“Rude, homophobic employees”

Price range: US$1 - US$9
Cuisines: British
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Breakfast
Description: We Serve Traditional fish and chips. Take away or restaurant plus icecream parlour. A self service restaurant.
Reviewed 3 June 2014

After paying an extortianate seven quid for your bog standard greasy fish and chips a friend and I were appalled to realise that two of the employees were blatantly laughing in the face of another member of our group who is openly gay. I don't care what their views are on sexual orientation, it was rude, uncalled for and really unprofessional. They had no right to judge him, and especially not based on a prejudice as hurtful and ignorant (in my opinion) as that. I would not recommend this restaurant to anyone.

7  Thank Anniebanannie1910
Potateo, Owner at Barnabys, responded to this reviewResponded 4 June 2014

This reveiw is millicious and untrue. It has been reported to trip adviser as offensive.

Reviewed 1 June 2014

While visiting friends in Warwickshire, we decided to spend the day in Stratford-upon-Avon and to have a hearty lunch rather than a heavy evening meal. We spied Barnaby's Fish Restaurant near to the Royal Shakespeare Company theatre and the Avon Ring and expected a perfect F&C meal since this was the main fare, apart from sausage & chips, pizzas, salads and sandwiches. We all had cod & chips and the fish portions were good, the fish well cooked and the batter thin and crispy. What a pity this quality was not matched by the chips: the portions were generous, but the quality was awful, with undercooked anaemic-looking potatoes presented as chips. The exterior of these wedges of potato looked as though they had never been near hot oil, and the interior was just a soggy mess.

Were it not for the fish quality & quantity, I would have rated this restaurant as "poor" rather than "average".

The establishment probably survives owing only to location : this is a shame, because all that is needed to bring it up to a "very good" category is to hire a chef who knows how to cook chips.

Reviewed 30 May 2014

Sunday 25\05\2014. Great location overlooking the Bancroft Gardens and a stone’s throw from the RSC Theatre and the Avon river this couldn’t really be much better.
fairly basic fish and chip shop with both takeaway ‘eat in’ area equipped with tiled floor, melamine tables and vinyl seats. Décor is reasonably light and inviting.

The ‘eat in’ system is rather chaotic and was explained in a rather fierce and irritated fashion by the woman behind the fryer. Orders are taken at the fryer and you have to take a ticket with the order number to a separate till for payment in advance. The order was ready in about ten minutes.

Order numbers are shouted out across the restaurant whereupon you have to go back to the fryer, break into the queue at the fryer and carry the plates back yourself through the queue and down steps to your table. The trays aren't big enough for two adult and two children’s plates’ at once so two journeys were necessary. I noticed that they did deliver to a party of older customers although if you have young children you are left to your own devices.

The tables and chairs were not that clean with remnants of food on surfaces and floor and the covering of the seats (in the front window) was cracked and tired. Chips were average rather bland and a little dry, the fish portion was not overly large. The batter was reasonably thin and not too greasy. Overall portion size was adequate but on the small side for this type of establishment in my experience.
No garnishes, e.g. lemon slices etc were provided so all in all a pretty basic offering.

Cutlery was cheap though clean although I noticed a poorly washed plate being loaded with coleslaw at the counter.

The overall cost was almost exactly £25 for two adult fish and chips, two children’s meals (four chicken nuggets with enough chips for a ten year old) and two bottles of apple juice, so not exactly cheap and cheerful. You have to pay extra for (catering brand) sachets of sauce.

Fish and chips are not challenging to produce one can reasonably expect a chip shop to be able to deliver a good standard as a matter of course therefore I can only judge this type of place on service and value for money. I would rate the service I experienced as poor or at least the mininum necessary. I didn’t appreciate the rather terse way the staff deal with customers,not just myself. Everything seems designed to make the life of the restaurateur easier rather than provide a pleasant experience for the customer.

Business is business but the overall impression here is of people soullessly making money rather than making an effort to produce good simple food and a pleasant experience. I personally won’t be going back again as it just wasn’t very nice.

Reviewed 28 May 2014

Recently visited for lunch. It cost almost £20 for two portions of fish and chips with peas, a cup of tea and a glass of diet coke. The fish was soggy and undercooked and was totally lacking in any flavour. Very disappointing and not worth the money. A young lad on the next table to us had a sausage which also looked undercooked. We will not be visiting again.

Reviewed 23 May 2014

After few hours of walking around Stratford upon Avon my family and I decided to have fish and chips for dinner so we went to Barnaby's as it seemed close to town and as it was friday we said we must have the Traditional! We had 4 fish and chips and mushy peas and they weren't just fish and chips. Served in 7 minutes we had the nicest piece of Cod ever, with very reasonable amount of batter, well coated, and the chips were fantastic. Obviously paying the odd £7 for one meal was well worth me sticking around for. We have had excellent customer service and we will definitely recommend this place to family and friends and spread the good word!! Five Stars and 10 out of 10. We will come back!