“Fantastic hotel with brilliant staff”
Review of The Townhouse

The Townhouse
Reviewed 10 August 2011

We stayed here for two nights for my sister's hen party. There were 16 of us in 8 rooms and it surpassed all our expectations. The hotel was in a lovely old building and was very high spec. Every room had ipod speakers and TVs. I stayed in one of the superior rooms with an en suite including a fantastic freestanding bath. On arrival we were given a voucher for the local NCP car park and this reduced the cost of our 48 hour stay greatly. On the Friday night we enjoyed the private dining experience. The food was delicious and the wine excellent. The staff were very attentive and the hotel could not have been happier to let us bring our own cake to the meal. Both mornings we were able to pick anything from the breakfast menu and this was included in our room price. The eggs benedict was lovely, the poached eggs perfect. I honestly cannot recommend The Church Street Townhouse enough and will without a doubt be returning there. Thank you so much for making my sister's hen weekend such a special occasion!

Room Tip: I stayed in Room 12, one of the Superior rooms and it was lovely, but to be honest all the rooms wer...
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled with friends

Reviewed 8 August 2011

Stayed here on a hen weekend. The staff were amazing, so helpful and attentive. The rooms were FAB. The attention to detail, like having real milk instead of UHT in the rooms, and gorgeous flapjack instead of cheap biscuits, and really nice showergel and bodycream etc. really shows the owners have thought about what you want from a hotel room, not to mention the hair straighteners in every room.....one less thing for the ladies to pack :-). I'll definately come here again, perhaps even bring hubby next time!

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 2 August 2011

Hi, We held our "Secret Wedding" reception here last week. Which meant friends stayed and we took over the Library for our Wedding breakfast.

Ali and Dani as well as the rest of the staff were fantastic. Nothing was too much trouble and they made the Library very romantic for us. Chef gave us a fab menu and the food went down very well.

Our friends enjoyed the hotel, especially the location in the old town.

We can't recommend the Town House enough.

Many Thanks to all there (especially the night porter who kept the groom and best man company the night before the wedding!)

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank Lynn_201163
Reviewed 1 August 2011

Me and my partner found this hotel on the Mr and Mrs Smith website, however we booked directly through the hotel. This was the start of a lovely break, booking was easy and Henrietta was so helpful while booking, we asked for a late check out and this did not seem to be a problem, I was even more impressed when she informed me there was no additional fee.

We walked from the Station to the hotel as it was so close it seemed silly to get a taxi. Having arrived an hour before check in, we dropped our bags off and went to explore the area. We soon found that the location was in walking distance from all the main attractions.

We were taken straight to our room and our bags were already there. We are not very easily satisfied as a couple, however, we could not fault a thing about the room! It was gorgeous (room 2). I went straight to the bathroom to check cleanliness as I am very particular, there was not even a watermark. We thought the complimentary shortbread biscuits and port on the dresser was a lovely touch and the Acqua di parma toiletries was a nice change to the normal Molton Brown or White Company products most places have.

The atmosphere in the bar is without doubt the best in all the places we had been to in Stratford Upon Avon. I can not talk highly enough of all the staff, it was astonishing to find that all the staff were so helpful and friendly.

Breakfast was delicious and we were so thankful it finished at 11am as opposed to 10am like most other hotels we have stayed at. We decided to eat at the restaurant and only wish we had more nights to eat there, it was delicious and reasonably priced. We did lunch at the Arden the next day however, it didn't quite compare to our dinner the night before.

We generally don't go back to a town once we have visited the main attractions as we like to travel around, however, Church Street Townhouse is definitely going to drag us back to Stratford Upon Avon, perhaps we will try out room 12 next time.

1  Thank ShellK7
Reviewed 29 July 2011

I stayed at this hotel in July with my wife as a 'weekend break' and we were both delighted with the hotel. The building was charming, the room was very tastefully decorated, the food in the restaurant was excellent and the bar was very vibrant with a great atmosphere. But most importantly, the staff were all helpful, courteous and extremely friendly. The overall package was excellent, and I would hapily recommend the hotel to friends, family and any traveller looking for a relaxing break with a touch of class. Do enquire when booking the rooms about the ceiling height. The building has been extended over the centuries and some of the ceilings are low, and they vary from room to room. At 6'1" I managed to crack my head a few times, until I remembered to duck!

Reviewed 22 July 2011

We had a lovely stay in june and we couldn't fault the b & b or the room , we had room 2 and it was absolutely gorgeous and well worth the £120 price tag. Location is brilliant. The only 2 negative things were the odd arrangements for ghe room cleaning; the cleaning is usually done quite discreetly but not here! We felt we were in the way when leaving our room to have breakfast and we had to walk around vacuum cleaners and over boxes of chemicals. We just thought that it could be done in a much better way . Also the cleaner came in 3 times in our room whilst we were still in there without knocking; not the best way to avoid an embarrassing moment!
But we would definitely be back as it was gorgeous and the service front of house was great.

• Stayed: June 2011
Reviewed 22 July 2011

As most other people have said this is a really lovely hotel to stay in, well designed, stylish, comfortable and in a great location.

We stayed in Room 2 which is one of their 'quiet' rooms. Which is definitely the case. However, part of this peace and quiet is because the window in the room is tiny and there's no view! It's great though as this is one of the 3 rooms with a roll top bath.

The staff were very friendly and efficient, and the piano hour in the bar was relaxing (lovely to see a proud father watching his son perform!), followed by a really lovely dinner, with excellent desserts! They are not cheap, but possibly almost worth it, which is rare. Breakfast in that lovely dining room was also delicious with as much tea, coffee and juice as needed as well as tailoring the breakfast to dietary needs. Very good morning staff, and amazing that they are so cheerful at that time of day!

Probably the only 2 negative things are that there weren't enough towels for me - I do like a towel for my hair, the hand towel wasn't big enough - but I didn't ask for another one, I am sure they would have provided had I asked - and the room did get very warm in the night under that super-thick duvet (perhaps thinner ones in the summer?). But the bed was very comfortable. Also, I could hear someone snoring in the room next door!

Oh, and the parking is good, but in case you can't work it out, the reserved places are on the right, one level up. If it's full, you won't be able to see that they are the places for the hotel! But you can park anywhere.

Overall I would strongly recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Room 2 is nice and quiet and has a roll top bath!