The Kenilworth Hotel
US$117
Grand Hotel(Kenilworth)
Agoda.com
  • Restaurant
All reviewscocktail barcocktail packagecontinental breakfastamazing cocktailsunlimited cocktailscoffee machineelemis toiletriesblack leathernice boutique hotelmueslihigh streetparking is limitedbit limitedcheese boardthe main hotelshower roomiron and ironing board
Reviewed 15 April 2013

Wow is all I can say about this place, you name it they'll make it or say what you like and the staff are so good the will make something for you.

If you are a malt whiskey, bourbon, gin, rum , tequila, vodka, brandy connoisseur then you will be in seventh heaven here, the most extensive spirits list I've seen in a long time.

If you like cocktails, their clever cocktail compass in the centre of the menu is a great guide.

Not the cheapest of nights as most drinks are about £8 each, but the atmosphere is electric, the drinks exciting and great measures.

Is you are within 20 miles of this place, and looking for somewhere different to go.....you will not be disappointed, but phone and reserve a table as it gets very very very busy!!!!

Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank ilc_cook
Reviewed 4 April 2013

I booked this hotel as I was looking for somewhere to stay in Kenilworth for the Easter Bank Holiday weekend - I was making a trip back to my home town after an absence of 12+ years! I wanted somewhere in the heart of Kenilworth that was small, independent, classy and unique - this hotel ticked ALL the boxes.

Upon arrival we were able to easily park at the back of the hotel in the allocated parking spaces (a great feature in a city centre hotel where parking can often be really tricky), we then made our way to reception that is located in the main part of the cocktail bar at the hotel and were welcomed by June (one of the hotel owners) and we were soon shown to our room (Room 6) on the ground floor towards the back of the hotel.

The room was warm (a very welcome relief in the positively Arctic conditions we are experiencing at the moment) and nicely decorated. The bed was a good size and comfortable and the bathroom was also very impressive though I would have preferred a bath instead of just a shower (but I was told about this when I booked) so no real complaints there.

A few things I would have liked to have seen/experienced; under floor heating in the bathroom, an extractor fan that started up more quietly and that also didn't stay on for quite so long once you had left the bathroom - the lights in the bathroom and extractor fan worked on a motion sensor. We were advised to always ensure the bathroom door was shut securely to avoid the light and extractor fan turning on should anybody get up during the night so we were advised of this issue.

The facilities in the room were perfectly adequate with nice extra pillows should the memory foam pillows not be to everyone's taste and there was a decent hair dryer, iron and ironing board as well as a large flat screen TV. There was free local and UK calls on the in room phone and a secure reliable wireless signal for internet access as well as an Ethernet cable should you not be able to log on to the wireless.

There was a lovely BOSCH Tassimo coffee machine in the room but I would have liked a larger selection of drinks to go in the machine, maybe a hot chocolate and a latte or a nice fruit tea, we have this coffee machine at work and I know that Tassimo have a wide selection of branded hot drinks discs for this machine. I also found the creamer milk that was supposed to go with the tea rather odd as it turned my tea into a latte and I would have preferred a little bit of cold milk or UHT to go with the tea. I am also a big fan of a biscuit or other light snack to go with the tea & coffee making facilities but these were not there - maybe biscuits and little snacks are not a staple of a more upmarket boutique hotel in all fairness.

The staff wee incredibly friendly and attentive and there was a lovely atmosphere at the hotel.

Room 6 that we stayed in was a little noisy and I suspect from looking at the layout of the hotel, the room backs onto the bar area as we would often hear bottles being stacked, picked up and glasses put into the dishwasher. The noise was not unbearable but it would have been nice to have been advised of this when we booked.

I also found the light coming through the windows, in Room 6 specifically the opaque window by the bed, rather annoying as it did disturb us when we were trying to get to sleep, I think this window must have been near the bins as we could also often here bins being filled outside this window, the curtain did have a decent blackout lining but as the curtains were the one's with holes in where they loop onto the curtain pole the light cam straight up and over the curtain pole. Perhaps a blackout blind in the recess of the window would have made more sense so it really did blackout.

The breakfast on the morning of departure was well laid out and adequate if a little lack lustre. I would have liked some really crispy warm croissants perhaps from one of the many local bakeries and a wider selection of teas but this is more personal preference that a complaint.

These are all only very minor issues for what was a very well equipped and lovely hotel to stay in. The Kenilworth has been going for over 9 years and is clearly a very welcoming hotel to stay in which oozes class and quality design and fitting all sensitively installed into a lovely grade 2 listed building. Had we stayed longer I may have asked to stay in one of the other rooms in the actual part of the hotel where the rooms have been converted from the old grade 2 listed cottages as I suspect these may have impressed me a little more. We were on the Cocktail Package at £199 for two people which included an overnight stay in a specific choice of rooms, with continental breakfast and as many cocktails as we wanted from time of arrival to the time the award winning cocktail bar closed.

All in all I would say this is a lovely hotel and I would recommend it without hesitation, however, I the hotel owners maybe need to look at the smaller aspects of the rooms and the breakfast and then it would get a 5 star rating from me!

PS - the cocktails are incredible! So many and prepared with a great deal of excellence and the waiting staff are wonderful, friendly, attentive and knowledgeable about the long list of cocktails.

Room Tip: As them where the rooms are located in relation to the Cocktail Bar as this may help if you are trying to get a quieter room.
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 26 March 2013

We quickly dropped in last Saturday evening and were very lucky to grab a spare table for drinks as you need to book and I can see why.

Even though we hadn't booked, the staff were welcoming and did their best to accommodate us.

This was the first time I had visited and was amazed - I loved the ambiance, interior and style of the bar. Smooth relaxing jazz playing, with a funky modern beat, low lighting - probably the most swanky bar on level with New York ones in the Midlands!

The cocktail menu is the most extensive I have ever seen and the mixologists really are pro's these aren't your typical 'sex on the beach' or 'tequila sunrise' they are the real deal cocktails!

We only stayed for one drink as we had dinner reservations else where, but we enjoyed it so much that we have booked the Sunday cocktail package with a room for the night in May - and we only live 5 miles away!

A fantastic deal for a gorgeous boutique room and unlimited cocktails for two all evening with breakfast - thoroughly looking forward to it and will write a more in depth review in May on the hotel as well once we have visited!

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Adrian L
Reviewed 23 March 2013

Stayed the night here in the attic room. Fabulous. Just wish we had got there earlier to enjoy the space and relax. There was a big bath and an amazing walk in shower, Room for two! Probably the best room we have stayed in in the UK. Cocktails fab as always. I cant think of anywhere better.

Room Tip: The attic room had loads of space a big bath and an amazing walk in shower. Room for two.
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Jools6999
Reviewed 19 March 2013

Called in to this boutique hotel and cocktail bar for a drink following an evening meal in the the town. First visit and what's delight it was. Genuine welcome, fantastic decor and the most extensive and wonderfully exciting range of cocktails we've ever experienced (except perhaps for the Almanac in Manchester). But the place was so friendly and warm. We could easily have been tempted to abandon the car and stay over!!!! However we resisted temptation, ordered just the one cocktail, made a nuisance of ourselves by asking the truly knowledgable cocktail guy all about the place and his cocktail menu which he did with genuine enthusiasm. We will definitely return to this hidden gem.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple