“Perfectly adequate”

Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Kenilworth
Solihull, United Kingdom
“Perfectly adequate”
Reviewed 4 July 2014 via mobile

Stayed here with work so it was an expenses paid for event. We come to this hotel quite a lot with work so I knew what to expect.

It met my expectations once again. The room was fine, modern and stylish although my biggest gripe (and this is why it gets 4 stars and not 5) is because the 'air conditioning' as it's referred to is not air conditioning. It was a warm day and my room just simply did not cool down. It was more like an air blower and is clearly designed to warm a room in winter rather then cool a room in summer. The bedding was inappropriate too and again was bedding suited to winter months rather than summer months. I had to open the windows as the room ventilation was inadequate but alas they only opened about 2 inches. So consequently I didn't sleep as well as I could have.

However, everything else about they stay was fine - checkin was efficient and friendly, breakfast was good with a good range of cereals and full English selection and our evening meal was good too.

Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
AKFox1, General Manager at Chesford Grange - A QHotel, responded to this review, 7 July 2014
Dear andy_k_77_2014

Thank you for taking the time to review Chesford Grange following your return visit and all aspects of your stay met with your expectations apart from the aid conditioning in your accommodation.

Perhaps you could contact the hotel directly when you have a minute with the room number and our Maintenance Manager can attend to the air conditioning unit. We hope to welcome you back again soon whether on business or pleasure!

Andrew Fox

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (462)
Stockton-on-Tees, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 July 2014

Family Reunion weekend so we occupied about 6 rooms in the party.
Fairly standard but adequate room, comfortable bed, small but adequate bathroom.
Our standard DB&B rate of £147 included £26 towards dinner, starters were priced from £5, mains from £17 and desserts from £5.50.
Though the staff were helpful the food was overall quite disappointing, we returned a 'bubble & squeak' starter which was essentially mush on a plate, the mushroom soup was a powdery packet made variety and the 'beetroot goat and walnut salad' was razor slivers of beetroot with a sprinkling of goat cheese crumb and for some reason broken pieces of sugared walnuts which would have been better on a cake! the various steaks Sirloin and Rib eye were ok though very small and one was sent back as instead of being medium well it was very bloody, the staff tried to get everything right and offered us a bottle of wine to compensate for the wait for the steak to be cooked properly but overall the food should have been much better.
The breakfast next morning was a much better effort.
Reception staff very good and welcoming and on departure did ask if we had enjoyed out stay, we did pass on the evening meal comments but whether that ever makes any difference I am not sure.
The hotel itself has a lovely terrace and nice bar area and is a lovely building but generally could and should do better. Would not return and wouldn't really recommend, there are just better choices available.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Pollyschoices
Dear Pollyschoices

Thank you for your feedback and I am very sorry the food let us down on this occasion hence the score of 3. Please be assured that corrective action is being taken, to avoid other guests having a similar situation.

I do hope this will not deter you from trying another of the 21 QHotels in the group. Thanks again for your post.

Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 July 2014

I returned from hotel yesterday and i had a lovely time, but then i do like this chain of hotels. there are minor issues no one offers to help with your bags but then it is the type of hotel people only stay for one or two nights so thats hardly a problem. the pool i agree far to small i must admit i was shocked i was looking forward to a swim but really wasnt possible and the pool closed last day.full ash trays left for hours was the worst for me out side.i would still return as i enjoyed my stay. i thought staff very good.breakfast and dinner really good

Room Tip: I would go for a larger room mine was near spa what i wanted. it was a lot smaller than other q hote...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank georgette175
Dear georgette 175

Thank you for your overall positive review and I am pleased you enjoyed your stay apart from the issues you highlighted which have been dealt with.

Thanks also for a top score of 5 and we look forward to welcoming you back very soon.

