“That little bit of luxury”

Hallmark Hotel The Welcombe
Reviewed 15 February 2013

We arrived for a much needed break following a period of hard grinding work and were made to feel instantly at home. Our room was not quite ready, so we were ushered into the oak panelled lounge and offered complimentary drinks while we waited the ten minutes for the room to be finished. The large log fire burned brightly, warm and welcoming...

We were informed as soon as the room was ready and got there to find all of our luggage had been already delivered to the room. The room was large, scrupulously clean and very comfortable.

The evening meal and the breakfast were a joy - great food, great surroundings, great service and that warm ambience you get from quiet, happy conversations. The staff were attentive and the food arrived perfectly cooked, and perfectly timed.

The hotel location and its gardens are amazing...

I would not hesitate to recommend this hotel to people wanting that little touch of luxury... not cheap but worth every penny!

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Hallmark Hotel The Welcombe

Reviewed 11 February 2013

I had a really enjoyable stay at the Welcombe hotel at Stratford. The staff at reception and in the restaurant could not have been more helpful. Tom and Leiticea and everyone at breakfast made me very welcome. The spa and the beautiful surrounding countryside made this a great holiday.

Tricia Hamilton

Room Tip: Go for a room with view and four poster....excellent!
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 10 February 2013

Had a two night break at the hotel while visiting Stratford on Avon..Beautiful building- with log fires. comfortable sofas etc. Food of a very high standard The service was terrific.One of the best hotels we have stayed at.
The Spa is very good with lots of facilities.

Room Tip: We stayed in a basic room which was excellent
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank houstonhertford
Reviewed 9 February 2013 via mobile

Our 8th stay and cannot wait to visit again and thank you Claire for remembering us from our last visit. Staff are always so very welcoming and helpful could not ask for more this is just a special place to visit and relax.

• Stayed: February 2013
Reviewed 9 February 2013 via mobile

Myself and My Partner stayed at the Welcombe last night for our anniversary in the Hathaway Suite.
We could not fault a thing, the Suite was stunning with original character and had everything we needed. It really made our Anniversary something else.
We took time out to use the spa facilities and once again we were amazed by the brilliance of the place.
Breakfast was well layed out and the selection would suit every tastebud.
In the Morning we had a show round of all the events and conference rooms, the standard rooms and of course the Countess Suite.
The hotel is amazing at every angle and is suitable for every pocket to enjoy.
Perfect place for a country estate wedding or conference with being of close distance to Stratford-upon-avon town centre.
Will be visiting again in the near future and will recommend to all clients and relitives.

• Stayed: February 2013
Reviewed 8 February 2013

had a fab overnight stay here after booking that morning via laterooms.com. great staff great surrounding and the spa facilities were wonderful. if I had 2 complain at all it wud be that we were woken early by a rather noisy delivery but that's no fault of the staff I suppose. great location just a quick drive into the heart of Stratford would highly recommend this place

• Stayed: January 2013
1  Thank sarahlheath
Reviewed 8 February 2013

I had a £205.00 spa day for a Christmas gift, rather than go on my own I invited my mother to join me, she booked individual treatments as they did not have a package that suited what she required. At time of booking I advised we would have to have lunch together. On arriving we found that at no point during the day would we have time for lunch together, I was advised they would look in to sorting which we accepted. We were then given a dressing gown and towel and shown around. All seemed good, however, the whole point of a spa day is to feel spoilt and I did not feel that at all, the reception area where we would have lunch was cold and not very comfortable, not exactly relaxing but OK, it is far from the standards I have experienced in other hotels and spas all over the world.

My mother was given a dressing gown of poor quality very tatty which did not fit, too small and showed the top of her legs which was not acceptable, I asked for a bigger dressing gown, the one that was then provided was just as bad if not worse from the first one, it also had dust all over it as if it had been dragged around the floor, when I complained again they advised that there was one size only, by this point my mother was so distressed and felt very self conscious being sat on a not very comfortable sofa in the area where we had to wait for the treatments, flashing her knickers as it were. My Mother was so upset she decided to leave she was inconsolable at the fact that apparently she was oversized for the one size dressing gowns, which obviously did not make her feel special, I might add that my mother is a size 20, a number of her friends who are larger have had spa days at other hotels and did not suffer the humiliation of being given a gown too small. I might also add the towels are very tired and not at all fluffy.

The treatments were good but there was a great lack of feeling special, my lunch was awful I had what was supposed to be confit duck salad, very poor about 5 bits of meat very tiny amounts with salad leaves a sprinkling of carrot and half a tomato very disappointed.

I will never go back for spa treatments again, I will stick to going to the Alveston Manor which is far more relaxed and friendly with a room that you can actually relax in between treatments.

Emily a very disappointing experience.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled solo
4  Thank Emily R
welgf, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel The Welcombe, responded to this reviewResponded 19 February 2013

Emily I am truely sorry that neither yourself or your Mother enjoyed the Welcombe Spa as this is truely an asset to the hotel and the area - as can be seen by other tripadvisor reviews. Clearly if you had treatments at opposing times then having lunch together would be difficult and I assume we tried to change some treatment times for you ?
Whilst I would accept our robes are not brand new they are of a very good quality but do come in one size but we are now sourcing a few larger robes to ensure your Mothers predicament is not repeated - on discussing this with the Spa manager it would appear that many larger women do tend to bring their own robe. In all of the 7 years that the Spa has been open we have not had this situation before but will clearly look to rectify the robe provision.
I find it strange that you have written such a review when my Head Therapist had contacted you to apologise and also offered you both another Spa Day with our compliments ( and larger robes ) - perhaps it is because we refused to refund you.
Regards