“Disappointing”

The Waterside Brasserie
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 11 November 2013

My first visit was good but this second visit was very disappointing indeed. The service was even worse than the first time but this time the food didn't make up for it. The starter of scallops, pork and black pudding was still good and I enjoyed it. However the main course with monkfish was not good at all. The fish was served with way too much salt and it was cooked to death. It came with chips which I sent back because they were cold and even the replacements were not fresh. A big shame as on my first visit the food was quite impressive if not the service.

Reviewed 29 October 2013

When I say "shockingly bad service" I must be clear that the Waiting Staff weren't by any means rude or offensive, they were simply not up to speed in terms of the level of service they provided, which could be improved with some basic training. Their distinct lack of experience & knowledge resulted in a frustrating dining experience since we were continually asking them for basic essentials & almost prompting them for the correct order of service & accompaniments to our meal. However, the saving grace was the food itself; faultless perfection in every way & the Chef deserves recognition & commendation. All was beautifully presented & utterly delicious, although why a bread basket is no longer offered is beyond me & really a very poor show for a Restaurant within the Eden Group. I am regretful to report that generally the standards at The Arden have declined, which is a real shame as I am a Regular here, however the standards here are much less superior than their Counterparts within the Eden Group, of which I am also a frequent Patron. In addition to the service issues, we also identified a number of areas within the Restaurant & Hotel which were/are in a considerable state of disrepair; consequently looking tired, worn & shabby. Yet again, not something you'd expect from a venue belonging to the Eden Group.

Reviewed 29 October 2013

We haven't been here for a few months, notably for no other reason than convenience & although our actual food was thoroughly delicious, beautifully presented & most satisfying, sadly the entire dining experience just wasn't what it once was, which resulted in us feeling rather deflated & somewhat disappointed. Firstly, we arrived thirty (30) minutes prior to our noon reservation, wishing to enjoy an aperitif; a glass of prosecco & a Bloody Mary were ordered as we enjoyed the comfort of the lounge adjacent to the Restaurant. Once again, the Bloody Mary here was most disappointing, since it wasn't dressed with celery; a real pet-hate of mine & whilst celery salt was used as an ingredient for flavour, the omission of the celery stick really let the presentation down. I've experienced this previously at The Arden & continually expressed my gripe, however, whilst apologies are offered, no steps have been taken to rectify! The waiting Staff were polite & efficient, although despite asking for menus which we hoped to study as we enjoyed our aperitifs, none were brought to us & by 12.05 we hadn't even been brought through to the Restaurant, although the waiting Staff were aware we had a reservation at noon. So we presented ourselves to the Restaurant, coats in hand, we were escorted to our table but were simply left standing with coats in hand & we actually had to approach the Staff to take our coats. Furthermore, we were left even longer, still without menus or the offer of another drink & ultimately had to ask for a menu!!! Whilst this may seem pedantic & petty, it really is poor attention to detail such as this which causes irritation & spoils the entire dining experience. The smoked salmon & prawn terrine with pickled cucumber was stunning & scrumptious, as was the carrot & ginger soup, although a bread basket was not offered; historically we have enjoyed a selection of olive bread, sundries tomato bread or onion bread presented in a whisker basket, yet this had been omitted from the luncheon service. However, warmed white French baguette was brought along with my soup which I declined & asked for wholemeal bread. Some five(5) minutes later some form of wholemeal granary sliced bread was presented to me which I suspected was left-overs from the breakfast sitting, particularly as it felt stale upon touch; this simply is not acceptable or good enough & really quite appalling for a venue of this calibre. The roasted pork chop was outstanding, as was the bream; all beautifully presented & utterly delicious & I reiterate, with the exception of the bread, the food was faultless & thoroughly fulfilling. The service was polite & friendly, they just missed a few tricks & fundamental basics yesterday which was a shame as it did affect our luncheon, but these blips could & should be addressed with some in-house training. So come on The Arden, raise your game please as you are a particular favourite of ours!

1  Thank Navilluso
Reviewed 21 October 2013 via mobile

Warm and friendly welcome from lovely, professional staff. Silver service with a relaxed atmosphere (wore jeans). Delicious, authentic, two-course indian dinner at a great price (just £15 including glass of wine!) Started with home-cooked pappadoms accompanied by fresh mint yoghurt dip and a chunky mango chutney, both homemade I'm assured. Followed by an enormous platter of 3 tasty sides plus choice of 3 different curries. I chose the lamb, which was spicy enough for me to handle without burning away the all the gorgeous flavours. Despite being a born and raised Stratfordian, had never thought to try the Arden hotel restaurant. Am now glad I did! Highly recommended!

2  Thank Sophie M
Reviewed 11 October 2013

I think I agree with most people about the brasserie. I think the food is quite a high standard, executed quite well and the menu uses a lot of imagination. I enjoyed my meal. However the restaurant service could and should be improved, maybe some better training as the Chefs seem to be well trained.
I enjoyed my starter of foie gras and chicken liver parfait, white wine jelly, homemade brioche and grilled pears and also the main of braised pork belly, pancetta pork fillet, black pudding tortellini served with a creamy mash. It was well presented and well cooked.

1  Thank windsorsofe