First I need to say that my husband and I really enjoyed our time here, but I'm not sure 'hotel' really gives the right impression.
The 'baby' of the Kenilworth and its raison d'etre is the cocktail lounge. This is really great. There is a bar stocked with every drink you could think of and a cocktail menu the length of the Mississippi. It is based on the old-fashioned idea of a lounge where you take a seat, open a tab and you have waiter service - lovely. To add to the feel, they have a wonderful soundtrack of old style jazz. The best idea, if you can, is to opt for the hotel's unlimited cocktail package. if you choose to buy individually however, I think the drinks are very well priced.
The hotel does not have a full kitchen so it cannot provide hot meals. It does, however, do great bar food - cheese and meat platters, nuts, olives etc. The portions are so enormous they could last you for a week! Also, the hotel is right in the middle of the High St which has loads of restaurants along it, so you wouldn't go hungry.
I wasn't so keen on the breakfast. Everything seemed a bit too 'processed' for my personal taste, but you can get hot food from the baker 2 doors away. The staff offer to get it for you, or if you don't want to pay VAT, they are happy for you to get it yourself and sit in the bar and eat it.
We were in room 6 which was nice. Huge bathroom. I agree that the walls are very thin and I didn't like the pillows, but there are worse faults! I imagine that in a building this old, regulations about what you can and can't do will be extremely strict.
To sum up, I think this is a really good and unusual idea. I wouldn't recommend it so highly if you didn't use the bar - that would seem like defeating the object.However, it is in a very good location, in the centre of the town, so that does stand in its favour. Personally I would go back again if only for the wonderful coctails!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Kenilworth is an 11 bedroom boutique Hotel & Cocktail lounge in Kenilworth, Warwickshire. Contemporary features and fittings in a 16th Century Building. Award winning cocktail lounge and voted as one of the top 50 destinations in the UK by 'The Independent'. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Odigeo, Priceline and Agoda so you can book your The Kenilworth Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Kenilworth Hotel Kenilworth
- The Hotel Kenilworth
- The Kenilworth Hotel Warwickshire