“luxury weekend retreat.”

Hallmark Hotel The Welcombe
Nottingham, United Kingdom
“luxury weekend retreat.”
Reviewed 30 November 2013

great grounds to walk around fantastic little spa, very friendly staff, clean rooms with the apple tech, great golf course for those that choose to use it overall 5* weekend
this was our first weekend away after getting married in the summer and we could not have picked a nicer place we would recommend this place to all our family and friends.

Room Tip: we were given out room on the day over looking the gardens which gave a nice morning view
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (471)
  • Korean first
Cwmbran, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 November 2013

After being booked in myself and my partner made our way to our room, only to find other peoples belongings in there! As you can imagine it was a bit of a shock, but thankfully after telling the receptionist she upgraded us to the finest suite available! I thoroughly recommend the countess suite, it is beautiful! In fact im posting this review on the 27" Imac thats included in the room!
However i must agree with other guests i have found a bit of a pretencious atmosphere, and i do find the staff quite unapprochable. The resaurantt is lovely with soft music playing lightly in the backround and the food was delicious. All in all i would recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: The suites are well worth the extra money.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
welgf, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel The Welcombe, responded to this review, 29 November 2013
Thank you for the review and please accept my apologies for the error in allocating your room , the occupants had just changed rooms and this hadn't quite been completed in the system when you arrived - hopefully the Countees Suite made up for this.
I am sorry you found some of my team pretentious / unapproachable we do train them to be as forthcoming , friendly and helpful as possible but we will try harder !
Thanks again
Hambledon, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 November 2013 via mobile

Gorgeous setting and the inside looks suitably fabulous, especially the roaring fire (although not sure why it was lit during the day & allowed to go out in the evening!). But - very off putting to get to my room and find one of my supposedly fresh set of hand towels had a big toothpaste smear in the centre. Did rather make me worry about the level of cleanliness in the rest of the room. The staff were very quick to bring a new set when I let them know but it's a shame they let themselves down on something so fundamental to the hotel business.

Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Janetyjanet
Janet please accept my apologies regarding your towel this is totally accepable and has been discussed with the Head Housekeeper. With reference to the fire this should be kept going all evening but lately we have had guests comment that it has made the lounge very warm - my answer is normally to open a window but clearly my team let the fire burn down sorry.
Lincolnshire, Uk
Reviewed 14 November 2013 via mobile

We treated ourselves to a 3 day break for our wedding anniversary having decided a country hotel with spa would be ideal. The Welcombe hotel was everything and more that we wanted and the spa is the best we have ever been to by far.
We had imagined reading our books with a pot of coffee by a log fire, ticked, we had hoped for the history and character of a huge period house, ticked and we had hoped for the general feeling of being spoilt, ticked. The level of service is extremely high and all the members of staff we met were positive, courteous and skilled with nothing being too much trouble.
We eat in the dining room each evening and thought the food was very good and the service worthy of any five star restaurant. On the first morning our breakfast was served by order at the table but the following two days we had the buffet service. We found the breakfast food to be of the same high standard each day but did prefer the waitress service as conference and day guests were gathering in the same area as the buffet food.
We enjoyed the spa facilities each day, staying in there for many hours and using all the areas - excellent.
We were mystified by some of the poor reviews, particularly the 7 November and agree with the manager that surely the guest can't possibly have stayed at the same hotel as us
We shall start saving so that we can return to the Welcombe.

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Lincolnshire_UKBilly
Thank you for such a kind review and I am so glad you enjoyed your stay - we all look forward to seeing you again
Reviewed 12 November 2013

We enormously enjoyed our three night break at the Welcombe. The rooms were good, food fantastic and health spa the best that we have seen. Did not get a chance to play the golf course but it looked in good shape. Would love to go again if we get the chance. Need to go out of season as its quite pricey without special deals.

Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
Stratford-upon-Avon, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 November 2013

I have lived in Stratford for the last 21 years and always knew I would get married in the area. When my mum suggested I looked at The Welcombe I was not disappointed. Straight away I knew this was where I would get married. The hotel itself is absolutely beautiful with the grounds to match. I cannot thank Louise Harris enough for her constant support from the first day we had a wedding meeting with her up until the wedding finished. She was amazing and really supported myself and my family and i was always relaxed knowing Louise was in control of the planning.The wedding itself was fabulous, all the staff were very attentive and worked so well together to ensure the day ran smoothly. I had an image in my mind how I wanted the room to look and the staff made the wedding breakfast room look exactly how I had imagined it even down to the smallest details. The food was delicious and we had many compliments about the menu. Our photographer, Marcus and videographer, Simon were extremely well looked after by the staff. A lot of our guests stayed and were very happy with their rooms and i do believe some of our guests are planning to return to have a weekend away here. We loved everything about our magical day and fell in love with The Welcombe. We are planning to come and have afternoon tea over the Christmas period and hope to celebrate our 1 year anniversary at this beautiful hotel. I really would advise anyone who is looking to get married to visit The Welcombe it really is the perfect setting.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Morgan-Harrold
Nottingham, England
Reviewed 11 November 2013

My wife and I thoroughly enjoyed our one night spa stay at the Welcombe Hotel. From the moment I started the booking process, right through to when we left at then end of our visit, the service was first class from the whole team.
It started with the helpful lady (Becky?) who handled my telephone order of gift vouchers and ended with the front doorman who opened the day for us to leave and pleasantly wished us a nice journey home.
In between we received great service from the ladies on reception, one who kindly allowed us to stay in one of the traditional rooms in the main building after I enquired and the other who arranged for a fan and sheets to be taken to our room after I expressed concern that the room might be too warm for me overnight. (As it happened the room cooled nicely with the windows opened up!).
Finally, a special mention of thanks to Duty Manager Dan, who tried his best to find a bedroom with Sky Sports 1 reception to enable us to watch the football, but alas failed. He compensated us by not charging us for the bottle of wine we had with dinner - talking of which the food was both delicious and well presented and the table service was well worthy of the AA Rosettes awarded.
Breakfast, as others have said, is a little haphazard with the buffet items outside the dining room, but the freshly cooked hot foods were very nice.
We enjoyed the lovely spa, visited the well equipped gym and each had a massage which seemed a little short of the 30 minutes expected, but were enjoyable.
Situated just a couple of minutes literally by car from Stratford town centre, I can most definitely recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Traditional rooms have much more character