“Fantastic stay”
Review of Woodside Hotel

Woodside Hotel
Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in Kenilworth
Reviewed 16 January 2012

Having decided to have a weekend break and meet friends for Sunday lunch, we were looking for somewhere to stay and relax on the Saturday night in the midlands area. A friend recommended Woodside in Kenilworth and we booked at short notice. From a location point of view it was ideal, with Warwick, Coventry, Stratford upon Avon and Royal Leamington Spa all within a 20 minute drive and Birmingham a further 10 minutes away.

We went into our stay with our eyes wide open - Woodside is primarlity a Conference and Wedding venue, but that doesn't mean it can't do other things well. Upon arrival we were welcomed by the most professional hotel reception staff we have ever encountered. Their thoughtfulness, friendliness and manner was exceptional and really gave us a great first impression of the hotel. We were given a room that was more that adequate - spacious, clean and with good decor and facilities. It was warm and welcoming on a cold weekend.

Having no evening plans, we were given a variety of options with regards to our evening meal and the daily menu for the Orchard room was posted under the door so we could choose where to eat from the comfort of our own room.

We went with the daily menu from the Orchard room, and whilst there was a celebration in the adjoining conservatory, the restaurant staff were friendly and attentive and the food was excellent. This theme was carried through to breakfast, where there was more than ample choice and everything was well organised.

Our only slighty negative from our stay was the temperature of the indoor swimming pool - to say it was cold was a bit of an understatement, but we fully appreciated that of a weekend this probably is a facility that isn't used very much!

I think the leisure facilities are the only let down between Woodside and a really nice 4/5 star hotel, but the price we paid and our expectations meant this wasn't a problem. The staff and their service really was comparible with a 5 star hotel and that's why I will be recommending Woodside to others looking for somewhere convenient and relaxing to stay.

Based upon the service we experienced and the level of detail that the staff went to, I wouldn't be surprised if the conferences and weddings that are held there aren't also of an extremely high standard.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Andy S
AndrewHewitt, Deputy General Manager at Woodside Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 January 2012

Thank you for taking the time to write a review for us and the kind words you wrote.

I am extremely pleased that from the moment you arrived our staff looked after you We are very lucky with the staff we have here and it is good to know that they are recognised. It is also very pleasing that you enjoyed your meal with us, particularly as Kenilworth has many good restaurants now and our competition in that area is very strong.

As you rightly pointed out we are very well located to Coventry/Warwick/Stratford upon Avon and Leamington Spa, so I hope, should you be returning to the area you will choose to stay with us again.

Thank you once again.

There are newer reviews for Woodside Hotel

Reviewed 26 December 2011

Loved the pool but would have prefered better (separate) changing/showering facilities.
The room wasn't ideal for getting ready for a party ie difficult to access the main mirror for making up/drying hair due to position - bed & bedside table in the way. Old fashioned TV & very thin walls meant i heard next doors conversation into the early hours of the morning although they weren't talking loudly.
The hold water for the basin was dangerously scalding hot.
Staff wonderful & food exceptional

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled solo
2  Thank casagirasol14

Thank you for leaving a review for us on TripAdvisor.

I am sorry that you did not find all of our facilities favourable. As you pointed out we do have one communal changing area with separate changing areas for the pool. I can only assume that the room you stayed in would have been one of our smaller rooms, as we do have other more larger rooms that may have been more appropriate.

Thank you for your comments about the food and staff. As in previous reviews, we take great pride in customer service at all levels, so it is good to know that you were looked after.

I do hope that you would consider staying with us again, should you need a 'base' for visiting the local area.

Regards

Reviewed 2 December 2011

Set in peaceful extensive grounds with sports facilities, Woodside has a large car park, usually full of expensive company cars. The abundance of little groups in corners, clipboards, and moblies phones clamped to most ears, tell you this is a business hotel. If you accept that, and then enjoy for yourself the wonderful food, friendly staff, and leisure facilties, you won't be disappointed. The bedrooms are a bit corporate, but comfortable and warm, and you look in vain for a cosy lounge. But, hey, the prices are amazing, and you will be made very welcome. Go there and see for yourself. For what it is, it is very good.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
AndrewHewitt, Deputy General Manager at Woodside Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 December 2011

Hello,

Thank you very much for the kind words you have written about us.

I feel you have summed up Woodside extremely well, in fact we probably couldn't have worded it any better ourselves. We do accomodate a good amount of corporate and business guests but we believe in ensuring every guest enjoys their time with us and hopefully that came across during your stay.

Hopefully we can welcome you back soon.

Kind Regards,

Reviewed 7 November 2011

The rooms are quite old but are extremely spacious, clean, well kitted out, soft sheets, large bathroom, pleasant surroundings, wonderful and friendly staff. For a business trip, this hotel is perfect.

I am also a foodie and found the food to be superb although i did not sample the breakfasts.

