 per person.

When we arrived there was a race to get the loungers by the pool as there are only 5 and as well as the normal hotel guests there were also at least 10 ladies on spa days. If you don't get a seat there's no relaxing for you!
The pool is a normal hotel sized pool and there is a steam room but no jacuzzi. I think it's a bit cheeky selling spa days as it's not really set up to cater for it. Children were in the pool all day (which they have the right to be) but when you have booked a spa day, screaming children doesn't really give you the atmosphere you are looking for!

The massage was nice but the CD skipped on every song and had to be moved forward. As well as this the bed I was on was very squeeky so wasn't relaxing. The most annoying part was when I was left for 5 minutes or so after my back massage to relax and I had to get up and turn the CD off as it was skipping!

Despite these negative points the hotel was lovely. Every member of staff we met was very friendly. The lunch we got included was an excellent size and very tasty as was the dinner in the evening.
The hotel room was a good size with a safe and was clean and tidy.
I would return to this hotel but would not go as a spa day. Would get a cheap deal and maybe pay for a treatement if I wanted one.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
Dear teacher_jones

Thank you for your post following your stay at Chesford Grange for a one night spa package, I am very sorry the pool and facilities did not live up to your expectations. During half term the pool area does tend to be busier and with the terrible weather last week everyone wanted to be inside.

However, we will look into the problem with the cd player in the beauty room as you are correct this is not conducive to a relaxing treatment.

On a more positive note, thank you for your kind comments regarding the service from the team and the food and I am pleased that you will return on another break in the future.

UK
Reviewed 7 June 2012

I had mixed feelings about this hotel, but ultimately the fact that housekeeping came through for me when my daughter left her favourite cuddly dog -- and sent it on in the post to us at no charge the next day -- makes me eternally grateful and makes up for some snags. Five stars to housekeeping!!!

My checkin was easy. I was lucky enough to get a car park spot -- that's my first observation, that for the size of the hotel, the car park is not large enough.

I had a "Superior Family Room" with two double beds and a fridge. The beds were pretty good and we had no trouble sleeping. The room overlooked a meadow at the rear of the hotel which was chock full of wild rabbits, which the kids loved. The fridge however either was not working or was not cold enough to cool things (i.e. what it was for). I complained on Friday and someone checked it out and agreed that it was not cold. Then that was it - no one fixed it. When I checked out 2 days later I said "the fridge is not working" and they apologised and said I should have said something -- which I had, but the message had not made it back to reception.

The hotel is lovely and clean and comfortable. I didn't have any drinks at the bar, but I appreciated the lively atmosphere.

Breakfast was another matter. I am an experienced traveller, and I honestly cannot recall a single time where I had to queue 10 minutes waiting for a table. Like the car park, I feel that the breakfast room is insufficiently large for the number of guests. Either that or the hotel need more staff working the room. The wait itself would not have been enough to put me off, but it was clear to me that the staff were quite stressed out. I was there with my four small children, which admittedly is unusual but *not* worthy of an exasperated sign from the person seating me (although the young lady the next day was much more pleasant). On my second morning I was offered coffee/tea after being seated 20 minutes, and it actually showed up 20 minutes after that. It was no good moaning because the staff were zipping around so fast that getting their attention would have been futile. I noticed at least one other table actually stop a server and say "Please can you bring us coffee, we are still waiting." The food was good quality and varied, but again there was a queue. I just think a re-think of the system may be in order.

Another comment: the hotel has a modern TV facility with in-room movies ... but only 16 channels? Dear Qhotels, I speak for parents of small children everywhere when I say Please Add Cbeebies. And Please for the love of God reposition the "Adult Movies" option so that it is not exactly beside the "Family Movies" option.

Finally the pool. I thought the pool was great, with a baby pool as part of the main pool but separated by a partition. I wish I would have known that the hotel rule was two children per adult. I ended up keeping two in the baby pool (with me) and letting the older two swim (in 1.2 metre water). I suppose by rights I should have not used the pool altogether according to their rules, but I had expressly chosen the hotel because it had a pool.

I would return here. I think the hotel is basically solid but could use a little bit of improvement. Ultimately it is hard to find rooms to accommodate large families, so I am grateful for the option.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
Dear zmrzlina

Thank you for your detailed review and I am very sorry that you had a mixed experience during your recent stay at Chesford Grange. On a positive note, I am pleased we were able to return your Daughter's toy.

