“fantastic place with amazing atmosphere”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of The Townhouse

The Townhouse
Harpenden, United Kingdom
“fantastic place with amazing atmosphere”
Reviewed 20 January 2012

We stayed at the Church Street Townhouse on the night of the 18th December 2011 for my husbands birthday and can not recommend it highly enough. As it was a Sunday night we were not expecting it to be busy and to perhaps even be slightly lacking in the atmosphere you would normally get on a Friday or Saturday night, but we couldn't have been more wrong - the atmosphere was electric!

The bar and restaurant were heaving from our arrival at 3pm on Sunday afternoon until we retreated to our room at around midnight and we could see why. The staff were friendly, professional and unpretentious and clearly enjoyed their place of work. We booked a table for dinner in the restaurant (a must) and the food was fantastic. The same goes for breakfast the following morning - lots of choice and absolutely delicious.

We stayed in Room 3 (which we had asked for when booking) which was large, beautifully furnished, had a lovely roll top bath and a great monsoon shower. Although no minibar (I guess there is a bar just a few steps away anyway) there were tea & coffee making facilities and a decanter of port and two mince pies left for us - a nice touch.

Overall a really fab experience and we would definitely return.

Room Tip: Room 3 is large, atmospheric and one of the 3 with a roll top bath.
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (137)
horsham
Reviewed 8 January 2012

We booked this hotel through Mr & Mrs Smith and were massively impressed.

The welcome was fantastic, the room was very clean, modern with everything you need and a few extra goodies!

We drank in the bar and had food in the restaurant. The breakfasts were great with lots of choice. The food was very nice and the £20 champagne happy hour was highly enjoyed !!

One thing to note is that there is no hotel parking but they have an arrangement with a nearby NCP to park at £4 per day, and it's 5 minutes away.

Would recommend this hotel and will do to friends who live nearby.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank bertiekerr
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 January 2012

Had improptu lunch here on New Year's Day, really lovely dining room and super Sunday lunch. Unpretentious service and overall lovely experience.

• Stayed January 2012
Manchester
Reviewed 30 December 2011

Had a lovely two night stay here over Xmas. Arrived on 24th and was upgraded from room 6 (which we had asked for) to room 5. This was a much bigger room but I would not recommend it or stay in it again as you can hear the extractor fans from the kitchen below and outside. This kept me awake for part of the night as I am a light sleeper.
The service was spot on and on Christmas Day the bar was open from 11. Although we did not have Xmas lunch there we returned to the bar at approx 5. The bar was open from 5 onwards for residents only and we had a lovely time meeting other residents and enjoying the festive spirit until the early hours.
Overall a lovely stay - it is pricey in comparison to some other hotels but the little touches are worth it for an occasion.

Room Tip: Front rooms are brighter but room 5 has extractor fan noise.
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank pilchard_9
Stroud, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 December 2011

Church street townhouse proved itself to be a lovely little hotel. Although we were only booked in for one night, the manager and staff could not have been more friendly or helpful. Our room (room 12) was large, comfortable and well equipped. Breakfast was a delight. This hotel is managed with great efficiency and charm, and deserves the highest rating.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with friends
Warwick, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 December 2011

We recently had our daughter's wedding in Stratford, and we had the good fortune of staying the following night at the Church Street Townhouse. I cannot recommend this hotel and the staff highly enough. They were quick to respond to any requests we had, and were friendly and helpful at all times.The hotel's décor is very cozy, warm and sumptuous, the room was comfortable and included free mince pies and port as it was just before Christmas. Our friends and family staying in the other rooms also had nothing but praise for the hotel. The full English breakfast the following morning was also excellent. This hotel is a real gem.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
Jersey, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 November 2011

I had the absolute please of being a guest at Church Street Townhouse; a marvellous 'boutique hotel', a description I couldn't have pitched better myself!

I stayed on the evening of 28 September 2011.

Any expectations I had were waylaid and cast away, as what I was afforded was nothing short of ten fold of what I had expected; I exaggerate not!

Staff were helpful, informative and best of all, and much to my delight, friendly!

The room I booked; if memory serves, No. 12, can be described as no more that beautiful; I especially enjoyed the port and my friend very much enjoyed the short bread biscuits; he ate them all; swine!

The evening meal I ordered myself and my friend was magnificent, and the piano was a perfect compliment; three cheers to the fellow and his talent for making music!

Breakfast was equally a delight, and after a small hesitation regarding it's inclusion in the bill, I was assured that I could 'fill my boots', or words to that affect, which made the morning all the more enjoyable!

I had travelled from Jersey, Channel Islands, to watch MacBeth at the RSC, but if truth be told, I could have quite happily stayed in No. 12 for the evening, and soaked up the opulence!

As for price; more than reasonable, especially when pitched against such a lovely memory, which I'll carry for far longer than I would have the pennies in my pocket!

I will most definitely be visiting again; this time only for an evening meal towards Christmas, as I'm visiting my family for festivities, but Church Street Townhouse has well and truly secured a new regular, even if I do live such a daunting way away!

I very rarely make such an effort to write such a compliment, so once more, many thanks for such a memorable stay Church Street Town House!

Room Tip: I booked Room Number 12... It's absolutely marvellous!
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends