“A Good Base to Explore the Surrounding Countryside”

Chesford Grange - A QHotel
Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Kenilworth
Uxbridge, United Kingdom
“A Good Base to Explore the Surrounding Countryside”
Reviewed 11 November 2013

My wife and I recently spent two nights at this hotel, to use as a base to visit, particularly, Warwick and Stratford-upon-Avon.
It is a sizeable hotel and convention centre set in a very quiet countryside area. It has been extended several times from the central manor house, and now presents a very comfortable resting place. Our room was very quiet, as requested, beautifully decorated, and lacked nothing that we would have expected. The tea/coffee maker was appreciated, as always.
The buffet breakfast was substantial, and it would take a nit-picker to complain about the offerings. The dinner menu was varied and interesting, and quality was not lacking at all.
Overall, a thoroughly good professional and competent service from beginning to the end.
We would certainly return to this hotel if the need arose in the future.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
AKFox1, General Manager at Chesford Grange - A QHotel, responded to this review, 12 November 2013
Dear Andrew HT

What a great review and you have summed up your stay brilliantly, I am pleased you enjoyed the hotel and the service and as you rightly say, we are a good base to visit all the attractions in Warwickshire.

I hope we have the pleasure of your company again soon.

Andrew Fox

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (480)
Dudley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 November 2013

My husband and I stayed here for a short spa break. It was lovely. The staff were helpful and very welcoming. The rooms are comfortable and had everything you could require on a short stay.

The hotel decor has character. The grounds are picturesque.

The meals were tasty and the service was good.

Overall, would stay here again.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Mesbah S

Thank you for your short but sweet review and I am delighted you had an enjoyable spa break at Chesford Grange. We hope to welcome you back soon.

KENT
Reviewed 10 November 2013

We stayed Mon - Thurs on a special offer of £185 for 3 nights bed and breakfast - extremely good value. Room was excellent, every convenience (no minibar tho). Bathroom very nicely fitted with a good shower (over the bath). The bed was wonderfully comfy. All the public areas were very nice and comfy, and although there were lots of people around, there was plenty of room in the bars and restaurant. Food was very good. All the staff were charming. We had a little problem in the restaurant - we waited for 35 minutes for our pudding, then when we asked for the bill we mentioned we hadn't in fact had them, but had been charged. They straight away offered them free of charge. There was also a mistake with an overcharge on the wine, and they immediately deducted the cost of my glass of wine without quibble. So, although there was a slight problem, it was quickly resolved to our satisfaction. We didn't use the spa, but looked in, and it all seemed very nice and clean. All in all we had a very nice stay, and would certainly visit again.

Room Tip: We had room 208 - ground floor twin. Excellent - refurbished. Very comfy beds, good shower.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear christinekelly07

Thank you for your comments and I am delighted you had an enjoyable stay with us and enjoyed the food and the service from our friendly team, and found the break excellent value for money.

We look forward to welcoming you back sometime in the future.

Southport, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 November 2013

Arrived on Saturday afternoon and was greeted by Anton who was very pleasant and very helpful. The room we were given 252 was clean and tidy and there was a bottle of nice wine waiting for us. although there were 2 bath mats under the legs on the bed!!! very strange and very unnecessary.
Breakfast was very nice and the waitress couldn't do enough to help. Food was hot and plentiful.
With the package we bought we received tickets to Warwick castle, if you have never been it is well worth a trip.
After a long day at the Castle we were looking forward to our evening meal, I have to say I was slightly disappointed.
Firstly I felt that the restaurant was cool, secondly there wasn't a particularly big menu and then one of the special was off and nothing to replace it. We were eating at 7 pm how could they have run out of chicken by then? they had also run out of one of the desserts again from a very limited menu. My husband ordered the Eldeflower berry jelly, which was suppose to come with ice cream and lavender meringue well it was spot the berries! then we had to ask for the ice cream as they had forgotten to add it to the dessert and the meringue was practically non existent it was just like gelatin with ONE berry in it. Not very nice at all.People who know my husband will be surprised that he hasn't managed to finished part of his meal as he is not at all fussy.
The good things now because NOTHING is ever all bad.
The grounds are stunning, the gym is good and everywhere is clean and tidy.
Stocks of tea/coffee and biscuits were replenished.
on the whole we had a nice time, I don't think I would have dinner there again not until they made a few changes to the restaurant.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear IssyMez

Thank you for your review and for giving us a score of 4 although you had a disappointing experience at dinner. Your comments will be addressed as this is unacceptable, I am pleased this will not deter you from returning in the future.