However, please be assured that we do take all our guest feedback on board and your comments regarding breakfast were of particular concern to me, these will be addressed as soon as possible but I am pleased you will return on a future occasion despite this.

Perhaps you could let us know your room number so we can ensure the fridge has now been fixed and I apologise again, for the inconvenience caused.

Thank you again for your review and I hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back in the not too distant future.
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 June 2012

We have just returned from a three night stay over the jubilee weekend.
The hotel was lovely and the staff have been brilliant, we were a party of four and have enjoyed
Our stay. The room was more than we could have expected and the breakfast which was buffet
Style had a good choice of both hot and cold dishes. The hotel was very busy and there was also
A wedding taking place , but this didn't effect the service we received.
The surrounding area of kenilworth was a short drive away about 2miles from the hotel,we were able to enjoy restaurants there with a short taxi ride, would definitely return again to this hotel. Derek and Janice from Manchester.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
Dear Derek L

Thank you very much for your excellent review and I am delighted to read that you and your friends could not fault us. The other 20 QHotels in the group are all in fantastic locations and most of them are near to historic towns and attractions.

If you are not already a member, you may want to consider joining our 'Breakaway Club' which offers you exclusive deals all year round and promotions for future stays with QHotels for just a small joining fee.

Thanks again for your review and I will share your feedback with the team.

Yorkshire
Reviewed 6 June 2012

Last week we spent a few days at Chesford Grange with a group of elderly friends. We found the meals excellent, especially the breakfasts but, as we'd been warned in advance, the drinks expensive. As we enjoy chatting together over a drink before and after meals this was a disappointment. We had also read that the bedrooms were too hot and found this true though we discovered there was an electric fan that we used and kept on all night!! We had never seen nylon blankets before and didn't like the idea but as it was we didn't use them. The staff were friendly and helpful.
The first night we didn't sleep too well because of doors bangiing into the small hours but it improved the other nights. We thought the toiletries in the bathroom were a bit mean, a tiny bottle of shampoo, and shower liquid for two of us, and no showercap

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
Dear KayYorkshire

Many thanks for your review and I am pleased that overall you and your friends enjoyed your stay with us. You may have noticed that we have received a few comments regarding the drinks prices and we are currently looking into this.

I am also pleased to advise that our standard guest rooms are being fitted with air conditioning during June so hopefully, you will come and visit us again to see the improvement this has made for the comfort of our guests.

Thanks again, and we look forward to having the opportunity of welcoming you back again soon.

Bournemouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 June 2012

My husband and I stayed here with our 4 year old daughter. The room was spacious and clean. The gym was well equipped and the pool great fun for our little girl. Wish we could have stayed longer so I could have taken advantage of the lovely spa treatments available. Great choice on the menu for both dinner and breakfast and the children's menu excellent.

Room Tip: Higher floors have less noise from a/c units
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
Dear Jenny B

Thank you for your review and I am pleased that you and your family enjoyed your break at Chesford Grange, thank you also for giving us a top score.

We do offer some lovely treatments and hopefully you will return in the future to try them, we do advise that you book in advance due to their popularity!

We look forward to welcoming you back very soon.

Solihull, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 May 2012

Funny enough I have spent a great deal of time at the hotel on business and on relaxing weekends away. I have had the pleasure of spending time in this centre on conferences, meetings and briefings yet decided to take a leisure weekend away with family. I think that tells you so much about how I feel about this very special hotel. It is clean, offers comfortable accommodation, friendly and helpful and the building is unique. I like the mix of old and new structures and the lovely grounds. Great location to major road networks yet still retaining a sense of peace and tranquility. It was this hotel that persuaded me to join the Q Hotel's Club. I really haven't regretted that decision. A good place to stay if you wish to visit Birmingham, Solihull, Warwick, Stratford, Kenilworth or many other West Midlands attractions.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
Dear MRB01

Many thanks for your kind comments and I am delighted to read that you cannot fault us whether travelling on business or pleasure, I hope your family enjoyed the break too. Our Breakaway Club is a great way to see all the hotels in the group as it offers some great deals all year round as well as money off vouchers.

We hope to see you again very soon on business or pleasure!

Andrew Fox
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kenilworth
Stratford Manor Hotel
#3 of 16 in Leamington Spa
Woodside Hotel
Woodside Hotel
#2 of 7 in Kenilworth

Been to Chesford Grange - A QHotel? Share your experiences!