“Just brilliant”

The Townhouse
Berkhamsted
“Just brilliant”
Reviewed 20 July 2013

We stayed for 3 nights with a group of friends on a reunion . We all just loved the hotel . Great staff , really helpful and friendly . Natalie deserved a special mention for outstanding customer service . A few of the group had run companies and we all agreed we would hire her !! Rooms were comfortable with greats beds and showers . The décor was interesting and quirky in fact the whole place was a great mix of old and new .
The location is very central but despite that it was surprisingly quiet given the heatwave meant we slept with the windows open .
The bar and restaurant have a great atmosphere . Whilst we did not eat in the hotel the food looked very good and the breakfast was one of the best I have ever had and I am an expert on the full English !!
As one of my friends said ' if I owned a hotel it would be like this ' praise indeed .

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (139)
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 11 July 2013

Without a doubt this was the best hotel that we stayed in during our recent trip to the UK. We had a fabulous corner room, one window looked directly onto William Shakespeare's school & the other opened onto a lovely street scape. The room was large, comfortable & fully equipped ( including a full size hairdryer which you don't get everywhere !)
The bathroom was beautifully appointed including a full size bath. The Friday night champagne happy hour & entertainment was just fabulous & definitely the highlight of our stay.
The restaurant was superb - we had an excellent pre-theatre dinner on the Saturday night. Breakfast is a must do.
The staff were just terrific & the overall atmosphere was the best that we came across during our 3 weeks in the UK!
A big thank you to everyone at The Church Street Townhouses for providing outstanding service & making us feel so welcome.
Keep up the good work !

Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
manchester
Reviewed 5 July 2013

we stayed here for a couple of nights and stayed in room 12 and 10 - both gorgeous rooms, room 12 had a lovey deep bath (with candles, book and wine glass holder)! the beds were very comfy and the rooms were a great size.
We decided to take advantage of the 'Friday champagne happy hour' with our pre-theater dinner - we would definitely recommend this. ;-)
The hotel had a great atmosphere, live music both nights we stayed, the bar was quite busy both nights too. Breakfast was delicious, and the staff were very friendly. The car park was about 10mins walk away and was only £4.20 for 24 hours, or its free parking just outside the hotel from 6pm to 8am.
Would recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: splash out and go for a luxury room
Reviewed 3 July 2013

My husband and I stayed here for three nights over the weekend and had a fabulous time. We had a very friendly welcome when we arrived and were shown to our room at the top of the house away from the bar as we had requested. The room, whilst quite small, was furnished well and was very comfortable and luxurious.
The staff were fab. Nothing was too much trouble; they were young, enthusiastic and very friendly. It was particularly lovely that they remembered simple things like how we liked our coffee for breakfast without us having to remind them. It felt like they really took an interest in us and wanted us to have a great stay.
The food was first rate. The breakfast was delicious and we enjoyed the dinner so much we ate there two of the three nights we were in Stratford.
The live music on Sunday night is definitely worth a listen, there was a great atmosphere in the bar and the band were brilliant.
All in all, a fantastic stay and no complaints. We would definitely recommend the hotel and wouldn’t hesitate to book again if we were in the area.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room at the top of the house if you want to avoid noise from the bar
London
Reviewed 2 July 2013

It is very hard for me to review this hotel. There are so many good things about it, but I can not rate it higher due to a number of other factors. I really wanted to like it more than I did, but overall I was disappointed.

On the plus side, the bedrooms and bathrooms are furnished really well. The beds are big and very comfy and the toiletries are fab. The port and the homemade shortbreads are a lovely touch. For the most part the service is good and friendly, but on occasion was also surly and slow.

The location is very good.

Sadly….

When I was shown to my room, nothing was explained to me and I had to ask about everything. I then realised that there was no bathroom and had to hunt for it. It turned out that it was down the 'corridor' a bit. For a while I thought this was a shared bathroom because there were so many doors in leading off this corridor. It turned out that the entrance to our 'room' wasn't the one directly in to the bedroom, but the one that led you in to the baking hot corridor with all the doors. It would have been good (especially for a 4 star Mr & Mrs Smith) hotel to have this kind of thing explained to you. This is basic customer service and so wasn't a good start.

Firstly, we were in room 4 which is not only above the kitchen but overlooks the service yard. This meant that the room was boiling and for some reason hot air was pumping in to the corridor outside. When you opened the window you got the noise of the kitchen and the people outside. Don't get me wrong, I know kitchens are noisy and frantic places and this is fine up to a point, but not when they are throwing their glass recycling in to the bins at gone midnight.

When my husband complained about the noise and heat to the General Manager, he did, to his credit, offer to knock some (quite a bit) money off the room rate (which made up for it slightly) and moved us to another room the next day. He apologised and said that the noise would did down now that the kitchen had closed. It did eventually, but not until late, lots of very noisy staff. I normally wouldn't mind, but once you are past midnight and knowing guests are staying directly above you, a little more decorum would have been good.

Unfortunately, the room we moved to was directly above room 4. The noise was still there (again very late) but at least it was a little cooler and we didn't have to overlook the service yard when we opened the window - because it was too high so couldn't see out!

I think Mr & Mrs Smith may need to go back and stay in rooms 4 and 9, then they may reassess. Either that or the hotel needs to revise it prices and do something about their service yard and talk to their kitchen staff. £140 for a very noisy, very hot room with a view of a service yard is very steep. The price I paid after the General Manager knocked some money of was closer to the right price.

A real shame, I wished I could have given it a higher rating because of its good points, but the bad ones sadly outweighed them too much.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms 4 and 9 - unless the dramatically reduce their prices.
2 Thank Jessiclees
Launceston, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 June 2013

Stayed for 2 nights as part of a special birthday treat for my wife. Everything about our stay was excellent. The staff were extremely helpful and very friendly. The room was very impressive, quite luxurious with lots of old beams to add to the atmosphere. The breakfast menu was extensive and the quality of the food excellent. I can recommend the smoked salmon omelette. I was slightly concerned about car parking before the visit, as the hotel does not have a car park. I needn't have worried the arrangement that the hotel has with a neighbouring NCP carpark worked flawlessly and cheaply.
One word of caution though.If you book pre-theatre dinner on a Friday evening leave plenty of time, the hotel has a cheap champagne offer on a Friday that attracts a lot of customers and therefore service is slower than normal.

Room Tip: Room 103 was brilliant.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
Altrincham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 June 2013

Stayed here for one night on a Sunday! Everything was perfect from walking through the door.

For the staff - nothing was too much trouble from taking bags to the room to directions to the local restaurant. We decided not to eat here because we had eaten similar food the night before. But it sure looked great coming out and the atmosphere was amazing. There was live music too playing when we arrived back and all the other guests were enjoying it too - we didn't get to bed until about 1am.

The room was small but stunning - the complimentary port and shortcake were an added bonus along with bottled water and fresh milk in a small fridge!

Breakfast was also amazing and no one complained or rolled their eyeballs when I started free styling off the menu!!

Will definitely go back very very soon!

Thanks to the staff for a very short but amazing stay!

• Stayed June 2013