“Charming establishment with very friendly vibe”
Review of The Townhouse

The Townhouse
Guildford, United Kingdom
“Charming establishment with very friendly vibe”
Reviewed 16 September 2013

Stayed he last night for first time. Lovely decor, great central location. The most striking thing was e friendliness of all the staff, cleaner up.... Everyone greated you with a smile and a hello, really notable. Stratford is one of those places where the business keeps coming however good or bad you are due to being a tourist hot spot, so to see someone making the extra effort is great news....

Lovely room, well equipped. Good range of toiletries for a guest house, everything was clean too.
Meal was very good, again great staff, some we noticeably very warming. Running a business myself I know this has to feed from the top down, this is no coincidence.
Will definitely return, in fact we have already booked.

Well done everyone at Church Street, you have something special going on.

Room Tip: Higher up the guest house the better as being in a central town location you do get a fair amount of...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (142)
london
Reviewed 16 September 2013

Just returned from a 1 night stay for work - and have already rebooked for my next trip in Feb.

Church Street has an amzing feel and atmosphere to it - the style and design is funky yet comfortable and there was a great mix of customers during our stay.

The rooms were small but perfectly formed - amazing attention to detail with fresh milk, filter coffee and toiletries in the rooms - plus I LOVED the crown toilet roll holder and soap holder, linking to the Logo of the Hotel - great little detail there.

Food was also superb and I really cannot recommend this place highly enough - I am so glad that I found you! It will give me something to look forward to on my work trips to Birmingham..

Room Tip: Avoid Room 4 - as I think this is above the courtyard where people smoke, we had room 9 and could he...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank designmatt
Nottingham
Reviewed 30 August 2013

My husband and I stayed here for two nights for our anniversary and really enjoyed it! The hotel is gorgeous- if you're looking for a luxury boutique hotel with laid-back atmosphere, this is for you!

Our room was beautiful- really spacious with a king sized bed and lovely little touches like port and shortbread! The reception area also has a dvd collection, which we enjoyed. The bathroom was very grand- roll top bath and great shower. We did have one problem- the cleaning staff moved our bath away from the wall, and as a result, water poured out all over the floor, flooding the room. We were a little disappointed with how the staff handled it- they weren't at all apologetic, and didn't even let us know when it was fixed. They just never mentioned again.

We both had a fantastic breakfast, and loved our drinks in the bar on the Friday night. This hotel also sits in a great location, just a few minutes walk from the RSC.

Overall, we had a lovely stay, and would recommend.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Claudia L
London
Reviewed 27 August 2013

My partner and I spent a couple of nights here recently. We were with a one year old baby which can sometimes make you feel unwelcome, however, everyone at the Townhouse was lovely and super helpful. What was particularly good is that we were able to sit downstairs in the restaurant with baby monitor and enjoy dinner.

Rooms are a little 'chintzy' but still nice, the building itself is lovely and the location is excellent.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
shrewsbury
Reviewed 22 August 2013

I called in at the Church Street Town House for a mid morning coffee and cake break on Wednesday 21 August. When I asked what cakes they had the gentleman serving me said they don't usually serve food until 12 o'clock. He did offer to try and see if anything was available but I now felt uncomfortable (I was on my own) and didn't want to make a fuss! I knew they advertised food all day on a board outside and morning coffee is mention, so I was a little confused! According to the website breakfast is served until 11am, afternoon teas (including cake) from 11am and the main menu 11am-10pm so I'm not sure where I went wrong? It was such a shame as one reason for going was to 'check it out' for an evening meal the same day - sadly I felt put off! On a positive note the place was lovely and the menu sounded good.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank jessicashrewsbury
Lincolshire
Reviewed 10 August 2013

We chose this hotel after using TripAdvisor to research, so thank you to previous reviewers! It was simply lovely. All of the staff were friendly and professional, the room was gorgeous, food delicious and the the location was perfect! The view from our window was Shakespeare's school! How amazing is that! The extra touches in the room really made it feel special; the decanter of port, the yummy shortbread, the ceramic straighteners so I could leave mine at home! All in all, it was super.
As a slight footnote I would suggest that maybe some voile at the windows would be appropriate! The room we stayed in, whilst beautifully decorated had very dark, heavy curtains which you don't always want to use in the daytime, and I know from experience that despite being on the first floor, we could be seen from the street level. But this is a minor point and one that in no way spoilt our stay.
We shall definitely return.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 7 which was lovely if a little on the small side (I'm guessing they're all...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Sara D
Chester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 August 2013

Hotel is in an excellent location, room was spacious with excellent facilities. Staff were very friendly and helpful. Lovely breakfast, a gem of a place, really enjoyed our stay and would definitely return.

• Stayed August 2013