“An amazing place to stay!”

The Kenilworth Hotel
Ranked #3 of 8 Kenilworth B&B and Inns
Reviewed 14 November 2011

My husband and I stayed in room 3 of the Kenilworth on Saturday 5th November for his birthday, and we had the best time.

We travel loads in both the UK and abroad, but this is probably the best hotel we have stayed in in the UK.

Upon arrival we were greeted by very friendly staff who showed us to our room and booked us a table in the cocktail bar for that evening. The room was sensational, a high ceiling up into the room, modern furniture, a massive TV and stairs within our room into our luxurious bathroom.

The cocktail bar below was just amazing. The staff were all very young, but were so helpful, kind and attentive the whole evening, even making a special cocktail for my husband's birthday. I am not a big drinker and only had 3 alcoholic cocktails, but even the non-alcoholic ones are to die for. The staff offer advice about which ones are best depending on your likes, and there are just so many to choose from.

The hotel is a listed building so unable to extend which means there is no hot food available. We decided to order one of the cold platters to share, then order another is necessary. When it came it was enormous, and despite both having healthy appetites, we were unable to finish it.

It was continental breakfast the next morning, again because of lack of kitchen space, but there was plenty to choose from including cereal and toast and fruit juices.

All in all, it was a brilliant experience and I can't think of anything negative to say about the hotel.

We are already talking about planning a return visit as we loved it so much, and we don't usually visit the same place twice, liking to see as many different places as possible.

Well done to the Kenilworth, it is a unique and wonderful hotel.

Room Tip: We didn't see the other rooms, but Room 3 was just wonderful.
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for The Kenilworth Hotel

Reviewed 11 November 2011

I stayed here with my wife on the first night of our wedding. The hotel room was excellent. The bed was amazing. The shower and bathroom were beautiful. Nice big TV screen and skylight. The parking is limited and if you have a big car it will be a squeeze to fit into the bays.

2  Thank Ikki B
Reviewed 24 October 2011

My boyfriend and I stayed here for one night (Saturday 22nd October 2011) whilst on a business trip to Warwick Uni. It was fantastic and we're already planning our next stay - unheard of in our household!

The room was spotlessly clean with a great shower and memory foam mattress (we're now buy ing one as a result!). The breakfast was great and just what we needed, nothing more nothing less, and really well thought out. The cherry on the cake was the cocktails.... oh my the cocktails!!! Unbelievably good with amazing service thrown in. Our cocktail master had invented his own cocktails, or twists on old classics, including a smoking Kentucky bourbon which was presented in a smoking bell glass, infusing the smoke with the flavours - delicious. He also made us feel really welcome, despite our 'dress down' ness (due to the work) and we felt very easy and at home. We're planning on returning and indulging in their cocktail package.

Overall we'd highly recommend this hotel, and in fact we already have, and we're planning on booking a few rooms for my boyfriends birthday - we're not locals, we live in London, but it's well worth the trip.

Oh.... amazing decor as well showing incredible thought for detail!

Reviewed 24 October 2011

Just returned from a weekend break at the Kenilworth and I'm seriously impressed. Well laid out rooms with deliciously comfy beds, rainmaker showers and staff who genuinely care about you having a good stay. If only service in all other hotels were this good!

It's not cheap to stay here but you do get value for money as the Kenilworth is, above all, focused on quality. It's a difficult thing to balance a successful cocktail bar with a hotel - after all, sleeping above a bar isn't exactly conducive to a good rest but The Kenilworth manages it perfectly. They even move the late night drinkers into an area with no rooms above it at 11pm and breakfast is served until 11am the next day for sleepyheads like me. The cocktails are superb but you really could blow the budget here - they're not cheap, ranging from just under £7 to blow the wallet prices - but they are truly scrumptious and they even have weekly specials.

Breakfast is a civilised buffet affair with top notch strong coffee, buttery croissants and toast/cereal etc. I'm not a huge fan of English breakfasts but if you wanted a fry up, I'm sure you could find one in Kenilworth high street!

