“WOW! What a brilliant hotel!”

Chesford Grange - A QHotel
Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Kenilworth
Reviewed 27 March 2014

I was toastmaster for The Transport Exchange Group Annual Dinner & Awards 2014 on Saturday. From the minute my (disabled) wife and I arrived at Chesford Grange, the service was exceptional: from the porter who took our substantial amount of luggage up to our spacious and well-equipped bedroom; to the excellent dinner and restaurant service; to the breakfast waitress (Rachael) who insisted upon serving us our toast - although it was usually self-service - we couldn't have asked for more. In this day and age of mediocre service, Chesford Grange was a breath of fresh air! Well done!

Room Tip: We had a disabled room with a roll-in shower. Such rooms are generally hard to come by. This one w...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
AKFox1, General Manager at Chesford Grange - A QHotel, responded to this reviewResponded 1 April 2014

Dear Mike J

What a lovely review and thank you for the top score of 5. All the Trip Advisor reviews are shared with the team and I am delighted they made you and your Wife feel at home. We hope to welcome you back very soon.

Thanks again, kind regards
Andrew Fox

Write a ReviewReviews (2,242)

Reviewed 24 March 2014 via mobile

On Sunday 23rd March myself and my friends went for a spa day at Chesford Grange. We arrived promptly at 9am and were told where the changing rooms were. The hotel itself looked nice from the outside however the spa itself was like a time machine to the 80s! It was clean but not enough room for all the visitors, when we arrived there was only another couple there but by midday there were more people than there were chairs. The swimming pool was of a moderate size however there was no jacuzzi and we were disappointed by this.
However our treatments were fantastic and 3 out of the 4 of us had a therapist called Shaynie, she was brilliant.

The spa definetley needs a refurb.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank MrsLucyRose
AKFox1, General Manager at Chesford Grange - A QHotel, responded to this reviewResponded 25 March 2014

Dear MrsLucyRose

Thank you for your review following your visit to Chesford Grange for a spa day, I am sorry you were disappointed with the standard of the facilities but enjoyed your treatments from Shaynie who will be rewarded through our staff recognition scheme.

I hope this will not deter you from visiting us again in the future.

Reviewed 24 March 2014

We stayed for a Saturday night & dinner with our 2 kids (aged 8 and 11) in a family room.
HOTEL
Welcome at reception was good and efficient. Lots of staff, all friendly. Booking/response by email were great too before we arrived. Easy to find from Warwick. However letting smokers stand right outside hotel entrance in a little gang and a cloud of fumes is a bad bad start. Makes you look cheap and nasty Chesford. Plus their smoke was blowing right back into reception as they kept the automatic doors open to keep warm. Yum.
ROOM
Family room clean and spacious enough, 3 beds, not much else. What is with the weird cabbage/plant/marble thing trapped under glass in our desk though? Beds not that comfy, bad night's sleep all round, much noise from drunk guests in corridor throughout night, room service trays/wine bottles left in corridors all day and night. Corridors felt a bit neglected, like you could die here and no one would find you till cleaning time :-/ BTW the stripy hall carpet is what a migraine looks like. Little fridge v useful thank you. Cute filter coffee sachets (they give weak coffee though). But no hot chocolate sachets in room though lovely staff guy brought some up at 10pm (when we had asked at 9pm...)
POOL/SPA
Small but clean and relaxing. Pool in spa FAR too cold to be relaxing and too small to get any exercise. Kids seemed to enjoy it for an hour or so though. Jacuzzi not working :-( Good heated beds near pool though. Steam room nice. Spa staff lovely lovely.
BAR
Went for drink at 7pm before dinner. Bar area ok. Nice view. However you really should bin the TVs with footie channel on, add in an open fire or a nice piece of art - would be MUCH nicer. Also please tell the Barman (an older Asian gentleman) he was the rudest worst barman we've ever seen. Like we were really bothering him by being customers. With the cheek to order a drink! He was so bad it was funny. Just don't ask him what flavour crisps there are, people, that's my advice to you...
RESTAURANT
Like the reception, the restaurant staff were just fantastic. Great job on recruiting/training because they were ALL good. Efficient, happy, humans. Not seen better in any hotel. Perfect side of polite and friendly and welcoming. Knew their stuff too - advice on menu was very helpful. Restaurant area nice, big but not noisy or crowded.
FOOD
Dinner itself not the best :-( Burgers overcooked, someone must have dropped the pepper pot in my risotto (more water please waiter - about a gallon will do). I know risotto always looks a bit grey and porridgy but this had some sad cubes of cold goat's cheese on top. I could have done better at home. However breakfast was sublime. Range, quality, service all fabulous. We will not need to eat for another week thank you. (And my 8-year old is hard to fill).
SUMMARY
Thank you Chesford staff. You were fabulous. I hope they look after you and keep you happy. Not you, bar guy. Thank you breakfast chefs, you too were fabulous. Please cook our dinner next time. I think overall this hotel was good value for money.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank SilverMac

Dear SilverMac

Many thanks for your comprehensive review following your recent stay at Chesford Grange with your family. I do hope you spoke to the Duty MJanager while you were at the hotel who would have gladly assisted with any issues you had. On a positive note, I am delighted our friendly team looked after you well.