Airdrie, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 July 2014

We stayed here recently as the venue for Dancing with the Stars weekend. We have been on 2 of these weekends before, held at Alton Towers, and looked forward to a 4 star experience...............Alton Towers has it beat hands down! The dining format was horrific-HUGE queues, queuing for less than mediocre food.......Inexperienced staff without a clue.......I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw a waitress spray and wipe in front of the starter counter which still had the food in it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Needless to say I did not eat anything.Dishes were not replenished and diners were left standing for ages waiting. We asked at breakfast if we could have an a la carte (served) breakfast and were met with a emphatic NO! The layout was ridiculous resulting in food stone cold before final selections were made. We were left waiting for veg whilst our mains congealed on our plates. At breakfast, late arriving sausages were proffered to diners who picked them out of the tray with their fingers!!!!!!!!!!!!!Health and safety???????? Norovirus waiting to happen!Used plates and cutlery piled up on tables as the meal progressed. Waiting staff looked like school children drafted in for the duration.We WERE there for Dancing with Stars which we love-will we return to that venue? Absolutely NOT! Not even our beloved Natalie and Ian could drag us back.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear lindahazlie

Thank you for posting a rewiew regarding your stay for the Dancing with the Stars weekend at Chesford Grange. I am sorry that you found our standards of service and food fell short of your expectations. I can assure you that this is certainly not a true reflection of our normal standards and we did receive overall excellent feedback from this event. I will investigate your comments thoroughly with the team here.

I hope that you will accept my sincere apologies for any inconvenience caused.

Wolverhampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 June 2014

It was our 1st anniversary weekend and as it was a highly recommended hotel from last-minute.com as a secret escapes hotel we thought why not give it a try. As we wanted to get away and go and explore the sights of Stratford upon Avon and Kenilworth Castle.

We first arrived Friday night not being able to get parking anywhere, there was not even an area for unloading, as all the spaces had been reserved for what looked like the Porsche and range rovers owners club. We were told to use the event car park which was like taking a nice leisurely walk as a pack horse. No help regards baggage from the hotel.

Wanting to get food so we enquired what time the restaurant was open until and was told 9.30. We checked in got to the room which looked ok on the face of it and then headed to the restaurant.

Once at the restaurant at 8.45 we were told they are closed and cannot fit any more guests in that have only paid for B&B, as other guests that have paid for evening meals had not had not turned up.

We were in fact told to eat in the bar lounge as the same menu was available. Off to the bar lounge we go and to our surprise we get the same story. No more room at the INN, but if we go in to the bar terrace we can have what’s left to order on the bar menu only. Which amounts to about 3 things including nuts and snacks at Rip off prices.

Finally we talk to one of the bar staff and explained we have come here to stay over our anniversary weekend and he managed to “fit us in” sensing a complain coming along... We managed to get food which is not worth the experience, and then when we were asked about drinks the order was taken, but the drink never turned up.

At the end of the 1.5 hour ordeal we requested the bill and the waiter that took the drinks order had the cheek to say he’s has took the drink off the bill for our troubles. I indicated to him I never had the drink and would not be paying for it any way.

Next Morning the breakfast was ok mostly deep fried rubbish and cereal, Not exactly hard to cook, until the waiter clearing up decides to spill the used cutlery all down my jeans and top. He could not be more apologetic which left me feeling sorry for him as he was barely out of nappies.
We Escape the hotel for the day heading out and about but then when the rain came down we decide to head back and try the SPA...

A far as Spa’s go this is the worst, the pool is the size of a puddle and is more like a kids club there is no room to swim or move, the steam room small but ok until you have the weeks gym stud enter and starts mixing his protein shake on the bench in front of you (hygienic), the staff can barely smile and your given a flea bitten towel that’s fraying at the edges as the hotel are getting there value out of them, which follows the quality of the plastic chairs around the pool.

If you want a decent spa experience try the Fairlawn’s at Aldridge. Now that’s value for money and has a great spa.

After the previous night and our ”Spa Experience” (Excuse the pun) we decided to eat out. We asked to hotel to arrange a “TAXI” what turned up was an unmarked airport driver that did not resemble a licenced taxi firm but a one man band bloke in a car. No Badge, No Taxi number nothing, my only hope is that he had business insurance and was actually insured. Anyway we went out and enjoyed the food had a great night returning to the hotel about 11.