We went to the Kenilworth as we were off to a concert at the nearby Warwick Arts Centre but I'd really like to go back for a return visit just to mooch around the local area (Kenilworth castle is a must) and explore a bit. Nice thing is, you know the staff at the Kenilworth will be on hand to look after you! Lovely place, lovely cocktails and lovely and attentive staff. A real find.

Room Tip: Room 2 overlooks the garden at the back and has a huge shower room but I also stayed in Room 1 which...
Reviewed 29 September 2011

This is one of my favourite hotels of all time. Wonderful room, top quality furnishings, great cocktail bar, friendly accomodating staff, great location, simply the perfect stay, and its not often I say anything like that...we hope to return...

Room Tip: Simply speak to the staff - they will advise the best room.
Reviewed 26 September 2011

I have booked the entire hotel out next year for a wedding - all 11 rooms at a cost of several thousands of pounds. So, we figured we would stay here in advance just to try it out and see how we got on.

We have just had a stay here in September for one night. There were 16 of us all together, although only 3 couples (including myself & the missus) stayed at the Kenilworth, others stayed elsewhere. We opted for the £199 deal which included all-you-can-drink free cocktails, bed and breakfast. So thats about £100 each which personally I felt was expensive when you looked at it on paper. Id normally expect about 60quid each max for a 4 star type hotel with a spa (this one doesnt have one). But, it was a special occasion so we decided to go for it and treat ourselves.

The hotel has 2 parts. The street facing part of the hotel is a converted bunch of old houses. They have wood floors, very very low ceilings (watch that head) and wooden beams. At the front you have an very impressive cocktail bar, and various very flash looking seating areas. There is also a private bar upstairs which we had all to ourselves. There are several bedrooms above this frontal area. Out back what appears to be a big old wash or coal shed has been converted into other rooms, and a short walk past these takes you out to the back end of housing estate where they have bought a detached 3 bedroom 1970`s/1980`s house and redone that into 5 more hotel rooms.

Each room is decorated in the same very modern tasteful style as you can see on their website. Many of the rooms are different shapes etc, so have their own quirks, but they all seem to have the same wood paneling, trendy brown or black furniture, black tiles, walk in wetroom showers and that sort of thing. Some rooms have massive LCD/Plasma type wall mounted TV`s, other have what looks like a 25" Bang and Olufsen CRT telly. Picture quality on the B&O wasnt good, and it only had 5 channels - but the telly can rotate on its stand which was cool! The standard of finish is very high and if you nit-picked you could find the odd little let down - like a window not closing properly, or the level of finish on certain bits not 100%. But, all in all extremely classy and well designed / finished bedrooms. Definitely one of the most impressive looking hotels ive ever stayed in, and hats off to the work these guys have done to it.

Between the old building and the 1980`s house you have a nice outside seating area, with an undercover bar area.

We were very impressed with how friendly everyone was, every single person who worked there was very very polite, friendly, happy and more than willing to bend over backwards for us. The atmosphere felt relaxing, although the lighting in the bar areas was extremely dark. So dark in fact that at times I had to use my cellphone to illuminate the menu to decide what to order!

We were on the all inclusive deal, so we were detirmined to get our moneys worth to make the stay worth while. Initially we were in the upstairs bar with our own barman. He was friendly and very knowledgeable about the cocktails. Have to say, the ones he made were incredible. But with any cocktail they dont last long, so we tried to order 2 at a time each to save on the 10minute wait before drinks. This then caused a problem as apparently the hotel has a rule that you can only order 1 drink per person at a time.

