“Ambience”

Oak Room @ Ettington Park
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 6 October 2013

All of the public rooms at Ettington Park have ambience by the bucket load, they reflect the period when Shakespeare is alleged to have visited the property, if you like wood panelling, ornate ceilings and antique mirrors, this is the place.

There are newer reviews for Oak Room @ Ettington Park

Reviewed 21 September 2013

A group of us went here for Sunday lunch, and you really can't fault the location. The building itself is stunning, and the grounds make for a very rewarding walk after dinner. We were made very welcome when we arrived, and were shown into the lovely Drawing Room for pre-lunch drinks (good selection, but very pricey). We were then shown into the Oak Room for lunch. The service here was a little inconsistent, as we were waited on by three different members of staff - ranging from nervous, to overly-friendly. In terms of ordering and delivering food though, there were no issues. The food itself was good without being spectacular, although the portion-size - even for a fine-dining restaurant was a little disappointing. My desert in particular was tiny - two mouthfuls! I have to say, that I was still hungry after three courses - which is very unlike me when I dine out. Having said that, a three-course Sunday lunch for £24.95 in such wonderful surroundings was just about worth the money.

Reviewed 2 September 2013

Food was delicious, service is amazing, wine is a really nice selection of high quality wines. The only issue you may have is that it's all such high quality, the prices are more like central London Michelin star price rather than country retreat. However, it was good enough for me to feel perfectly happy picking up the tab.

Reviewed 2 September 2013

I booked afternoon tea for myself and 4 others as a girly treat, left feeling a bit disappointed. The building itself and the grounds are stunning, on arrival it felt like a very expensive hotel, on the inside though...not so much. There was a wedding at the venue on the day we visited so we were seated in the library instead of the main restaurant which was a shame as this room is small and quite dark. The tea itself was quite nice but for £18.95 I have had better. The interior is a bit shabby and rough round the edges. With a bit of TLC it would be really lovely, unfortunately the inside lets the outside down dramatically! Service during tea was good but when we wanted to pay our bill we were told that we would need to wait at reception, which we did. They were however busy checking people into rooms so unfortunately we waited for 20 minutes! I won't be rushing back!

1  Thank Ema S
Reviewed 5 June 2013

Had not eaten in the Oak Room before - only been to the hotel previously to attend a wedding reception. It's a wonderful building and full of history but we left disappointed after our visit.
The staff are friendly but something is lacking as far as the overall service and presentation are concerned.
The menu at £24.95 offered a good choice and the starter was adequate. Then the main course arrived - plated and looking like a canteen meal! We had chosen the chicken and surprised to find that a small jug of bread sauce had been included on the same plate and was sitting in the gravy! If it is one big issue I have with restaurants it is having all the vegetables and potatoes included on the plate especially when green beans are included which I particularly dislike. Fair enough if fine dining then the artistry of these additions usually enhances the plate but in this case there was no skill.
We chose the crumble for dessert which was served with vanilla ice cream. The plates arrived - a ramekin dish containing the crumble with a scoop of ice cream on the top but this was sitting on a large plate with a folded full sized white napkin underneath. A very strange presentation because to get one's spoon into the dish you needed to remove the ice cream so had to remove the napkins!
Not on our list for a re visit in the future.