“Outstanding Visit”

Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Tamworth, United Kingdom
“Outstanding Visit”
Reviewed 15 June 2014 via mobile

I made a last minute booking for Father's day, my dad is disabled and so we drove straight into the hotel car park without realising it was for residents only. Realising my error I went to reception and explained and they advised as car park was not busy they were more than happy to let us park and so make it easier for my dad. They had a lift to help him down the stairs and we're so helpful we were automatically at ease. Had a fantastic three course meal and my dad was thrilled with his father's day gift of a bottle of speciality beer. Every member of staff we encountered was helpful and friendly and so made the whole experience a joy. We don't live locally but would definitely make the 45 minute journey just to come back and dine with them again.

1 Thank sjsph40

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Midlands
“average afternoon tea”
Reviewed 7 June 2014

this hotel is in a great location (opposite RSC) and the outside seating area would be lovely on a sunny day.
afternoon tea wasn't served at a table - sat in "comfy" chairs
service was a little slow - took a while for drinks to arrive (wine tres expensive, but then it is Stratford).
sandwich fillings had too much mayo in - soggy egg
there were too many scones - one would have been sufficient (although this may suit some??)
the cakes were ok - the "green" macaroon was very bland and tasteless.
wouldn't return for afternoon tea but would definitely return to sit outside with a nice chilled glass of wine!

1 Thank MidlandsMoaner
Cwmbran, Wales, United Kingdom
“Traditional afternoon tea”
Reviewed 3 June 2014

Booked afternoon tea here as a treat for my husband's birthday,we were seated in the coffee lounge area which was relaxing and overlooked the Swan theatre. Service was very good with friendly and accommodating staff and the hotel has a lovely ambience and is tastefully decorated. Afternoon tea consisted of a selection of finger sandwiches and various cakes and plain and fruit scones with clotted cream and jam. Lovely ! Would return to the Arden perhaps to stay overnight next time as it has a great location in the heart of the town close to the theatres.

1 Thank Karen J
South West England, United Kingdom
“Poor Cocktails...”
Reviewed 1 June 2014

Given that this is one of the better hotels in Stratford, the bar is poorly equipped to make cocktails. I ordered a Bloody Mary, a classic having checked the menu to ensure that the staple ingredients were listed. I was out for a quiet drink with my friend to celebrate a special occasion for her.

My drink came without any mention that some of the ingredients were unavailable namely the celery salt/celery. Also the balance of flavours was completely off. Far too hot and I like it spicy, but it completely overpowered any flavour. I don't think the bar-man knew how to make or taste such a cocktail and it was incredibly unsatisfactory to not be told that the ingredients (as listed in their own cocktail menu) weren't all present. I had to raise this with the waiting staff and they just shrugged. Very, very poor indeed.

Given that they have a specific cocktail menu, charge prices equal to or just slightly lower than London and Brighton and that I ordered a classic cocktail, this is not acceptable. Their cocktails are possibly one of the most disappointing experiences I have had in Stratford. I won't go again and I would advise others to go elsewhere for cocktails.

London
“Food is poor”
Reviewed 25 May 2014

So we didn't stay here but stopped for dinner and were underwhelmed by the food offered for the price.

Coming from London the four of us are used to a good range of quality and style, against price.

£20 for the duck, absolutely not worth it. Tasteless, poorly put together and certainly not fine dining. I can't speak too much for my fellow dinners but the starter of ham hock (my second choice) was massively unbalance flavourwise.

I could be wrong but to me, this seemed like a below average fine dinning restaurant playing on location and some fancy bar drinks - the wine list was also unnecessarily weak.

Plenty of places to eat in stratford. Don't waste your money here - spend it in the local eatery's preserving this beautiful town.

2 Thank Lainey080683