“Strictly Never Again!”

Chesford Grange - A QHotel
Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Kenilworth
Reviewed 1 July 2014

We stayed here recently as the venue for Dancing with the Stars weekend. We have been on 2 of these weekends before, held at Alton Towers, and looked forward to a 4 star experience...............Alton Towers has it beat hands down! The dining format was horrific-HUGE queues, queuing for less than mediocre food.......Inexperienced staff without a clue.......I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw a waitress spray and wipe in front of the starter counter which still had the food in it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Needless to say I did not eat anything.Dishes were not replenished and diners were left standing for ages waiting. We asked at breakfast if we could have an a la carte (served) breakfast and were met with a emphatic NO! The layout was ridiculous resulting in food stone cold before final selections were made. We were left waiting for veg whilst our mains congealed on our plates. At breakfast, late arriving sausages were proffered to diners who picked them out of the tray with their fingers!!!!!!!!!!!!!Health and safety???????? Norovirus waiting to happen!Used plates and cutlery piled up on tables as the meal progressed. Waiting staff looked like school children drafted in for the duration.We WERE there for Dancing with Stars which we love-will we return to that venue? Absolutely NOT! Not even our beloved Natalie and Ian could drag us back.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
AKFox1, General Manager at Chesford Grange - A QHotel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 July 2014

Dear lindahazlie

Thank you for posting a rewiew regarding your stay for the Dancing with the Stars weekend at Chesford Grange. I am sorry that you found our standards of service and food fell short of your expectations. I can assure you that this is certainly not a true reflection of our normal standards and we did receive overall excellent feedback from this event. I will investigate your comments thoroughly with the team here.

I hope that you will accept my sincere apologies for any inconvenience caused.

There are newer reviews for Chesford Grange - A QHotel

Reviewed 30 June 2014

It was our 1st anniversary weekend and as it was a highly recommended hotel from last-minute.com as a secret escapes hotel we thought why not give it a try. As we wanted to get away and go and explore the sights of Stratford upon Avon and Kenilworth Castle.

We first arrived Friday night not being able to get parking anywhere, there was not even an area for unloading, as all the spaces had been reserved for what looked like the Porsche and range rovers owners club. We were told to use the event car park which was like taking a nice leisurely walk as a pack horse. No help regards baggage from the hotel.

Wanting to get food so we enquired what time the restaurant was open until and was told 9.30. We checked in got to the room which looked ok on the face of it and then headed to the restaurant.

Once at the restaurant at 8.45 we were told they are closed and cannot fit any more guests in that have only paid for B&B, as other guests that have paid for evening meals had not had not turned up.

We were in fact told to eat in the bar lounge as the same menu was available. Off to the bar lounge we go and to our surprise we get the same story. No more room at the INN, but if we go in to the bar terrace we can have what’s left to order on the bar menu only. Which amounts to about 3 things including nuts and snacks at Rip off prices.

Finally we talk to one of the bar staff and explained we have come here to stay over our anniversary weekend and he managed to “fit us in” sensing a complain coming along... We managed to get food which is not worth the experience, and then when we were asked about drinks the order was taken, but the drink never turned up.

At the end of the 1.5 hour ordeal we requested the bill and the waiter that took the drinks order had the cheek to say he’s has took the drink off the bill for our troubles. I indicated to him I never had the drink and would not be paying for it any way.

Next Morning the breakfast was ok mostly deep fried rubbish and cereal, Not exactly hard to cook, until the waiter clearing up decides to spill the used cutlery all down my jeans and top. He could not be more apologetic which left me feeling sorry for him as he was barely out of nappies.
We Escape the hotel for the day heading out and about but then when the rain came down we decide to head back and try the SPA...

A far as Spa’s go this is the worst, the pool is the size of a puddle and is more like a kids club there is no room to swim or move, the steam room small but ok until you have the weeks gym stud enter and starts mixing his protein shake on the bench in front of you (hygienic), the staff can barely smile and your given a flea bitten towel that’s fraying at the edges as the hotel are getting there value out of them, which follows the quality of the plastic chairs around the pool.

If you want a decent spa experience try the Fairlawn’s at Aldridge. Now that’s value for money and has a great spa.

After the previous night and our ”Spa Experience” (Excuse the pun) we decided to eat out. We asked to hotel to arrange a “TAXI” what turned up was an unmarked airport driver that did not resemble a licenced taxi firm but a one man band bloke in a car. No Badge, No Taxi number nothing, my only hope is that he had business insurance and was actually insured. Anyway we went out and enjoyed the food had a great night returning to the hotel about 11.

We had a drink in the bar (which looks like it could do with a wipe down everything was sticky and dirty god forbid those who have a coffee, the machine was disgusting) then retire for the night. Only to be woken at 2.30 in the morning by screaming drunken idiots from hotel Party loudly banging and shouting in the corridor any louder and I’m sure they could have woke satin himself.

