“Return nightmare visit!”
Review of The Encore

The Encore
Price range: US$16 - US$54
Cuisines: British
Good for: Child-friendly, Groups, Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine, Bar Scene
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Description: The Encore is situated next to the River Avon and RSC theatre in the historic town of Stratford Upon Avon. We are open every day whatever the occasion, whether popping in for a drink to dining in our beautiful upstairs restaurant.
Reviewed 9 June 2014

After visiting The Encore twice last year and having an enjoyable experience, we looked forward to our visit yesterday. However, we were bitterly disappointed. Stratford was heaving with visitors, yet The Encore was fairly quiet. We sat inside and ordered our food. Smoked fish cakes with salad and two roast pork lunches. The fish cakes were tiny little deep fried to death balls full of potato but no fish with a lettuce leaf, two halves of a cherry tomato and three slices of spring onion ( cost £9.95) I asked for more salad and saw this was added to the bill as an additional side order! The pork lunches were three slices of thin pork, three roast potatoes and a small bowl of mange tout and carrot to SHARE! The roast lunches were £14.95 each! After a very unpleasant incident regarding the vegetables the manager, who was very apologetic and honest said there would be no charge for any of our meals. The place was dirty, full of flies and just generally unpleasant. Very sad to see such a thriving place sink to this.

1  Thank Karen_Kingswinford
General Manager A, Manager at The Encore, responded to this reviewResponded 5 May 2017

Hi,

Thanks for your review and your feedback. I will take these comments onboard and relay them back to our team.

There are newer reviews for The Encore

Reviewed 9 June 2014

Myself and 10 other women average age of 35 including my mum 60 and her friend of the same age were in Stratford Upon Avon for a sophisticated hen do for my sister.

We were booked into the Arden hotel which is just amazing and they couldn't do enough for us and we had the most wonderful tea and cakes mid morning on the Saturday which I highly recommend!

After a lovely evening meal out at No9 Church Street which was also fantastic and the staff were wonderful we called into The Encore for a drink before heading back to the hotel, we stood at the bar for 15 minutes and the bar staff totally ignored us and carried on serving other people. After a while one of the bar staff came across and asked if we were a hen party (my sister wearing a bride to be sash we could hardly say no.

The lady said I am sorry we do not serve hen parties you will have to leave! I have never heard anything quote so stupid in all my life. Its not like we were a bunch of rowdy teenagers and if we were to enter The Encore without a sash on my sister they would have been none the wiser.

We were going to order a couple of bottles of Verve Clique champagne or similar so their loss and we found another lovely bar who made a lot of money out of us that night.

4  Thank Ronijh11

Reviewed 8 June 2014

Myself and my husband went here for an evening drink. We didn't have food on this occasion but the menu and the food we did see and smell looked lovely, we would definitely consider eating here on our next visit to Stratford.
Inside the bar is very cosy with warm colours and soft lighting, a lovely comfortable place to enjoy a few drinks with friends or for a romantic evening. The drinks are on the expensive side (£2.90 for a shot of Sambuca!) but the service is good along with the surroundings. Ideally placed by the side of the river with a lovely outlook to one side and real fires for during the colder months.

Reviewed 2 June 2014

We popped in for a pre theatre meal, the staff were very friendly and helpful, there was a good selection of beers and ciders and we all really enjoyed our meals, reasonable prices too

Reviewed 1 June 2014

We went for Sunday lunch today & had a wonderful table upstairs by the window with an excellent view over the Bancroft Basin. Our meal was excellent & the staff were extremely efficient & pleasant. We will definitely return. Thank you.