A group of 5 of us booked a golf weekend via a tour operator for this hotel to include, 2 rounds, 1 night, dinner, bed and breakfast....£110 each, fanta
stic value when you consider that this place is absolutely top quality and the golf course in great condition for April and although it looks straightforward it has plenty to catch you out !
Firstly the golf course...the club house is quite new, great bar/lounge area and a large, well-stocked pro-shop. Plenty of practice facilities outside including a large driving range. Even though it had been a bit damp the fairways were in great condition and winter rules meant a clean&place. The greens were lightning quick but well tended. There was a half-way house serving tea/coffee/sandwiches/cakes/choc etc..this was open both on the Sunday and the Monday we played. I played much better on the 2nd day when i had more idea of pins , distances etc.. Some great holes, Par70 but all the Par3's are long... 17th teeing off across the lake in a showery squall with the hotel as a backdrop was a great memory !
There is a course marshall who gives some good advice before you tee-off if you havent played this course before.
After our first round we retired to the club house bar for a couple and then drove up the adjacent track (not public so you can have 2 or 3 beers) to the hotel which has a magnificent frontage overlooking gardens, countryside and the 17th tee !
The Hotel is fantastic, from the moment you walk into the hall with the enormous lounge on the left with roaring log fires it is simply one of the best available not just for a golfing weekend but any kind of weekend away as there is an attached Spa which is also one of the best i have come across. Since there were 5 of us we had booked one of the 3-bed apartments at the back of the hotel, these were great, 3 double bedrooms (1 ensuite), bathroom, kitchen, lounge, dining room, all decorated to a high standard and quality fittings, much better than being in a regular hotel room. We went to the Spa and enjoyed a huge range of facilities, but we did have to walk outside to get to the Spa from our room as there is no internal link door/corridor (note to management !) .
After the Spa we had a great meal in the restaurant overlooking the formal garden and the sun setting on the Warwickshire countryside, simply stunning. The food was excellent, many choices and bearing in mind this was part of our deal the quaity was fanastic for a Table d'Hote menu. The beef simply crumbled into a tasty gravy... Good wine list, the £22 Cotes du Rhone was very good.
Replete with full bellies we retired to the lounge and the squashy sofas in front of the log fire, great end to the day.
The following day after a huge breakfast, you name it, it was available, we checked out and drove down the lane to the club and were able to get off quickly from the first and had a good round in good weather. Had a quick lunch in the clubhouse before we left, cup of tea was £2 (!), and a very average (dry) ham sandwich was £5.50...the only negative of the entire weekend really, but not enough to ruin it one bit.
We are already looking forwward to coming back, we are a geographically-dispersed family so this location in the middle of the country is ideal, real hidden gem if ever there was one !
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Hallmark Hotel The Welcombe is a calendar country house located on the edge of Stratford-upon-Avon and the beautiful Cotswolds. It's a calendar house because it has 7 entrances, 12 fireplaces, 52 chimneys and 365 windows. Perfectly located within walking distance of Stratford-upon-Avon yet not far from the A46 and M40 motorway, this oasis has ample free parking on site. There's also 78 comfy bedrooms and 7 spacious apartments for groups of friends looking for a relaxing retreat, a wonderful spa with hydropool, an 18-hole championship golf course and acres of landscaped gardens which make for picture perfect wedding memories. Of course, if indulgence is on the menu, you can't go wrong with the award-winning menu, a classic combination of great British produce and seasonal specialities crafted with charm and innovation. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Superbreak UK, Ctrip TA, Odigeo, Expedia, Hotels.com, HotelsClick, Ebookers, HotelQuickly and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your Hallmark Hotel The Welcombe reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Menzies Welcombe Hotel And Golf Course
- Menzies Welcombe Hotel Course