On the Whole I would avoid this Hole, I could write a lot more, the toilet did not flush and took 3/4 tries, the rooms had spills down the walls, TV reception had snow on the picture but this is already long enough... “Quality” Hotel I think not... And definitely not 4 stars.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
5  Thank MR_TF2014
AKFox1, General Manager at Chesford Grange - A QHotel, responded to this reviewResponded 1 July 2014

Dear MR_TF2014

Thank you for taking the time to write your review. I am really sorry we did not get it right for you on this occasion. However, I wish you had spoken to us during your stay or on departure so we could have resolved these issues directly with you at the time.

I understand you have also written to the hotel directly and we will send an appropriate response once the points have been investigated with the team.

Thanks again, kind regards

Reviewed 29 June 2014

A few smallish issues result in the comment above. You can normally get into a hotel room at 2 (hopefully a bit earlier) 3 o'clock with an expectation of you leaving the room earlyish the next day meant that we didn't really have time to use the pool as we were having a get together for a birthday early evening. I had to make the trek back to reception as the card key wouldn't work. The girl on reception asked if they had been put near a mobile phone as that would scramble them. That was, in fact, the case but it left me wondering why people aren't told as a matter of procedure to avoid doing that when being given the key card in the first place. It would appear to be a failing of other hotels as well to be fair! St Mellion Resort in Cornwall was driving me to distraction as every time I went to our room the card failed to work! The rooms were. again, OK but nowhere near as nice as at Ettington Park, where we had had a previous birthday Murder Mystery.

The food at a Murder Mystery was like the title 'OK but uninspiring' it was fairly cold and lacked something in the presentation. The wine that came included a bottle of white in the ice container that a blind person could see was partly used. Everyone in the room noticed that a large glass had already been served from the bottle! The final comment was that my sister only discovered this morning, when checking her bill, that her birthday cake had been totally forgotten after the dinner. Pretty poor service really :o(

Breakfast was OK with some of the options (baked beans) being almost empty apart from juice for too long. Coffee for 1 and tea for 2 was asked for so we got coffee for 3? I certainly wouldn't rush back despite the bar staff being very friendly and helpful.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Tom B

Dear Tom B

It is disappointing to see that your stay for a family event was not to your satisfaction. As you can appreciate, we do not like guests to go away with a poor impression and I hope you brought the issues to the attention of the Duty Manager while you were at the hotel who would have gladly assisted with any issues you had.

Reviewed 29 June 2014

Went here for a special weekend with my sister and friend and completely disappointed. How somewhere with a swimming pool open to all and sundry, including noisy kids, a tiny steam room and five plastic chairs to sit on and that's it can call itself a spa I'm sure breaks trading standards. As for the treatments... the limpest massage I've ever had plus chart music being pumped into the waiting room - the opposite of relaxing. Oh, and the massage table was damp from the person who had been on it beforehand! The saving grace was that the staff couldn't have been nicer.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank Nicci782014

Dear Nicci782014

Thank you for your review following your visit to Chesford Grange and although the team looked after you very well I am sorry you were disappointed with the facilities and the treatment.

As the beauty rooms are within the leisure club which is also used by guests of the hotel and members, we often get children using the facilities but we do operate an adults only swim time on Saturday's.

I hope your experience does not deter you from trying a spa within another QHotel.

Reviewed 29 June 2014

Have stayed in Q Hotels quite a lot, stayed here for the first time in June 2014. Nice leisure facilities, friendly staff, good room once we'd sorted out the temperature controls, grounds are lovely, and it's really close to both Kenilworth and Warwick.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Daniel W

Dear Daniel W

Thanks for posting such a great review of your stay at Chesford Grange and I am pleased you experienced the very high standards of service that QHotels are known for.

As you rightly say, we are in a great location for not only visiting Kenilworth and Warwick but we are a short distance from Stratford on Avon home of William Shakespeare and the lovely town of Leamington Spa.

Just go to the QHotels for some great deals and offers at all 21 hotels all year round.

Reviewed 26 June 2014

Really nice country feel, welcoming staff, great facilities. even though a very big hotel, had a certain boutique feel to it. Great breakfast, I have suggested they need to improve their coffee however... not the best tasting. I will return and it has made me consider using other Q hotels.

Room Tip: Room 31 was massive, two dbl beds and a 3 piece suite... home for home!
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business

Dear Mark191175

Thank you for your lovely feedback following your stay at Chesford Grange, and for giving us a top score of 5. (Your comments have been noted regarding the coffee).

Thanks again for your post and come back very soon.

Reviewed 25 June 2014

Have just returned from a conference at Chesford Grange and the service has been brilliant, the waiters and waitresses , bar staff and reception were very polite and helpful and after leaving my phone charger in my room they have arranged to post it back to me!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank 81Becky

Dear 81Becky

Many thanks for your review and its great to read that you could not fault your stay, I will share your feedback with all the teamwhich gives us all a morale boost.

I hope your phone charger has arrived safe and sound!

Andrew Fox

Also consider these accommodations in or near Kenilworth
Stratford Manor Hotel
Woodland Grange
Woodland Grange
#3 of 16 in Leamington Spa
Holiday Inn Kenilworth - Warwick

Been to Chesford Grange - A QHotel? Share your experiences!