“Fish and Chips Stratford Upon Avon”
Review of Barnabys

Barnabys
Price range: US$1 - US$9
Cuisines: Seafood, Fast food, British
Good for: Child-friendly, Kids
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Outdoor Seating, Seating, Takeout, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: We Serve Traditional fish and chips. Take away or restaurant plus icecream parlour. A self service restaurant.
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Fish and Chips Stratford Upon Avon”
Reviewed 30 May 2014

Sunday 25\05\2014. Great location overlooking the Bancroft Gardens and a stone’s throw from the RSC Theatre and the Avon river this couldn’t really be much better.
fairly basic fish and chip shop with both takeaway ‘eat in’ area equipped with tiled floor, melamine tables and vinyl seats. Décor is reasonably light and inviting.

The ‘eat in’ system is rather chaotic and was explained in a rather fierce and irritated fashion by the woman behind the fryer. Orders are taken at the fryer and you have to take a ticket with the order number to a separate till for payment in advance. The order was ready in about ten minutes.

Order numbers are shouted out across the restaurant whereupon you have to go back to the fryer, break into the queue at the fryer and carry the plates back yourself through the queue and down steps to your table. The trays aren't big enough for two adult and two children’s plates’ at once so two journeys were necessary. I noticed that they did deliver to a party of older customers although if you have young children you are left to your own devices.

The tables and chairs were not that clean with remnants of food on surfaces and floor and the covering of the seats (in the front window) was cracked and tired. Chips were average rather bland and a little dry, the fish portion was not overly large. The batter was reasonably thin and not too greasy. Overall portion size was adequate but on the small side for this type of establishment in my experience.
No garnishes, e.g. lemon slices etc were provided so all in all a pretty basic offering.

Cutlery was cheap though clean although I noticed a poorly washed plate being loaded with coleslaw at the counter.

The overall cost was almost exactly £25 for two adult fish and chips, two children’s meals (four chicken nuggets with enough chips for a ten year old) and two bottles of apple juice, so not exactly cheap and cheerful. You have to pay extra for (catering brand) sachets of sauce.

Fish and chips are not challenging to produce one can reasonably expect a chip shop to be able to deliver a good standard as a matter of course therefore I can only judge this type of place on service and value for money. I would rate the service I experienced as poor or at least the mininum necessary. I didn’t appreciate the rather terse way the staff deal with customers,not just myself. Everything seems designed to make the life of the restaurateur easier rather than provide a pleasant experience for the customer.

Business is business but the overall impression here is of people soullessly making money rather than making an effort to produce good simple food and a pleasant experience. I personally won’t be going back again as it just wasn’t very nice.

• Korean first
Chesterfield, United Kingdom
“Tasteless expensive lunch”
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Recently visited for lunch. It cost almost £20 for two portions of fish and chips with peas, a cup of tea and a glass of diet coke. The fish was soggy and undercooked and was totally lacking in any flavour. Very disappointing and not worth the money. A young lad on the next table to us had a sausage which also looked undercooked. We will not be visiting again.

• Visited May 2014
“Would recommend to everybody!!!”
Reviewed 23 May 2014

After few hours of walking around Stratford upon Avon my family and I decided to have fish and chips for dinner so we went to Barnaby's as it seemed close to town and as it was friday we said we must have the Traditional! We had 4 fish and chips and mushy peas and they weren't just fish and chips. Served in 7 minutes we had the nicest piece of Cod ever, with very reasonable amount of batter, well coated, and the chips were fantastic. Obviously paying the odd £7 for one meal was well worth me sticking around for. We have had excellent customer service and we will definitely recommend this place to family and friends and spread the good word!! Five Stars and 10 out of 10. We will come back!

• Visited May 2014
“Don't bother with this place!”
Reviewed 15 May 2014

Fish and chips were okay but totally overpriced. Boyfriend ordered two sausages which were disgusting and cost £2.20, when I told them and asked if we could have a refund as they weren't very nice and inedible, the staff told me that some people don't like sausages! What kind of response is that?!? Overall bad service and overpriced food. I wouldn't bother with this place.

High Wycombe, United Kingdom
“Excellent Fish & Chips, but you may have to wait”
Reviewed 6 May 2014

It was yesterday May 5th, a Bank Holiday and the sun was shining. So, lets go for a drive, take the roof off the car and head off for .....Stratford upon Avon, why not?

It was very busy and finding somewhere to eat outside was challenging but we came across Barnaby's Fish & Chip restaurant, well more a cafe and at 2pm on a Bank Holiday Monday the queue to get fish and chips came out the door and went a good 50 yards down the street. Whoa, a Brit I may be but queuing is not a national sport, not in my book....

Until a young lady seated at one of the outside tables told us the queue was for the 'take away' not if you're eating in, or in our case outside!

We both had cod and chips, they'd run out of the haddock, and there was enough food on the plate for two and it was great, and all for £7 a head. They have bottled beer and little bottles of red & white wine at £3.25 a bottle, nicely chilled too; the white!

The whole place is a bit mad but well worth a visit, we'll be going again, give it a try