“Stratford upon Avon relaxation time”

Travelodge Stratford Upon Avon
“Stratford upon Avon relaxation time”
Reviewed 27 August 2013

One of the best hotels in the travel lodges, very clean and friendly, also 5minutes walk to the centre of Shakespeare's home town.. Been 4 times and will no doubt go again... Free car park available

Review collected in partnership with Travelodge

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (146)
Wales
Reviewed 23 August 2013

Only a ten or fifteen minute walk from the town centre, with supermarkets and a nice retail park across the way. Although it's on a main road, it didn't really affect my sleep at night. The room was better than I'd expected, I'd recently stayed in another Travelodge elsewhere which was poor in comparison to here. Everything was well maintained and clean and stylish. The gentleman (sorry I didn't know his name) who checked us in was really friendly, funny and helped us with lots of information regarding the area and where things were. He was also a regular face who said hello when we went out and came back, which was nice. I can't recommend this highly enough. It is an affordable place to stay and close enough to the town centre and theatres. We'll definitely be staying there again.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family

Solihull, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 August 2013

Rooms hot and uncomftable, hard bed, dirt batheroom, bad lighting, bad location on main road with cars and buses driving past causing noise, the breakfast area is like a canteen, the only good thing i can say about this dump is that there was free parking other than that stay away !!!

3 Thank stephen b
TravelodgeUK, Dianne from Customer Care at Travelodge Stratford Upon Avon, responded to this review, 29 August 2013
Dear stephen b, we’re really sorry to hear about the problems you had at our hotel. We would like to further understand the issues you have highlighted to find a resolution. Please could you visit our website and select the Contact Us button to provide us with more details and when doing so please specify you have left a TripAdvisor review.

Travellers are raving about these Stratford-upon-Avon hotels

Reading, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 August 2013 via mobile

The hotel is like a sauna and presumably a design fault as reception said there was nothing they could do to turn it down. Fans provided, we had 2 in the room but it just moved the hot air around. Windows are small ans very restricted opening so no escape from the heat. I've had no sleep in 4 nights which has ruined holiday as too tired to enjoy things and everyone snappy.
Breakfast not great. Orange juice made from watered down concentrate, not sure instructions followed based on taste. Despite scrambled eggs made from powdered egg, it was salty. No hash browns. No jam despite having croissants and jam being popular. Ran out of mugs. No small plates for toast or croissant.

Modern rooms mean no wardrobe, no drawers, no bedside tables! Limited plugs, in fact only 3 and 2 used for fans.

Window gutter full of decaying rubbish and condom wrappers.

Needless to say not only will I not be returning, I won't be using Travelodge again. I suggest you find a deal at premier inn or Falcon Inn.

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank Jacko_2102
Dear Jacko_2102, we are sorry to learn that due to the temperature in the room you were unable to get a good night sleep. Unfortunately we do not have air conditioning in all of our hotels; as you are aware we do have a number of fans at reception for guests to request in an attempt to make our customer’s stays more comfortable. We understand that you did raise your concerns regarding the guttering and this was resolved by our hotel staff. The hotel has been made aware of the feedback that you have left which will help support any improvements that need to be made.
Reviewed 22 August 2013

Pleasant stay in Stratford, stayed here for 4 nights as we were travelling about.

Pros: Good Location, Warwick and Leamington Spa about 20 mins away
Parking is free
Roughly 10mins to walk to centre
Good spacious room
Rooms were clean
Basic amenties ie Kettle, Iron (when requested) no hairdryers though
Friendly and helpful reception staff

Cons: Room was absolutely roasting at night
Our room was situated on the main road therefore it was very noisy as we needed the window because it was sweltering, request a room facing the car park as it will be quieter
We had dinner there first night, nothing special really.
Wifi was very expensive if you needed it(I just used my phone)

Overall: Apart from the noise and heat we had a pleasant stay!!

Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Danny G
Bedford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 August 2013

We are so angry with Travelodge I have decided to write a review on here. After drafting an email to the company, I had to then submit it through their site. I requested that we were spoken to in person and also contacted by email. We have received a refund for the night we didn't stay but not for the uncomfortable night's stay that we did have. We were then asked to complete a survey asking about our time at Travelodge. I did this, The reply was automated stating someone would contact us in two working days. This hasn't happened.
Do not stay here. The room temperature is dangerous especially for babies. Even if I'd have had a fan, it would only have circulated the warm air. I shall include the picture of the stain visible on my son's duvet. I hope that it is tea. The receptionist confessed to moving people out of the top two floors last month because of the heat. The window is so tiny and is obviously restricted. You can manage to look down out of it - to the windowsill which needs all those cigarette butts collecting. I've also taken pictures of the lack of storage, the bathroom floor and the décor. Birmingham road is so busy that if the heat doesn't get you down the noise outside will.
I would never expect this from a hotel. To receive only half our money back and no human contact is disgraceful. Here is the email we sent to Travelodge:-

Dear Sir/Madam

I am writing to you in regards to a stay at one of your hotels this week.

