“Excellent hotel in a lovely location.”

Hallmark Hotel The Welcombe
Reviewed 8 October 2012

We have just returned from a two night break which included breakfast on each morning and dinner on one night. First thing you come across is how immaculate the grounds are kept as well as the picturesque golf course. The hotel is a beautiful country house which is also immaculate with great views. Our room was an executive double in the main house which I would recommend over the standards which I believe are in the new wing. The room was spotless and the decor very tasteful. Good quality throughout and a 27" iMac which is the tv, computer, radio and DVD player in one. Pretty impressive. The only negative was the shower which didn't have much pressure. We walked into Stratford both days along the river which only takes about 20 mins and is a very pleasant walk. Stratford is a charming place with plenty of historic ineterest, shops, restaurants and bars, so all bases covered. We had dinner in the hotel restaurant on our last night and it was superb. All three courses were absolutely delicious and the service was first class. Breafast is also served in the restaurant and provided the largest selection of choices we'd ever come across. Every taste was covered and you just helped yourself. We didn't need to worry about lunch after having the breakfasts! We had a lovely time and would recommend this hotel to anyone and are looking forward to coming back some time.

Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (2,162)

Reviewed 7 October 2012

Stayed at this hotel on a special offer via Secret Escapes. Had an amazing time, the hotel and the settings/gardens are absolutely stunning. Staff were very friendly and attentive. The evening meal was OK , not spectatular but made up for by the quality and the selection of food available at the breakfast buffet the next day.
Paid a visit to the spa, which was hugely enjoyable and not too crowded. Same could be said of the entire hotel which while being fully booked and having weddings going on didnt seem to be packed out.
Really enjoyed it, a special trip and would definitely return.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank sharonkitty72
Reviewed 5 October 2012

I stayed at this lovely hotel, with a group of people, on an organised weekend coach break.
Absolutely fantastic!
We were warmly welcomed, The room was very clean & comfortable. The food very good (Wine rather pricey at £8.00 per glass! - but we are used to Northern prices! ;)
A huge choice for breakfast, from fruit smoothies to traditional full english. Buffet style.
Lovely grounds & views from the dining room.
Efficient , friendly staff.
We paid an all-in-one price for the weekend, including travel, so I couldnt comment on the Hotel price individually.
There was a wedding taking place while we were there, and it looked stunning, what a venue for a special day.
I would recommend this hotel.
(my only grumble would be the noisy shower/plumbing. We were woken by next-doors shower at 6.30 am, also very little sound-proofing in our room)
Otherwise all good.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 4 October 2012

A really nice business and romantic venue, with great dinner and a superb setting.

It is very close to Stratford, being a five minute taxi ride to the centre.

Thoroughly recommend this hotel.

I have stayed twice now, both times on business, in rooms that are well equipped, but not overly luxurious.
However, it makes up for this with it's delightful communal areas, very nice and helpful staff and lovely dining room for breakfast and evening meal.

Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 26 September 2012

This hotel was absolutely amazing, the staff was very helpful and friendly. The room we stayed in was amazing and very comfortable. The leisure facilities were excellent, the outside spa was truly the best expericence I have ever had of a outside pool. The Gardens were beautiful to look at during our stay also the golf course was gorgeous. The breakfast in the morning had a very good variety to choose from and it was very nice. The Hotel is a 5 minute drive into Stratford Upon Avon Town and a 20 minute walk.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Emma R
Reviewed 24 September 2012

Thank you so much to Louise and Ben for making this Saturday evening run so smoothly. I had really positive feedback about how wonderful the hotel is from many of the 30 odd couples that stayed. Our 20th birthday celebrations went without a hitch. The meal, lunchtime sandwiches and breakfast were all great. We had fantastic weather too! Thank you again to all the team

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Claire F
welgf, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel The Welcombe, responded to this reviewResponded 28 September 2012

It was a pleasure !
Thankyou for the kind words which have been passed on to the team
Kind regards
Greg

Reviewed 16 September 2012

Be careful when you book, I stated clearly over the phone I wanted a twin room for two people which they said "two twins?" I corrected them and foolishly didn't check the confirmation until a few days before we were due and they had booked two twins despite not clicking that we were booking on the spa package deal and only booked two people for treatments. They tried to insist, when I called to rectify, that I had booked two rooms but were polite enough.

My friend and I booked this hotel for one night and, like most visitors, were extremely impressed with the gardens, location and hotel. We booked the spa package deal (which is cheaper than an Alton Towers package - I'm using this as a comparison for a reason)

We enjoyed the spa facilities, pool, jacuzzi, and changing rooms were all really nice.

The average rating is the lunch on offer at the spa is limited, especially for veggies, and some lettuce, a tomato and a bit of goats cheese is not worth over £10. The Spa treatments did not last 25 mins and my friend wasn't overly impressed with her short treatment which didn't include everything mine did and cream kept being put up her nose...

There is also the décor which is very 1970s and average but like everything else we wouldn't comment on if it weren't for the dinner issue. Whilst looking through the hotel booklet in the room I noticed there was a dress code (i assume because the restaurant was 2 rosettes?). It stated smart casual but strictly no jeans or trainers. I didn't think to pack anything smarter than dark jeans as I was there for a spa deal and with a friend not a partner. I called reception to state that we both had only brought jeans and besides it being assumed I was enquiring for 'myself or the gentleman' I was told that they would have to 'check with the restaurant manager!!' A call back shortly after and I was told 'It is ok this once on this occasion'!!!!

What!!?? Alton towers is cheaper, the hotel offers spa packages -which are generally reserved for female friends who aren't going to wear dresses for each other, and hotels are supposed to make you feel welcome not like trash!

Furthermore there were a number of others who had done just the same as us. The Veggie offering for the menu that was inclusive of the spa package price was Risotto or we could pay more and go for the veggie option on the main menu....which was Risotto...inventive stuff for two rosettes. We went for the Risotto that was included in the package, which was bland...not sure if the more expensive version would have been nicer.

Staff were hit and miss. Some were friendly, some were arrogant.

If you are more about airs and graces visit here or to the hotel - perhaps inform people of this dress code on booking...or in the confirmation....or on arrival?

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Honest09Bath

Sorry about the error with your reservation but I am glad this was resolved prior to your arrival and I do apologise about the poor lunch offering in the Spa - we have discussed this recently and have changed the menu items to ensure a higher standard.
I do also apologise for the mis-information regarding jeans in the restaurant - this has been left to ensure that we do have a smart casual dress in the restaurant but we have recently found that some jeans can be very smart and therefore relaxed this ruling. We will change the wording.
Kind regards