I stayed here years ago when travelling to Stratford and I have always wanted to go back because I have such nice memories of the place so when me and my wife needed to travel to the Midlands on business I took advantage of the opportunity to book in for one night.
The building and the grounds are still breathtaking and the addition of the spar does not spoil this at all, my wife who had not been before was really impressed. The inside of the hotel, especially the main lounge with the big fireplace are stunning and the rooms are really good, the apple TV / computer is a really nice touch.
My wife went to the spa and she loved it, I didn't go (no bathing clothes) but she was really impressed. Dinner in the main restaurant was great with excellent food and service in a romantic setting just as I remembered it.
The only gripe I have is the service in the main lounge of the hotel, this seems a bit of a no mans land between the bar and the restaurant. This room is stunning with a huge open fireplace, we grabbed a place by the fire to enjoy a drink before we went to dinner, we waited for 10 minutes and no one came to take our order even though waiting staff were coming and going from the restaurant. In the end after trying to catch the eye of speeding waitresses we gave up and went to dinner, where the service was excellent. After dinner we tried again with no success and in the end got up and went into the bar, which is another lovely room and found the service to be great in the there. That big lounge is a real asset to the hotel but the staff don't seem to know whose service area it falls into so you get ignored by both. This is not a major gripe but if the management could sort this out with a little training and alignment of duties this hotel would go from extremely good to outstanding, this is not a new problem because it was the same when I stopped here years ago.
Breakfast was amazing, 3 types of eggs, 2 types of sausage and bacon etc all fresh and piping hot and check out was a little slow because everyone was trying to check out together but I was not in a hurry so no problem for me
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Country House Luxury Hotel with spa and golf resort set in fantastic grounds with Italian Gardens and views over the Welcombe Hills. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Priceline, Odigeo and Superbreak UK so you can book your Hallmark Hotel The Welcombe reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Menzies Welcombe Hotel And Golf Course
- Menzies Welcombe Hotel Course