The upstairs was like a sauna (even with the windows open) which made us thirstier, so they suggested we all moved out to the outside bar area. The only problem then was that they didnt put a barman outside to serve us - maybe because the outside area doesnt do cocktails - i dont know as there was a cabinet full of booze there. So, we all sat outside and waited for a very long time for a waitress to come out. Poor waitress was then given loads of orders - she had no pen, so we had to lend her one. Off she went and about 20minutes later drinks started coming out 1 at a time. Of course, there was 16 of us, so that took a very long time, and by the time the 3rd person had been given their drink, the 1st person was ready for another drink. Really id have expected them to bring a tray out at a time and keep the drinks flowing.

I think after 3 hours or so of this, the staff realised and started sent more waitresses out to take peoples orders. (i counted at least 4 different waitresses) This then caused even more confusion as we would put an order in, they would go off and check to see if we already had an outstanding order - if we did they would come back and tell us we could only have 1 drink per person. Fine, I vaguely remember ordering a drink 30 minutes ago, but figured you had forgotten about it as I am still waiting. The only benefit with such long delivery times is that by the time the cocktail arrived you had forgotten what you had ordered, so it was a genuine surprise!

We were told the outside area shut at 10:30 and they asked to move inside, after which another group of people sat down where we had been sitting and the staff promptly took their drink orders rather than tell them outside had closed. The staff did kindly make sure they arranged for an inside area to be waiting for us, which was back upstairs in the private bar area. That was really appreciated and made us feel VIP!

Inside things were better as we were back with our original barman and the service was quicker.

I think the issues we experienced with the service was purely because it was a Saturday night and they were probably giving walk in customers more higher priority than all-inclusive as they would make more cash from them. It was a shame as everyone working at the hotel as very friendly, but the very slow service has made me rate that down.

Personally with the size of our group and the amount of money we were spending id have opened up the outside bar to look after us. But then again, I also think this hotel is probably much more suited for romantic couples on their own rather than 7 couples together celebrating a special night.

The hotel does a limited amount of nibbles, but £9.50 for a couple of rounds of marmite on toast or £14.50 for a cheese / meat snack board did seem amazingly expensive, so in the end some of the group got an Indian takeaway from down the road for £6. - Which I have to say did an amazing chicken korma.

Also, it looks like the hotel only has 1 toilet each for men & 1 for female for the whole of the bar area. So, when you have a packed hotel there were long queues for the toilet. The gents toilet was just 1 cubical.

Breakfast the next day was a described as continental, but it was very limited. Muesli or cornflakes, toast or coisants. With little packs of cheese, marmite or jam to go on them. I think most of our group walked into the town and got a nice fry up from one of the various pubs offering it. The orange juice served with breakfast was fantastic however!

Only other thing is whilst there are 11 rooms, there are only parking spaces for 9 cars - which includes parking 3 deep behind other cars, blocking most of them in. We found that even tho some of the staff or owners lived a 5 minute walk away, they still parked their cars at the hotel leaving guests with even less space. A notice behind the reception says you have to hand over your car keys so staff can move your car around etc... Which if you are as protective of your car as me may cause a problem. There is a Sainsberry pay as you go car park over the road where you can park as an alternative, but again, not everyone may fancy leaving their ferrari or porsche behind a pub in a dark car park.

All in all, whilst this review may sound a bit negative, I have tried to be accurate and cover all the points (good and bad) so people can make up their own mind. Personally I think this is a cracking little hotel, ideal for romantic weekend night away - maybe for valentines or anniversaries. Make no mistake, its expensive and the owners must be millionaires by now with the amount of money they must be making. The all-inclusive cocktail deal is good as I have drank in every pub in the town before and they are pretty much nearly all typical old pubs - so the cocktail offerings from this place makes it extra special. I definitely wouldn't want to stay here and drink in the pub over the road all night as you need to enjoy the atmosphere of this place if you are staying there. If you haven't got the all inclusive cocktails, then the prices are expensive.. £7->£10 a drink for a cocktail which is 80% ice, ranging upto a staggering £32 for their most expensive one - but then that uses really rare spirits.

