“Exceptional!”

Add it.
Abbey Guest House
Ranked #6 of 8 Kenilworth B&B and Inns
Reviewed 24 January 2014 via mobile

Having been told by the company whose course I was attending this last Tuesday that I could have a "special rate" of £85 for room only in the Holiday Inn Kenilworth I thought I'd look for something cheaper. I must say I'm delighted I did!!

The guest house itself is in a perfect location which seems quiet despite being a stones throw from the town centre and all sorts of shops and restaurants.

The room was clean and the facilities well above expectations. The bed was comfy and all the linen and towels immaculate.

David, the owner and host, was a gentleman in the true sense of the word - polite and efficient right through from enquiry to the welcome on arrival and finally on departure. The impression was that nothing's would be too much trouble for him.

It's the last time I'll ever use a travel lodge... With little gems like this, business travel doesn't need to be a bland room with sulky teenage staff!!

Excellent. Well deserving of the four stars and I shall definitely be visiting again when I have more time to explore the area!!

• Stayed: January 2014

Reviewed 9 December 2013

There was a very warm welcome from Dave, I was allocated a delightful little room on the second floor with a clean comfy bed. Breakfast was scrumptious, fresh fruit, cereals and pastries. The cooked menu had lots of choice and was served quickly. It is in a good central location with parking close by. Loved it!

Room Tip: The stairs to the second floor are steep, so ask for first floor room if this is a problem for you.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 16 October 2013

I've often touched down here to combine business and family and each trip has been a pleasure. David is the epitome of our congenial host, and his comfortable house couldn't be more central to everything.

Room Tip: I enjoy the quieter south side.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 17 September 2013

When your part of a large tv crew it's hard to find accomodation that suits but this place was fab!
The owner could not have been more helpful and was more than happy to get up early to give us all breakfast at 5.30am so set us off with full stomachs ready for the days shoot!
The rooms had everything you needed and were really cosy, great nights sleep.
Excellent location nears bars and restaurants.
Highly recommended!

• Stayed: September 2013
Reviewed 12 September 2013

What an incredible find, I booked a two night stay at this guest house and was warmly greeted by the owner David who was extremely helpful in recommending all the surrounding restaurants and places of interest in and around the areas of Kenilworth, Leamington and Warwick, an excellent source of information.

Then I was escorted to my room by David which was lovely and light and looked out to front of the property, I was more than happy with my lovely room.

I had an incredibly peaceful night’s sleep and although it’s the centre of Kenilworth, it’s remarkably quiet and peaceful.

Next day I went down to breakfast and was amazed by the choice and quantity of breakfast on offer. David caters for every possible breakfast you can imagine, I have never seen such variety and the food is all locally sourced and cooked to perfection, “eggs benedict” a true favourite and yummy.

I could not hesitate to recommend David’s guest house. It’s central location in Kenilworth is perfect, and has nearby free parking in the road adjacent to the Guest House.

A great find and I will be returning when I am next in the area.

Keep up the good work David you are doing a fabulous job.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Lydia C
Reviewed 12 August 2013

My friend booked this establishment for us for a crafting weekend away in Kenilworth. She rang and booked two double rooms for twin occupancy for one night. She chose it for the 4* rating it had according to the website. Within a few minutes she received a call saying there was a slight problem and he only had 1 single room on the top floor and a double on the first floor would she accept them. The original booking was for both rooms on the first floor due to me having trouble climbing stairs.
We arrived outside the establishment to find double yellow lines and no guest parking. This wasn't pointed out at the time of booking and when challenged the owner, said what did we expect from a town centre B&B? We were able to find a pay and display car park a few hundred yards away so used that initially. My friend did find street parking for overnight but had to move the car before 8am on the Sunday morning back to the previous car park for free Sunday parking.
We walked back to the B&B to be met by David, the owner, who joked about us being fit as we had two flights of stairs to climb to our rooms. My friend challenged him again about this as it wasn't he'd told her initially. He apologised, took our bags and proceeded to lead us up the stairs. The stairs hadn't seen a hoover in months, they were covered in bits and fluff. Our rooms were adjacent and to be fair David did offer to ring around to see if he could find us alternative accommodation and admitted he 'hadn't done very well with our booking'. I had the double room which overlooked the front. The room was tired and the en-suite tiny. The shower head had never been cleaned since installation! The shower tray filled up with water as I was using it and I had to quickly turn it off so the room didn't flood.However the bedding and towels were pristine. There were tea and coffee making facilities and a pack of biscuits. My friend's single room was minute, cramped and more than a little tired, her en suite was even smaller than mine, had no handle on the bi-folding bathroom door. The curtains were dirty and there was a pile of loose tablets on the window sill from a previous occupant. David had told my friend that this room had been a double room but he'd changed it to a single. I find it hard to imagine where the double bed would have fitted as the room was so small. It also looked out on to Waitrose car park and my friend said she had no sleep for all the noise of lorries/deliveries all night.
There were no curtains or window dressings in either the lounge or breakfast room. One of the bulbs in the entrance hall light fitting is missing.......not what you would expect from a 4* establishment. We didn't use the guest lounge at all as when we got back from dinner out somebody had been eating in there and the lingering smell of the food and the dirty plates made us cringe. This room looked 'un-loved' too.
Breakfast next morning was superb, the tables had crisp white tablecloths and David provided a lovely breakfast and was very attentive. The choice of breakfast is amazing, if anyone goes away hungry it's their own fault.
David admitted he runs the place on his own since a marriage breakdown and the place is actually up for sale. It definitely shows a lack of a woman's touch. There were magazines in one of the drawers in my bedroom from 2010! He did reduce our bill due to all the mix ups.
Would we go again? Definitely not. David, in is defence, is a lovely guy, very friendly does a brilliant breakfast but needs to take a step back, smell the coffee and maybe employ a cleaner!!

Room Tip: Choose a room overlooking the front, although on a main road they seem to be quieter than those at t...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Tilly142
Reviewed 4 August 2013

I have to mention the breakfast first. Wonderful choice of fresh and locally sourced foods. The tastiest breakfast I have had in years!!

Very centrally located but suprisingly quiet after dark which results in a good night's sleep in a comfortable and well equiped room

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple