“First class” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Arden Hotel

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
The Arden Hotel
Cheltenham, United Kingdom
“First class”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 March 2013

stayed at the Arden on Friday 8th March in a twin room. The decor was lovely and the room very clean. Full English breakfast in the pleasant brasserie, the staff were very pleasant and helpful. We lingered for an hour and a half, no being rushed. I would recommend this as a treat, ideally located opposite the theatre.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (249)
Hemel Hempstead
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 March 2013

We decided to visit Stratford upon Avon for our anniversary this year. I had been there as a child, but didn't remember a lot about it. The Arden was the first hotel that came up on an internet search, but after looking at others, I decided to book it.
We were not disappointed. I was amazed how close it was to the RSC, although we didn't book tickets. It was also very handy for town,and most of the attractions. The hotel was clean and comfortable,and despite the bed being a lot firmer (and bigger) than we would have chosen, we still managed to get 2 good nights sleep. The rosettes for the restaurant are well deserved. Our only difficulty was distinguishing the hot from the cold tap, and understanding the bath shower controls.
The staff were attentive and nothing was too much trouble. It was however a little bit warm in the hotel, but the weather was fairly cold, so not easy to get the balance right

2 Thank DandyHemelHempstead
Staffordshire
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 February 2013

My husband and I and my sister and her husband stayed here for one night on 24th Feb, a Sunday night special offer - If you had two courses at dinner in the hotel restaurant then breakfast was free next morning.
The hotel and grounds were beautiful, a very warm welcome from check in staff and shown to our room with the offer to take our bags. Our room ( Rowan) although small with very little room to move around freely was very clean, plenty of storage, lovely toiletries, nice bright, clean bathroom and well stocked tea/coffee/biscuits and fresh milk and water in fridge. A really nice touch.
Our room was £75, which I thought very reasonable. My sister upgraded to a £95 room (Alder) which was the same as ours but had a lot more space and a bath and walk-in shower.

We decided to eat in the restaurant on the Sunday night. What a disappointment!! food was expensive but just very average and the portions were tiny! we ordered two bowls of 'hand cut' chips as a side order, and unless they had someone out the back measuring every chip exactly the same length, there is no way they were 'hand cut' they were staight out of a McCains bag from the freezer! and burnt!! my husbands steak was mainly gristle, I had pasta and fish, it was tasteless, just very poor! The cheapest bottle of wine was £23, we opted for a bottle of £29 pinot grigio, again, it tasted like a cheap supermarket bottle for a couple of pounds!

After dinner we decided to have a walk around Stratford ( mainly to get something else to eat - :-D) on our return my sister needed something from their car, which had been parked in the on-site secure carpark, only to find someone had taken a key to it and scratched all down the side of it!
My sister and brother-in-laws car is a Ferrari! They had even enquired before booking that the car park was secure and this was one of the main reasons for booking this hotel!

They had to wait until the next morning to speak to the manager, who would look at the cctv for them. The manager gave them a blurred photo of a man looking at the car at around 3.30pm, just after they had arrived the previous day and said no-one else had been near the car after that but we arrived at the hotel after 4.00pm and the scratch was not there then as we parked behind them and walked past it! so maybe it was too much trouble to look through any more footage?? Obviously not the hotels fault but they could have been a little more helpful after the event!

We were woken at 7.30am by loud music from below us? I think we were above a function room and they must have been testing the sound equipment??

Breakfast was also very disappointing, at £20!!! each for a full English ( I had the veggie option -same price) mine was quite tasty but again the portions were tiny! There is no way we would have paid £80 for 4 small breakfasts had it not been included in the Sunday special offer!

So.... my tips for staying at this hotel:
Go to one of the many restaurants in the town for dinner.
Go to one of the many cafe's/bistro's for breakfast.
Don't go in an expensive car.
And if you wish to swing your cat, upgrade to a £95 room. ;-D lol

3 Thank marietuluse
gmardenhotel, General Manager at The Arden Hotel, responded to this review, 9 March 2013
Dear Guest

I am first of all highly dissapointed and saddened by your comments in regards to the food as you did not mention anything to me when we spoke on Monday morning when we met. As you will see from the 375 previous reviews, 99.9% of the guests are overwhelmed by the food offering at the Waterside Brasserie. To say we serve McCains chips from the freezer is untrue and very upsetting for our team of hard working chefs, who tirelessly work to offer freshly prepared food, 7 days a week, 365 days for the year. Everything we serve in the brasserie is freshly prpeared on a daily basis.

Just to add to my points above I have spoken with my front of house team who worked on Sunday evening and they confirm to me they had checked with you throughout your meal whether things were satisfactory, and which you agreed they were. These checks are part of our procedures which are carried out with all our guests who dine in the restaurant.

In regards to your guests Ferrari, you say you found a scratch on your ferrari at 11pm Sunday night. My team went out of their way to assist you that evening, but as they dont have access to CCTV for obvious reasons the Duty Manager explained that I would look at it first thing Monday morning.

I also have to say there is no proof it was done here at the Hotel.

On Monday morning from 7am, I personally spent almost four hours trawling through eight hours of CCTV and found only one person, another guest, admiring your car closely, I explained this to you in detail and you said it was not our fault and that you were grateful for my assistance and were not blaming us.

The car park is probably the most secure car park in Stratford upon avon with a barrier on entry and exit and CCTV throughout the car park, so to say it is not secure is untrue. Having a secure car park in the grounds of the hotel, within a town centre, and which is free to our residents is one of the many unique selling points the hotel has. It clearly states on several signs in the car park that you park your car in the car park and the hotel cannot take any responsibility for it.

We pride ourselves on high standards of guests satisfation and you even said to me yourself that the other hotel where your car was scratched did not do anything to assist you.

Im sorry you dont feel we assisted you enough, but as I personally oversaw the incident with my team on Monday morning I am more than happy we went out of way to assist in whetever we could do for you.

I hope this incident has not deterred you from visiting us again, and thank you for your constructive comments , of which I will make my team aware.

Thank you again.

Your sincerely

Jason Adams
GENERAL MANAGER
Berkhamsted, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 February 2013

The Arden Hotel has been upgraded (it used to have many more rooms when it was a Thistle) and it has a decent touch of luxury about it. King-sized beds, masses of pillows and you can choose whether you want feather or foam ones, generously sized bathrooms with a good shower and so on. The rooms are not large, but perfectly adequate. Service was generally good - the staff on reception were very friendly and helpful - but one minor quibble about our stay was the maid service. The shampoo and shower gel weren't replaced when empty and we had to ask for more. The tea cups weren't washed up. The complimentary fluffy bathrobe wasn't hung up. We had to ask for hand towels. All little things, but not what you would expect of a hotel of this standard. Since I overheard the Housekeeper telling our maid "This is your last chance" about another mistake she had made, it seems likely that the said maid won't be there much longer! But did these minor issues spoil our stay? No, not a bit. We'd go back, not least because it is so centrally situated, right opposite the RSC.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 February 2013

Just got back from a 2 night package break at The Arden. Cannot say enough nice things about this hotel. As soon as we checked in we were offered help with our luggage to our room. We were escorted directly to our room and shown where everything was. We asked for an ironing board and within 5 minutes it was at our door! The room had a huge bed and lovely bathroom. A good selection of tea and coffee and fresh milk in the fridge and complimentary bottled water.
We dined in the restaurant on the first night and the service was excellent! The waiters couldn't do enough for us and were very friendly. The drinks are expensive, but pretty typical prices for this type of hotel. The food is delicious and well presented.
Breakfast the next morning was great with a good choice on the cold buffet and a choice of different hot dishes cooked to order.
The hotel is in a brilliant location directly opposite the Royal Shakespeare theatre and a short stroll to the centre of Stratford. With the weather being so cold we were grateful of this, especially when we left the theatre.
We will definitely be staying here again if we return to Stratford

• Stayed February 2013
1 Thank Louisawat
London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 February 2013

We stayed here Monday to Thursday for a short break. Initial impression hotel looks good & well maintained with ample car parking, location could not be better opposite the river & Royal Shakespeare theatre.
Check in was done efficiently & courteously. We were booked for a deluxe room & were shown to Cedar - at this point we were disappointed as after reading glowing reviews on tripadvisor & the description of deluxe we expected more. The biggest disappointment was the smallness of the window & darkness of the room - where were the views that we had read about, we looked over Chapel Lane & normal buildings. The room was snug in size with a big bed, flat screen TV, tea making facilities in the wardroom & sufficient cupboard space.The bathroom was very large with a bath (no jacuzzi) & walk in shower, it was very well decorated but cold. We had to ask how to turn on towel rail & the switch was hidden in the wardrobe! The toiletteries were lovely L'Occitane but were never replenished - to be truthful after rereading reviews today we feel cheated with this room as it was not our perception of deluxe.
We had one evening meal here which was very good however the drink prices are very expensive rivalling Central London so we chose to drink out after this.
Breakfast was good -our first morning though seemed very busy & distracting with loads of business people coming in for meetings but the following mornings this did not happen so that you could have a relaxing leisurely meal. Our one niggle with the breakfast was that the grapefruit juice was a grapefruit drink & the orange juice was out of a carton poured into a jug we expect fresh juice at a hotel of this calibre.
The staff cannot be faulted in any department of this hotel as they were all friendly & professional a real asset to this hotel group.
I would like to give this hotel good rating but trip advisor dosen't provide this option, it is better than average but very good is generous.

North Yorkshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 February 2013

Our weekend stay at this hotel was a present from our 2 kids to celebrate our 40th wedding anniversary. And, what a present. The room was superb with a 7ft wide and extremely comfortable bed.
But, to start at the beginning, The reception was so easy, friendly and polite. We were escorted to our room and the offer was there to have our case brought up. We were shown over the room and all functions were well explained.
Evening meals were excellent as was breakfast, the wine was ok too!
Above all, I think, was the friendliness of the staff, all staff, and the cleanliness of the rooms. I would have to think hard to fault The Arden.
A very pleasant stay that I hope to repeat.