“Best Pub Food in Town”

Price range: US$7 - US$16
Cuisines: British, Pub
Good for: Romantic, Child-friendly, Bar Scene, Business meetings, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Description: Winners of the 2017 Best Pub Award in Coventry and Warwickshire. Thatched, low beamed and flag stone floor tavern. Dates from 1470 and has many original features. Log fires., Lovely leaded windows and a cosy atmosphere.
Reviewed 7 August 2014

Being from Stratford, I can recommend lots of places to eat for visitors: great Italian, superb Indian and fabulous Greek; but if anyone asked me for great English pub food, that wouldn't break the bank, I'm never been sure where to send them- until now.
I had not eaten in "The Thatch" for years when my wife and I visited, last Saturday, after a day trip to Birmingham on the train- the pub is only a short walk from the station. The menu is clear and enticing- full of English classics- and the staff were friendly and attentive. My wife had an excellent steak and I had faggots, both dishes were accompanied by fabulous crispy chips. There is a roast every day and the fish and chips being consumed at the next table looked great. Fans of real cask ale will not be disappointed as the pub has a great, well-kept, selection.
If you are visiting Stratford and come into town from the railway station, don't walk past The Thatch looking for somewhere better- I doubt that you will find it.

1  Thank Philipstickley

Reviewed 2 August 2014

We Visited The Old Thatched Tavern when we were having a short break lovely pub and small restaurant, excellent food and staff werebrilliant especially the bar lady, meals served till 9 but worth a visit not cheap tho

Reviewed 31 July 2014

Food was average and a little too pricey. Too many modern touches considering its an old property. We preferred the White Swan which is a beautiful place which has kept a lot of its history the building is beautiful with some unique touches.

Reviewed 24 July 2014 via mobile

Nice old pub that's always been quite quiet and welcoming during the day when I've been in. Good beer, well kept. Good place for a chat with mates!

Reviewed 23 July 2014 via mobile

Have eaten here previously and noted how good the whole package venue, food was.

But, while a good night was had with family eating out, expectations were high, based on previous experience. The issue is consistency. This was a Tuesday night the plates of food presented were not as well cooked as our previous visit.

Our best experience at this venue has interestingly been when they are busiest at the weekends.