As you say, Warwick Castle is well worth a trip and we are also close to Kenilworth Castle and Stratford upon Avon, just go to our website for some great offers all year round including Christmas and New Year.

We look forward to welcoming you back sometime in the future.

Kent UK
Reviewed 10 November 2013

I ran a conference here last week, have been and run conferences here many times before so know the hotel well.

This time a few things let the venue down:

Double room was so so small, especially felt it this time as I stayed with my husband
Parking - an utter nightmare, yes there is a larger car park at the far end of the hotel but in the pouring rain you really want to find a space that is within sensible distance from the reception with all your luggage
Wifi - terrible, everyone was complaining about it and how flakey it was, by far the worst Q hotel wifi experience I have encountered with their free wifi
Fire alarm going off in the middle of the night but just for a second which was obviously an accident or something but our sleep was still disturbed
Food in the restaurant expensive and at best could be described as 'fair'
Many of my group commented on the hideous smell in the bar which could only be described as smelling like urine. It obviously wasn't but the smell was vile

Staff and service from staff all very good, check in good, conference and banqueting excellent but over all experience was well below par from when I started using the hotel in 2006.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Dear 170606

Thanks for posting a review following your recent meeting at Chesford Grange. Naturally, I am very concerned that we did not get it right for you on this occasion. As it is difficult for us to track your stay and meeting through the review perhaps you could contact us directly so we can discuss your concerns.

As you are aware, this is not typical of our normal standards and we look forward to hearing from you in due course.

Warwickshrie
Reviewed 10 November 2013

Stayed at the Chesford Grange for a corporate event. We played games, did quizzes, etc. during the afternoon to "earn" money for a "night at the races". We had a fabulous meal - if you get the chance to stay at a Q hotel, ask for their 3-beef dinner - a small fillet steak - done to perfection, a small cottage pie and a portion of cubed beef - brilliant. Our evening was really fun - probably helped by the fact that our team won and were awarded plaques and medals. Best night out I've had for a while. Lovely bedroom - room 1 - very large 2-double bedded room with sofa in the old part of the house. Thanks to the organisers. Staff were very friendly and we went straight into breakfast this morning without having to wait for a table, great especially as they looked like they were very full. Went for a swim before dinner, although the pool was slightly on the cool side. I'd certainly recommend this venue.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Dear Carol AAB

Congratulations on winning the race evening and it looks like you had a great time. We have received some brilliant feedback regarding the beef 3 ways which our head chef is very proud of and is one of his signature dishes.

We are well known for our friendly customer service and I am glad you experienced this during your stay. We hope to welcome you back very soon.

Walsall, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 November 2013

I never leave these sort of reviews & the mixed reviews on here never fazed me, it depends on how picky you are, but I couldn't help but feel as though I have to do my part to say how brilliant this hotel is. We stayed here thurs-sat just gone for my parents 30th wedding anniversary & it was the perfect break for them. I booked it through secret escapes months ago on a very good deal so I wasn't expecting to be highest on their priority list but the cleanliness of both massive rooms overlooking the landscape & the choice of food on the evening meal, the deal we got did make me feel this weekend as though I was fleecing the hotel out of money! From the moment we walked in & were greeted by Bianca who ran us through everything for the days ahead, everything went without a hitch, even with the rain. We had 2 breakfasts & 1 evening meal at the hotel, every single staff member was helpful and polite & the food was spot on. Both nights there was a blonde non-english lady working on the terrace bar (wish I knew her name, it began with a G, always had her hair tied back) who never stopped smiling & was very attentive to all our orders. Considering there seemed to be about 6 conferences on, it was peaceful & relatively quiet around, no queues anywhere if you pick the right time to eat & drink & very accessible and bedroom equipped for my disabled father.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
Dear HannahCoombe88

Thank you for such a fantastic review and I am delighted you and your parents had a good stay and the team here helped to make it extra special.

As you rightly say, the Secret Escapes deal is excellent value for money and if you go to the QHotels website there is also good deals and offers all year round bookable directly with us.

Thanks again for giving us a top score of 5 and we would love to welcome you back tomorrow!

Andrew Fox
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kenilworth
Stratford Manor Hotel
#3 of 16 in Leamington Spa
Woodside Hotel
Woodside Hotel
#2 of 7 in Kenilworth

Been to Chesford Grange - A QHotel? Share your experiences!