“Beautiful detail and character - a complete treasure!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Townhouse

The Townhouse
Manchester
“Beautiful detail and character - a complete treasure!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 January 2013

There are so many things to like about this hotel but many more to love and to keep you returning.

The staff - Nothing was a problem or too much trouble for the engaging and knowledgable staff at the Townhouse. From the initial emails regarding parking (I hadn't even booked at this point) to the follow ups about timings and dinner reservations. There was no snobbery or forced formality (which I have encountered in some Stratford hotels), here there was a warm welcome and an immediate feeling of relaxation.

The room - We stayed in a mid-price room and it was immaculate. The careful vintage design details that mix perfectly with the modern colour palette made this room a delight to be in. The size was great, the bed was extremely comfortable and everywhere was beautifully clean. We spent more time in this room than we usually would on a trip to Stratford just because it was such a lovely environment to be in. The little touches of the small decanter of port and the homemade shortbread biscuits were delightful. The bathroom was small but perfectly formed with a brilliant double shower and lovely toiletries.

The restaurant - We've been to the restaurant many times before (it's a staple for us whenever we're in Stratford) and breakfast is included when you book into the hotel - and it was amazing! From full english breakfasts to ham and cheese croissants to everything in between, it really was delicious. The staff were once again so friendly and helpful they put you completely at ease (so much so I wanted to wander down from our room in my pjs but I didn't want to put others off their breakfast!)

The location - It's exactly where you want to be in Stratford, a 5 minutes walk from wherever you want to be and see.

I would heartily recommend this beautiful hotel and it's lovely staff to anyone visiting Stratford-upon-Avon.

• 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (136)
Salford
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 January 2013

We stayed here for our Honeymoon and could not have been happier with our choice. Even before we stayed the staff were really helpful giving us a great deal due to the special occasion. Its really easy to get to, the process of dropping bags off and picking up a parking permit for the multi-storey around the corner is genuinely very simple and not at all stressful. The carpark is 5mins walk, but as your bags have already been dropped off it doesnt really make a difference.

The location is perfect for exploring Stratford, its right in the middle of all the Shakespeare Venues and shops too. The theatres are a straight 5min walk down the road as well.

A word of warning to taller people, this is an old building and so does have some LOW beams and doorways. I'm 6-4 and I had to be mindful of where I was going, but you get used to it and its not a criticism at all.
We stayed in the top suite which was just stunning. As well as the bathroom with shower, there was a freestanding bath to relax in with a glass of the complimentary Port and/or Shortbread. The bed was huge, everything was immaculately clean and the best part was the antique furniture which gives a real cosy and homely feel.
Equally as impressive is the food, we had the best breakfasts we've ever had here and we also had a pre-theatre meal which was equally impressive. Stratford has a lot of good restaurants (just ask our waistlines!) and the Townhouse is definitely among them.

This is a Boutique Hotel and so is more expensive than most, but its worth every penny!

Room Tip: The Suite was great for a special occasion, but from what we saw all the rooms are as good
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
Leicester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 January 2013

A last minute decision to surprise my husband for our wedding anniversary. From the moment i called to book i experienced a team of staff that consistently went out of their way to assist me, Everybody was friendly, knowledgeable, and helpful. I was recommended places to visit, eat and park!
I am a big foodie and believe me i was in heaven! The rooms were superb and catered for every need. Thrilled to bits i chose this personable hotel. Well done everybody and thank you for making our weekend very memorable.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
Poole, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 January 2013

In the round, the best hotel we've stayed in for a long weekend! It is perfectly located for all that Stratford has to offer, has a great little restaurant and beautiful rooms full of Character and panache. But above all tha,t it is the quality and friendliness of the staff that really make this guesthouse excellent. They are bubbly, knowledgeable and always keen to help.
Trust me; if you are going to Stratford, stay here. I probably go away half a dozen times a year and I have never written a review on Tripadvisor before - I hope that tells you all you need to know. Enjoy :-)

Peterborough
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 January 2013

For our wedding anniversary we decided to go to Stratford upon Avon to see a play and enjoyed 2 nights at this wonderful hotel in December. The parking is obviously not ideal but this is a problem in the whole town. We parked with no problems in the multistorey and didnt use our car for the whole weekend! The room was fantastic, it looked gorgeous, had loads of space and all the little extras and details were really lovely. We stayed in room 12 which overlooked the school opposite. The bathroom was heavenly, I loved the book rack in the bath although i didn't get the chance to use it. The toiletries were fabulous (I've since ordered full sized versions!) and the tea and coffee wtc was all really high quality. I had 3 quibbles with the hotel: 1)The bed, though huge and decdently laid, was very firm 2) There were no robes! 3) The housekeeping was really slow, it was very late by the time our room was cleaned which was a little annoying as we were hoping for a lie down after a hard day shopping!
The service was extremely friendly, the breakfast, and indeed all meals, was delicious, the atmosphere was cosy and yet pleasantly bustling. Overall I would certainly recommend the hotel and we hope to go again one day.

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 December 2012

We stayed at the Church Street Townhouse for a 2 night break just before Christmas. It was featured on the Mr & Mrs Smith website so I was happy to book. We were not disappointed at all. The hotel itself mainly consists of a bar and restaurant which were warm and lively - a great atmosphere. We dined in the restaurant on the first evening and the food was really good. The room was delightful and spacious and the sherry and shortbread was a great touch. We stayed in room 5 which had a beautiful sash window and overlooked the street (delightful view), however, I was awoken at 6am by the church bells. When we mentioned this to one of the staff, they offered us a quieter room at the back. This room was also very well appointed and had a roll top bath and no bells! The staff were all great and helpful and we would definitely return if visiting Stratford Upon Avon again.

Kenilworth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 December 2012

Let me declare an interest, my son is one of several schoolboy musicians from King Edwards VI school that is situated directly oposite the Townhouse in Church Street who play the piano from 5-30 to 6-30pm Mon-Fri in the main bar. Also I must add that I have never stayed overnight. However I am here at least once a week throughout the year occasionally for a midmorning cup of coffee with a bacon sandwich and a read of the mornining papers in the lage back room and sometimes at night for dinner with family and friends and I have always been amazed at the quality and value for money of the cooking. Each and every time I visit, the young staff are polite and very efficient, the main bar and restraurant are candle lit ,the woodwork shines and the view opposite of Shakspears 15th century school and classroom at night is worth a visit alone. Last Wed 19th Dec when I parked outside the school choir was giving its all for the evening Carol service, just bliss.The Townhouse is not only centrally situated but very conveniently after 6pm there is a free car park only 50yds away. Ideally the Main bar should be be a little larger.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with family