“Great way to spend sunday afternoon (jazz brunch)”

The Waterside Brasserie
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Great way to spend sunday afternoon (jazz brunch)”
Reviewed 18 June 2014

If you like jazz at a great location, then check out the monthly sunday jazz brunches. However, probably best to book a table, especially if it is likely to be sunny (and if you would like to be outside, but in the shade). The place was full, and a number of people appeared to be turned away. There is a varied menu from three courses to single dishes and sandwiches etc. Service was a little slow as the place was full. The staff were rushed off their feet, but still excellent. However, if you are having a drink listening to music this is no problem. The food was generally good (and risotto was excellent). Beer at 'Stratford prices', but you are paying for prime river Stratford location. There are other very good places to eat in Stratford, but difficult to beat whole package (music, location, sunshine).

• Visited May 2014
1 Thank lecturer1961

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
bromsgrove
“What do I know I am just the customer..?”
Reviewed 16 June 2014

It's not very often i feel the need to write a review about a meal i have had, but we visited the Waterside Brasserie for a treat for my dad on Fathers day…
The hotel and restaurant itself are fantastic, beautiful setting (right next to the river) with a live jazz band for Fathers day.

When we arrived we were seated at a table next to the band….No no sorry, we were seated "WITH" the Jazz band…We could not hear anything, due to the saxophonist playing not two meters away…I foolishly had the image in my mind, of Sunday afternoon in the sun, next to the River, with a few beers, nice food, cool music…
In reality we were so close that we could not hear the person sat next to you. The waiter trying to take our order had to shout…." DO YOU WANT THE SOUP..??"
For the record the band were great musicians .
I did ask the Manager if there were any other tables free, due to early stages of Tinnitus setting in…Sadly they where very busy that day, so NO…!!!
My wife tells me that i am unrealistic and fussy in the demands i make when eating out..??
One would presume when hosting a family event, you may want to offer you guests a drink..???
Maybe when they have finished that drink, you could ask them if they would like another..?? (cutting edge i know.!)
Food glorious food….!!
We will skip over the fact that there were Six people sat at the table, and they only had Five starters brought out…My Thirteen year old daughter (not only has to contend with the fact that her Father is suffering with early symptoms for Tinnitus.) Now has to contend with the fact that at this early age. She may have Alzheimers and forgot to order a starter…???

"Home made Piccalilli.?" I want to spaceman and build a Rocket to go into space…?( I'm not very good a building Rockets or going into space..) If your going to make home made Piccalilli make sure you can make…?? It looked and tasted like Fluorescent spray paint… (with pickled onions.)

The main tasted like our old friend Aunt Bessie … There is a clue in the fact that they are called roast potatoes…??? ( I think you need to roast them, rather than get them out of a frozen bag, and deep fry them..!
Once again the waiting staff failed to ask if we wanted more drinks or even if we wanted to see the dessert menu, so we didn't have pudding, we left..!!
It appears to me that this restaurant is resting on its laurels and relying on its beautiful setting to bring in the customers, however, this is all a facade, as once you are a customer, you can see beyond the looks and see how poor the quality and service really is.
It saddens me to find a beautiful Hotel, with such potential. To fail on the most basic of hospitality needs….But then again what do i know.. ??? I'm just the customer

• Visited June 2014
5 Thank Matthew G
Tamworth, United Kingdom
“Outstanding Visit”
Reviewed 15 June 2014 via mobile

I made a last minute booking for Father's day, my dad is disabled and so we drove straight into the hotel car park without realising it was for residents only. Realising my error I went to reception and explained and they advised as car park was not busy they were more than happy to let us park and so make it easier for my dad. They had a lift to help him down the stairs and we're so helpful we were automatically at ease. Had a fantastic three course meal and my dad was thrilled with his father's day gift of a bottle of speciality beer. Every member of staff we encountered was helpful and friendly and so made the whole experience a joy. We don't live locally but would definitely make the 45 minute journey just to come back and dine with them again.

1 Thank sjsph40
Midlands
“average afternoon tea”
Reviewed 7 June 2014

this hotel is in a great location (opposite RSC) and the outside seating area would be lovely on a sunny day.
afternoon tea wasn't served at a table - sat in "comfy" chairs
service was a little slow - took a while for drinks to arrive (wine tres expensive, but then it is Stratford).
sandwich fillings had too much mayo in - soggy egg
there were too many scones - one would have been sufficient (although this may suit some??)
the cakes were ok - the "green" macaroon was very bland and tasteless.
wouldn't return for afternoon tea but would definitely return to sit outside with a nice chilled glass of wine!

1 Thank MidlandsMoaner
Cwmbran, Wales, United Kingdom
“Traditional afternoon tea”
Reviewed 3 June 2014

Booked afternoon tea here as a treat for my husband's birthday,we were seated in the coffee lounge area which was relaxing and overlooked the Swan theatre. Service was very good with friendly and accommodating staff and the hotel has a lovely ambience and is tastefully decorated. Afternoon tea consisted of a selection of finger sandwiches and various cakes and plain and fruit scones with clotted cream and jam. Lovely ! Would return to the Arden perhaps to stay overnight next time as it has a great location in the heart of the town close to the theatres.

1 Thank Karen J