Room Tip: the cottage block provided well appointed rooms
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business

Thank you very much for leaving a review for us. I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us and the fact you enjoyed the meal you had, I am sure had you had breakfast you would have not been disappointed.

Hopefully you will be able to return to us in the near future, and be able to get to enjoy the local area.

Regards,

Reviewed 25 October 2011

What can I say...
I first came across this hotel via late rooms. I stayed here last summer so my views and opinions are a snap shot of this period only!

The Room - Very dated with varnish peeling off the desk and bed side cabinets in the room. Old box TV with limited channels. Extremely thin walls to the point of being able to hear the next door neighbours whisper goodnight to one another - and the rest! The ceiling of the room is a treat for those who like to listen out for pin drops! The gap beneath the door was so large that I could fit my hand through it right up to my knuckles! The room was also based next to a noisy boiler! The room was number 15 possibly??

The Bathroom - Shower was great... Great at getting everything wet barring the person stood beneath it!! It sprayed everywhere making a mess of the bathroom and more importantly a creating a real safety hazard. The shower head was a Bacteriologists delight - lots of black gunk on it!

The Pool - Actually very nice! Clean & clear - A plus for this otherwise poor hotel (in my opinion).

The Sauna - Dodgy electrical switch pack on its entrance - fantastic opportunity for a shock probably greater than that of the room!

The Bar - Great food - Another plus for this hotel! Thai green curry was tasty!

Now for the most staggering part! I keep all my receipts - especially those bar ones to cross reference against my bill at the end of my stay! My last day arrived and I went to settle up and paid my bar and food bill! Out of interest I then cross referenced it with my individual receipts. 3 Orders stood out! A) I dint make the orders & B) I was in bed when they were made. I found this very unusual as to order anything from the bar I had to say my surname, show my room key and sign the bill. How could anyone have made these orders without my key!? I then explained the predicament to the lady on reception who promptly said it was my mistake!!! The customer is obviously not always right! I then demanded to see all the signed receipts which the lady begrudgingly agreed to. What a Surprise!! 3 Receipts with someone else's signature - A surprise for the lady behind the counter - now coughing whilst swallowing her words! I asked how this could happen. I didn't get a sufficient answer - I 'think' the bar staff were granting drinks under my room to 'regulars' - I can't confirm this but how else would they have gotten round the showing of the room key and my surname for orders??!

Overall - If the above doesn't describe it very well - A poor hotel - More annoyingly a real disappointment as it looks so nice from a distance and on websites!

Room Tip: Avoid Room 15!
  • Stayed: November 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank 7_Heavened
AndrewHewitt, Deputy General Manager at Woodside Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 1 November 2011

Hello,

I am very sorry that you did not enjoy your stay with us. We will obviously be looking to rectify the issues you have raised with your room, which you believe was room 15, particularly the shower which is of no use to anyone like that.

Please be assured that the controls are waterproof and safe for the sauna. As the leisure facilities we have on site are for residents only, and do not have a leisure membership it is not always required to be on.

I am very disappointed with the way you were made to feel on check out. Genuine mistakes such as this happen, and you should not have made to feel as though it was your fault. I am quite sure that it was a genuine mistake at the bar rather than the practice you felt may have happened.

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. Should you wish to contact me to discuss your stay further, I would be more than happy to do so.

Kind Regards

Reviewed 23 October 2011

We have stayed at this hotel on at least 6 seperate occassions. We have just returned from our latest. We decided to take our family to celebrate our daughters 21st, and we booked 3 rooms. The hotel in our opinion offers excellent value for money and the rooms are very comfortable. The main building is used for the reception, restaurants and conference and function facilities. Meals are generally taken in the main restaurant which also has a lovely conservatory area with beautiful views over the extensive gardens, and is lovely to watch the rabbits and squirrells playing outside whilst eating your breakfast. However, on occasions when there is a wedding taking place we have also eaten our meals in another room or the folley, which also houses the bar but in a seperate area. (Both other eating areas are more than adequate). The food for both evening meals and breakfast are of a very high standard and the waiting staff were very attentive, a credit in fact.

We have booked either direct with the hotel or via ebay, where they often have special offers including free trips to nearby attractions (Warwick castle, Hopton farm village, West Midlands Safari park to name a few). There are many things close by including the above but there is also Shakespeares houses in Stratford upon Avon which is a beautiful town, Cadbury's world and Bicester shopping village is also not too far a drive from here.

There is a lovely swimming pool very clean and usually nice and warm, there are showers and a sauna too, and lovely clean soft towels are provided for use. There is also a gym although i've always had good intentions I have yet to use it!! There is also a tennis court and small pitch and putt course in the grounds. Again despite my husband bringing clubs everytime we haven't tried it yet.