Part of the fun in staying here is working out which room to stay in. They do vary in price. The ones in the old house are more quirky, but as they are near the bar area can be noisy. The ones in the 1980`s house are further away and quieter. Room 11 is pitched as their most expensive one, and is in the loft of the 80`s house - so a bit of a trek, but a very impressive room. Its smaller than say room 7,9 or 8, but more expensive and has a bath.

You can also stay here new years eve... 225quid -> 275quid all inclusive.

Will I stay again? Well I already will be - As I mentioned at the start of the review, we have booked the whole place for a wedding next year, and a group of us are also considering maybe a valentines night stay here. Hopefully with a smaller group of us our experience might be better. The cocktails these guys make are absolutely incredible and highly recommended.

Room Tip: Check in is at 12. Checkout the rooms on their website in advance, then ask if you can view a few to...
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
KenilworthHotel, Owner at The Kenilworth Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 October 2011

Thank you for your response. Firstly, we are really glad you have re-booked with us and hired the hotel for your private party, we look forward to it and glad you loved your stay with us.
Couple of points i would like to address regarding your review:
The service on the cocktail deal:
We did supply you with your own bartender in your own private room but you chose to sit outside which was closed and had no bartender. We re-arranged all of our staff to accommodate your change which on a busy Saturday night was not easy, we hope you got the right level of service once this happened. Having no bartender in a closed area would result in slower service though as explained, but we are glad you still felt as though you had the VIP treatment.
With regards to the 'one cocktail at a time rule' You were in a party of 16 and not all of them were on the cocktail deal. Ordering 40 drinks at once is impossible to keep track of I’m afraid but apologies if this caused any confusion.
We do feel that our famous and huge deli boards (serves up to 4 people) at £14.50 really offers great value for money but we can’t compete or would not want to compete with a £6 chicken korma.
We are sorry you only found 5 tv stations on the B&O TV. You have to switch the Digi button on the remote to access the other 100 stations as it says in your room manual, sorry if you missed this and I will point it out to you next month:)
With regards to the cocktails having too much ice……. i would just like to say that each cocktail has a specific amount of ingredients and the amount of ice is specific to that and does not alter the amount of drink you receive.
The house at the back that is part of the hotel was built in 2001 and not in the 80's :)
I can confirm we do have 11 car parking spaces for the 11 rooms that we have.
£7-£10 for a Kenilworth cocktail represents amazing value for money in our opinion and is in line with most other good quality cocktail lounges, I’m sure you can understand that if they were cheaper we would not be able to offer the service and quality of bartenders that we do. I’m sure you will be ’gobsmacked’ to know that in big cities cocktails start at £14 a cocktail and in other places around the world start at £45 a cocktail going upto £2500-£5000 a cocktail depending on the spirit. (we also always serve a double measure in our drinks)
We were also really glad you enjoyed the free continental breakfast and we were astonished and amazed that you and your party managed to eat the whole buffet, a first!! Really pleased you all liked it :)
It was also nice of you to say what an amazing stay you had had when you left and after making the most of the cocktail deal you rooms were as good as free!
Thanks very much your feedback, and really glad you re-booked with us again, we look forward to seeing again very soon.

Reviewed 4 September 2011

We stayed here on 3rd September 2011 and had Room 11 together with the unlimited cocktails package. Room 11 is a fantastically spacious loft-suite. The decor is tasteful and modern. The bathroom is excellent with as much space as you would find in some normal hotel rooms. The toiletries and furnishing are good quality.

The cocktail package entitled us to unlimited cocktails all night in the bar. The cocktail menu is huge and caters for all tastes. There is terrific choice and the table service is an excellent idea with all the waitresses helpful and attentive enabling you to concentrate on the drinks rather than jostling to get served. There is a great range of nibbles and bar snacks. The staff were all excellent and helpful throughout our stay and clearly take a pride in the uniqueness of the hotel and bar.

Thoroughly recommended as base to explore the wider midlands or a relaxing break in its own right.

Room Tip: Room 11! Some are above the bar so be aware of the potential for noise.