“Cracking hotel, excellent value for money.”
Review of Grand Hotel

Grand Hotel
Ranked #7 of 7 Hotels in Kenilworth
Coventry
“Cracking hotel, excellent value for money.”
Reviewed 21 June 2012

I needed to find a hotel for wedding guests to stay in for early June. We had booked the entire Kenilworth hotel out at a very high cost, but needed somewhere close, but a bit cheaper for other guests.

I found the Grand hotel via one of the hotel booking sites and booked up about 4 rooms. I also told other guests who also booked up a number of rooms. So we had quite a few rooms all together. Worth noting that those guests who waited until last minute managed get this hotel at a very big reduced price. Im sure some were quoted around £48 a night which was very reasonable.

Imagine my total horror therefore when nearer the date we were all due to check in, when I decided to checkout reviews on tripadvisor. OMG.... I was seriously kicking myself. 1/5 stars from a lot of people and some of the worst reviews id ever read.

However, it was a bit too late to change bookings, so we went ahead.

I phoned up as we were driving to the hotel to check about parking, a very polite man answered the phone quickly and told me parking was no problem. Sure enough, parking was not a problem. Theres a carpark outside the hotel, which granted, is fairly small when compared to the number of rooms in the hotel, but we arrived at around 11am and had no problem parking.

The checking process was smooth and when I looked at the rooms (I checked 3 of them out personally), I was extemely impressed. Very very big rooms, nice pine furniture, a seriously massive comfortable bed, chairs, table, coffee/tea facilities, modern Sony LCD TV (32inch i think). The whole room looked like it had been recently redecorated. The bathroom also looked very modern, nice tiles, nice clean bathroom suite. All in all I couldnt fault it.

The staff were friendly and the breakfast was very good, we stayed 1 nights and had the full english both times.

The only thing I could fault was one of the guests had room 1. Which was as described above, but it backed onto the kitchens from the sounds of it, so there was pots & pans noise and also piano playing. But the guest who stayed in there said it stopped at 10pm and therefore wasnt a problem. In any case, on the Saturday night we all attended a wedding and so wasnt back until about 11pm.

All in all what I expected to be a hotel which made Fawlty Towers look like the Ritz turned out to be a cracking bargain. Id definitely recommend it.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Dursley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 June 2012

Booked my son into this hotel for one night, and despite the reviews was pleasantly surprised. Nice large clean and tidy room with a great breakfast. Hotel even gave us a call to check on approx. arrival time.
They do need to make the entrance clearer. There is one entrance on high street which clearly marked but is locked. The next entrance is an indian restaurant, where they politely advised us that the entrance is in fact around the corner.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank Malcolm A
Suffolk
Reviewed 9 June 2012

We stayed here for three nights when visiting a museum nearby. A large double room with a spotless clean large new bathroom. Tea coffee,biscuits complementary toiletries and bottled water. Temperature in room a little erratic radiator cold when we arrived but then turned on from late evening onward. Extra pillows available and wi-fi in room. Breakfast selection of continental and or freshly cooked to order. Small car park , location of hotel,is good right on the Warwick Road and spoilt for choice for good eating places. Only downside was the carpet in our room needed replacing but other than that very good for the money we paid would not hesitate to book again.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
Kenilworth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 June 2012

We arrived there after staying in two Coventry´s hotel. Our experience was great. His manager left us a big room, so we had plenty of space to leave the baggage. In fact, he helped us in order to the take the luggage from our car. The bath was also spacious and we had free Internet, so I have to say that it´s worth every penny you pay.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 7 May 2012 via mobile

Terrible service. Room hadn't been cleaned from whoever stayed in it prior to us. The manager Peri is dishonest and will say what he has to secure your business. Be aware.

• Stayed September 2011
2 Thank GGSINGH

Travellers are raving about these Kenilworth hotels

Warrington, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 April 2012

I stayed at 'Grand Hotel' on business, although the staff were friendly and helpful the buildings (the hotel actually seems to be a series of residential properties) were well below par, even for a budget hotel. I paid £57 as I booked on the day, the website I booked it on claimed that the standard rate was £120 which I find completely unbelievable.

On entry the first issue I found was that the carpet was completely filthy and stained, which was unpleasant. Other unpleasantries were a broken window in the bathroom which wouldn't shut (this made the room extremely cold), stains all over the walls, dirty windows and a mouldy set of blinds in the bathroom, and a trouser press which made my trousers stink!! As well as the issues with the decor and general cleanliness of the room's furnishings the whole room was very noisy whenever even a slight wind blew outside, it would whistle very loudly - the wind blew all night which meant I had very little sleep.

The food at the hotel owned Raffles restaurant is not up to much either, the breakfast in the hotel was ok at absolute best. The whole stay was pretty poor apart from the staff who were good.

Room Tip: From what I have read and my own experience don't stay on the top floor!
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
west midalnds uk
Reviewed 27 February 2012

This hotel is very close to my house and I was looking for somewhere to put my family not long before Christmas 2011. Bit of a delay writing this, sorry. Due to the negative reviews on here I decided to go have a look a look in advance. The gentleman on reception was very very helpful and he happily showed me one of the rooms. Everything looked perfectly fine and the room was very large and clean, so I booked one double room and one family room. The man explained that the family room would be on the other side and checked that it wouldn't be an issue.

My family stayed at the hotel and I asked them if everything was ok, the reported back and said that the rooms were great, clean and warm and that the staff were very family... And some members of my family can be a bit of a handful!

Overall this is ver good value wham you compare it to other hotels in Kenilworth, for the money you pay the rooms are large and clean and the staff are helpful. It's not the Ritz, but it's not trying to be.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with family