Thanks again, kind regards

Reviewed 22 March 2014 via mobile

Reasonable hotel wouldn't stretch it to good. Rooms were ok though bathroom slightly cramped. Slept well, breakfast was a big let down. Corners were cut to save money like cheap brown/tomato sauce, weak tea & coffee. I found mould on my bread, food was warm not hot and scrambled egg was sloppy and unappetising, if they improved this I would give them a good. Was an unusual hotel comprising of an old hotel with new extensions around it. Pool was nice but small not much room for proper length swimming once 4+ using it, was a bit chilly too, would benefit from a hot tub but did have nice hot stone beds but only 2 and not in a quiet area to enable a doze, the steam room was nice and my husband said the gym was alright. Lockers were missing keys and pins to fix them on your swim suit and were also really chilly! Staff in pool area very helpful and pleasant, did find the bar manager a tad awkward. Wouldn't take cash or card payments for drinks so had to swipe a card at reception to bill them to the room, was a bit of a no brainer if you ask me. Nice fresh flowers around the hotel and clean and tidy.
Would return but have the extra hour in bed and skip the breakfast!

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank MrsBotters

Dear Mrs Botters

It is disappointing to see that your stay was not to your satisfaction and that you didnt' have the experience similar to other guests who really love the breakfast buffet. However, I am pleased this has not deterred you from wanting to return on a future occasion. I am very sorry the policy for paying for drinks after 11.00pm was not explained to you on check - in and this will be rectified by our Front of House Manager.

Thanks again for your post,

Reviewed 16 March 2014

This was a great business & pleasure week-end. Business was a conference with 2 very entertaining evening events. My wife came will me so that's when it became the pleasure part of the trip. The hotel room we had was one of the suite type room are was perfect in every way. Clean, comfy and we maintained. My only comment would be the rather high sided bath which you had to negotiate to have a shower. Break was very good. Conference meals were also very good. Staff were all very helpful ad friendly.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
AKFox1, General Manager at Chesford Grange - A QHotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 March 2014

Dear SteveW

Thank you for your lovely review and for giving us a top score of 5. I am delighted you and your Wife enjoyed your stay and the team looked after you well.

We hope to welcome you back for business or pleasure very soon.

Reviewed 16 March 2014

I have stayed at this hotel many times over the last few years and was allocated one of the rooms in the older section on this visit. I was here for a Christmas party and the hotel was very busy. The room I was given was huge with a very comfortable bed and a large bathroom. I had an evening meal included in my rate and paid in advance. I couldn't get anyone to answer the room service phone (rang it several times) so had to go down to the bar to order my meal otherwise it would have been 5*

Room Tip: Try the older section of the hotel as it's less far to walk :-)
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends

Dear DavidL

Many thanks for your review, I am disappointed that we did not achieve a score of 5 due to the room service issue, this will be addressed immediately. However, I am pleased the other aspects of your stay were enjoyable and you liked the accommodation in the Manor House section of the hotel.

We hope to welcome you back very soon, kind regards

Reviewed 7 March 2014

There were many good things about this hotel; the staff were all very pleasant, the free wifi was efficient, the food was good - both dinner and breakfast, and I liked the swimming pool. It is also on a good bus route so that even if you don't have a car you can get into Leamington, Warwick and Coventry very easily.
Unfortunately, the five days we were there, there were problems with the boiler so that our radiator did not work . I did eventually get a substitute heater which was fine but felt I had to go to quite a bit of effort to get one. I'm not sure when the boiler had broken down but I felt they should have been more proactive in dealing with it.
The actual room was OK but I would have liked a drawer beside the bed. There were no drawers at all in the room which made storage a bit of a problem.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Hardygirl
AKFox1, General Manager at Chesford Grange - A QHotel, responded to this reviewResponded 11 March 2014

Dear Hardygirl

Thanks for your review and I am very sorry you experienced a problem with the heating in your room hence the score of 3. The issue was temporary and has now been resolved but we have taken on board your comment regarding the handling of the situation.

Thanks again for your post and I hope we will have the opportunity of welcoming you back very soon.

Andrew Fox

Also consider these accommodations in or near Kenilworth
5 mi away
#6 of 7 in Kenilworth
Billesley Manor Hotel
Billesley Manor Hotel
#14 of 28 in Stratford-upon-Avon

Been to Chesford Grange - A QHotel? Share your experiences!