“very good but not wowed”
Review of Othello's Bar Brasserie - CLOSED

Othello's Bar Brasserie
Price range: US$41 - US$50
Cuisines: Contemporary, British
Dining options: Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: Othello's Bar and Brasserie offers an exciting mix of modern European and traditional English dishes. Pop in for a light refreshments, a quick or an extended lunch, a relaxing drink after work or an evening out with a three course meal and good wine. Based in a town renowned for its theatre, Othello's also has a lunch meal deal for £ 6.95 and a pre-theatre menu available at £ 12.95 for 2 courses and £ 16.50 for 3 courses, including post-theatre desserts.
Bedford, United Kingdom
“very good but not wowed”
Reviewed 18 May 2014

Some original dishes on the menu ( I had a trio of rabbit & Ox cheeks) and some standard fare e.g. steak so can suit a cross section of tastes. I thought my food was very good but my wife put her steak as just ok.
Not a good atmosphere as it was nearly empty and most diners like us seemed to be staying at the hotel.

• Visited May 2014
2 Thank Ian M

Leamington Spa, United Kingdom
“Dreadful”
Reviewed 16 February 2014

Greeted by a rude waiter who clearly sees diners as an inconvenience.
We waited for over half an hour for a sandwich, omelette and salad. Given we were the only diners a poor show. Omelette was over cooked and arrived with no chips, salad was limp and sandwich stale bread. They did give us complimentary drinks but generally the food and service was really poor

• Visited February 2014
South Molton, United Kingdom
“Lovely food”
Reviewed 31 December 2013

Dinner was very nice indeed but breakfast buffet a little on the cold side. Service was excellent though.

Visited December 2013
London, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Now we know why it was empty!”
Reviewed 11 November 2013

Sheltered in the Brasserie from terrible rain at lunchtime on a Saturday and the place was deserted. Quite a number of staff around, but nobody seemed very interested in us.
My son and I had cream tea, which was ok, but we had to share a small pot of tea between us. My husband had a salad, which was fine, and my daughter had fish and chips from the children's menu which were more or less inedible. Shrivelled peas and deep fried batter with a microscopic piece of fish. She only ate the chips. Her ice cream came after a long wait and was half melted.
Definitely not value for money, service and food very hit and miss.
Could be a really nice place with some tlc.

• Visited November 2013
Honiara, Solomon Islands
“They Are All But Stomachs And We Are All But Food.”
Reviewed 25 October 2013

I was staying at The Shakespeare Hotel and on my first night had pre-theatre dinner in its Othello Restaurant. There were quite a lot of people sitting down to eat and despite being busy, the staff coped admirably with the need to get the theatre-goers served so they all could troop down to the theatre to watch David Tennant make Richard II flounce around and behave like a British Airways cabin steward.
It is a wonderful place to eat. So atmospheric. Comfortable and full of character. Worth going there just to get a feel of the place. And the food was very, very good. I started with delicious cod cheeks served beautifully. For my main course, I had a wholly delicious beef Wellington (well almost a beef Wellington - it was a magnificent piece of beef served with pastry on top of it rather than around it) and mini roast potatoes among other nicely presented titbits. I wish I had been offered some horseradish sauce or mustard but in the end the flavour of the beef stood up for itself.
A recent previous Tripadvisor commented that the food was expensive for the amount of food served but actually I found myself completely filled by what I had eaten and could not have fitted in a dessert and I thought that given the quality of the food the meal was fairly priced.
The meal was served with spot-on efficiency so that I had time to take the dog for a walk before settling her comfortably in our hotel room and heading off down the road to watch the shenanigans taking place in the court of Richard II. And it seemed fitting to quote Emilia in Othello - "They are all but stomachs and we are all but food". For a couple of hours at least, so well fed was I that I really was "All but stomach".

• Visited October 2013