As people have commented the rooms are not in the main part of the house. I do not see this as a problem as they are close and the rooms are nice and very well appointed and everything has been thought of, extra pillows, hairdryer, fan, flatscreen tv, ironing board and Tea and Coffee making facilities and biscuits. The bathrooms again have lovely soft clean white towels and "the white company" products. My only comment would be softer toilet paper would be nice. We have had both double and family rooms and have never had a problem with space, there were 3 of us in one double room in our most recent, visit and usually we have 4 in a family room. I would say that on this occassion I did find that one of the rooms (room 6) the painting was looking a little tired especially on the window wall. I have not been disrupted at night by people in adjoining rooms and have always had a good nights sleep.

This hotel in my opionion is excellent for corporate events and team building, families, weddings, couples. In fact for everyone.

The staff our very attentive and will do their best to acccommodate your needs. Our first visit was a couple of years ago, we booked for 2 nights and ended up staying for 4. All in all a fantastic hotel which I would (and have) recommended and I am sure that we will visit again so

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family

Hello Rebecca,

Thank you for leaving such kind words for us on Tripadvisor.

Firstly, I hope your daughter enjoyed her 21st birthday with us, if I remember rightly you were dining in The Mulberry Brasserie part of the Parsons Folly.

I think you have summed up what Woodside is about, and how we operate quite eloquently, so thank you for that.

I hope that we can welcome you back many more times in the future.

Many thanks

Reviewed 22 October 2011

We booked a two night stay via ebay which was 2 nights for 2 people, breakfast and one evening meal for 140 pounds.
The drive up to the hotel is nice, but by no means this huge grand driveway I read about. The main building is beautiful but the rooms are in a separate two storey block which is a bit like a block of flats.
Our room was ok.... but it was boiling hot! No air con, just a plug in desk fan. We stayed in Septemebr but had to have the (tiny) window open and the desk fan on all night and sleep on top of the covers.
We had the meal on the first night..... we were advised this as there was a wedding the following day. Turned up at the restaurant which we thought was closed as all the lights were off and no staff there to greet you even though we had a table booked! Eventually someone came out and said as there were only a couple of tables booked that night, they were using the back part of the restaurant which was was a bit like a conservatory.
Im afraid the meal and overall experience of it was a disappointment.
The menu on the table was a set menu and no prices..... we expected this as we were on a package but not sure if there is an a la carte option for those who arent?
usual choice of 3 starters, mains etc.
Food was lukewarm and overcooked.
My husband ordered pork which was swimming in sauce... this is a bad sign as it always means the meat is not good! Could hardly get his knife through it it was so tough. Was like an overcooked thick gammon steak.,
We ordered white wine........ it came out warm. We questioned this and were told they had a delivery of wine that day and didnt have time to chill it. We asked for a differeent bottle and we were told that there was actually no cold white wine. the bottle was over 20 pounds and we werent even offered a discount. We were just given an ice bucket with about 6 pieces of ice in it.
The table next to us also complained about the wine and when they saw the menu, opted to not have a starter but they werent even offered extra bread or anything instead.
Next day we went to look at the gym. Ha! Its not a gym.... just a room about 10 foot x 10 foot with about 5 machines in it. Decided to not look at the pool as we could see this from the outside. changing rooms are unisex!
Had a drink in the bar that night....... wedding was going on and they all traipsed into this bar for a drink, via the other restaurant area! Extremely annoying. manager on duty just kept hovering around as if he wanted to tell them to go back to the private bar used for the wedding but didnt have the courage?
We left after one drink as was not relaxing in the slightest.
Breakfast the first morning was form a menu and was ok. full fry up although they forgot my beans and pudding. The 2nd morning it was buffet style.... usual warm food just being kept warm by heat lamps.
Upon check out, they tried to charge us again even though we had paid via ebay.
All in all ok but wouldnt recommend and wont be going back.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank josai

Hello,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review for us. I am very disappointed that you didn't fully enjoy your stay with us.

The Conservatory is part of the Orchard Restaurant and when we are not busy we do use this, to create a better atmosphere, as the bigger room can fit in excess of 100 people. I am very sorry that you did not enjoy your meal, and can only apologise that the pork was not up to our usual standards. Our white wine for the restaurant is kept in a wine fridge which keeps a temperature of between 8-10C, so I am sorry that it was not at the correct temperature. To my knowledge all the wine had been delivered the day before so should have been ok, but I am sorry that it was not to your liking.

As you highlighted, we normally run our breakfast 'buffet style', but again when not so busy, we will cook the food to order to keep a consistent quality.

I am extremely sorry for any embarrassment on check out, as obviously your prepayment should have shown up and you should not have been asked to pay again.

Thank you once again for taking the time to leave a review for us.

Regards,

Andrew Hewitt

Also consider these accommodations in or near Kenilworth
Highgate House Hotel
#4 of 7 in Kenilworth
Coombe Abbey Hotel
Coombe Abbey Hotel
#3 of 39 in Coventry

Been to Woodside Hotel? Share your experiences!