We had a drink in the bar (which looks like it could do with a wipe down everything was sticky and dirty god forbid those who have a coffee, the machine was disgusting) then retire for the night. Only to be woken at 2.30 in the morning by screaming drunken idiots from hotel Party loudly banging and shouting in the corridor any louder and I’m sure they could have woke satin himself.

On the Whole I would avoid this Hole, I could write a lot more, the toilet did not flush and took 3/4 tries, the rooms had spills down the walls, TV reception had snow on the picture but this is already long enough... “Quality” Hotel I think not... And definitely not 4 stars.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank MR_TF2014
AKFox1, General Manager at Chesford Grange - A QHotel, responded to this review, 1 July 2014
Dear MR_TF2014

Thank you for taking the time to write your review. I am really sorry we did not get it right for you on this occasion. However, I wish you had spoken to us during your stay or on departure so we could have resolved these issues directly with you at the time.

I understand you have also written to the hotel directly and we will send an appropriate response once the points have been investigated with the team.

Thanks again, kind regards
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 June 2014

A few smallish issues result in the comment above. You can normally get into a hotel room at 2 (hopefully a bit earlier) 3 o'clock with an expectation of you leaving the room earlyish the next day meant that we didn't really have time to use the pool as we were having a get together for a birthday early evening. I had to make the trek back to reception as the card key wouldn't work. The girl on reception asked if they had been put near a mobile phone as that would scramble them. That was, in fact, the case but it left me wondering why people aren't told as a matter of procedure to avoid doing that when being given the key card in the first place. It would appear to be a failing of other hotels as well to be fair! St Mellion Resort in Cornwall was driving me to distraction as every time I went to our room the card failed to work! The rooms were. again, OK but nowhere near as nice as at Ettington Park, where we had had a previous birthday Murder Mystery.

The food at a Murder Mystery was like the title 'OK but uninspiring' it was fairly cold and lacked something in the presentation. The wine that came included a bottle of white in the ice container that a blind person could see was partly used. Everyone in the room noticed that a large glass had already been served from the bottle! The final comment was that my sister only discovered this morning, when checking her bill, that her birthday cake had been totally forgotten after the dinner. Pretty poor service really :o(

Breakfast was OK with some of the options (baked beans) being almost empty apart from juice for too long. Coffee for 1 and tea for 2 was asked for so we got coffee for 3? I certainly wouldn't rush back despite the bar staff being very friendly and helpful.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Tom B
Dear Tom B

It is disappointing to see that your stay for a family event was not to your satisfaction. As you can appreciate, we do not like guests to go away with a poor impression and I hope you brought the issues to the attention of the Duty Manager while you were at the hotel who would have gladly assisted with any issues you had.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 June 2014

Went here for a special weekend with my sister and friend and completely disappointed. How somewhere with a swimming pool open to all and sundry, including noisy kids, a tiny steam room and five plastic chairs to sit on and that's it can call itself a spa I'm sure breaks trading standards. As for the treatments... the limpest massage I've ever had plus chart music being pumped into the waiting room - the opposite of relaxing. Oh, and the massage table was damp from the person who had been on it beforehand! The saving grace was that the staff couldn't have been nicer.

Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank Nicci782014
Dear Nicci782014

Thank you for your review following your visit to Chesford Grange and although the team looked after you very well I am sorry you were disappointed with the facilities and the treatment.

As the beauty rooms are within the leisure club which is also used by guests of the hotel and members, we often get children using the facilities but we do operate an adults only swim time on Saturday's.

I hope your experience does not deter you from trying a spa within another QHotel.

Andrew Fox
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kenilworth
Stratford Manor Hotel
#2 of 7 in Kenilworth
Mallory Court Hotel
Mallory Court Hotel
#1 of 16 in Leamington Spa

Been to Chesford Grange - A QHotel? Share your experiences!