Unfortunately our stay as so bad we were forced to check out and book another hotel for the remainder of our stay.

On Tuesday 13th August 2013, we decided to book a family break in Stratford upon Avon for two nights.

We booked a family room for my wife and I, and our two children, our son aged 9 years and our daughter aged 8 months. We arrived on the afternoon of the 14th of August and had not planned to check out until 16th August. The total cost of the booking was £120.75

Before we arrived we checked some of the reviews of your hotels. Everything seemed fine, and we found no reason not to go ahead with the booking.

On arrival we were dismayed to find that our room on the 3rd/top floor did not have air conditioning as standard, There was a tiny window and no air circulating the room whatsoever.

The heat in the room was unbearable. It was 20 degrees outside during the day and 16 degrees at night but at least 30 degrees inside the room. It was stifling. We took our son and our baby and went out for the evening hoping that when it came time to put the children to bed, the temperature in the room would have dropped a bit in the room.

We had the worst nights sleep we have ever had at any hotel. In fact, neither my wife, nor I got any sleep and neither did our baby. We were very worried about the baby. I know that the heat in the room at 30 degrees was not safe for a baby so young as her even stripped down to a nappy as she was. She was restless all night.

We had the window open and if the heat in the room was not bad enough, we could hear cars, motorcycles, lorries and sirens all night as well as other guests coming and going.
There were other factors within the hotel that we were not happy with, the main reason for contacting you is that on the morning of 15th August we knew that we could not risk another night in the hotel with our children, We were not relaxed or well rested.

We spoke to a chambermaid who suggested that we try another floor but agreed it probably wouldn't make a difference especially regarding the noise. We knew we had the last family room and the problem with noise would be the same. I doubt that it would have been any cooler in any other room.
At our own expense we booked another hotel - also a "budget hotel" at an extra cost of £118.00

We informed the receptionist that we felt it necessary to check out early and our reasons why. The staff were sympathetic and stated that the heat had been an issue with people checking out in the past and that we should write this email to Travelodge and request a refund which is what we are doing.

The heat in the rooms was not pointed out to us at the time of booking.

Had we known that this was such an issue we would not have chosen Travelodge for our break away.

We were also told that original the hotel had been on one floor with further floors added later. The units were then sealed. This is why the floors are so hot. There is nowhere for the air to escape. So I ask you, why is there no air conditioning?

Is saving money at the risk of losing the customer?

I'd like to add that the carpet was dirty, the duvet on our son's bed had a nasty looking stain on it, I have taken a picture of this. The shower was not at all powerful with an eco smart system fitted to it. We only had two towels laid in the room, there was four of us the cleaner's way of servicing the room was putting the things outside it for us to do ourselves.

The restaurant café was stark with no atmosphere. I don't want to hear Jeremy Kyle in the mornings on the television and I certainly don't want my son to watch it.

The food wasn't covered and I was unable to eat it because of the flies and wasps in the restaurant area, caused because the fire doors were open because it was so hot inside.

I would like a refund and a reply.

I would be very reluctant to stay in any Travelodge again.

Regards

Room Tip: Book a Premier Inn. Good night guarantee and air conditioning as standard. If you're told you...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank Dizzybobs
TravelodgeUK, Sophie from Customer Care at Travelodge Stratford Upon Avon, responded to this review, 29 August 2013
Dear Dizzybobs, we would like to take this opportunity to confirm that we have taken you comments very seriously and have replied to your recent email offering a resolution to your complaint, please do not hesitate in replying to our email if you have any other concerns or queries.
Newtown, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 August 2013

Terrible location, room was right above a main road into Stratford, buses seemed to be running 24 hours a day, heard every one of them through the night! Room was hot and a terrible smell about it. We booked a double room, ended up with 2 single beds pushed together - very uncomfortable. Will not be going there again!!

1 Thank spangle68
TravelodgeUK, Sophie from Customer Care at Travelodge Stratford Upon Avon, responded to this review, 23 August 2013
Dear spangle68, we are really sorry to learn that you were unable to get a good night sleep during your stay due to external noise and the temperature in the room. Unfortunately we do not have air conditioning in all of our hotels; however we do offer a number of fans at reception. We will ensure that the hotel are made aware of the concerns you have raised which will allow them investigate further.