“Horrible service”

Hallmark Hotel The Welcombe
“Horrible service”
Reviewed 1 January 2014 via mobile

My friends and I were doing a road trip and decided to stay one night at Menzies hotel. We arrived there late at night around 7pm.
The check in was very slow as front desk lady could find my reservation and printer was not working. After probably 25 minutes waiting she manage to give us our 2 rooms. My room was in one new extension to the old house. It look to me like a hospital or hospice. Bedroom decoration were poor and basic. TV system was via a desktop computer.
Despite all we decided to head to the bar and have a drink.
We set down in at the bar but one waiter decide that we would pretend there were no tables or costumes to serve. At that time there was only two other table occupied. After a long wait I manage to call his attention. We asked two waters and whiskey but when asked which whiskey the had he start saying he was new there and that he was tired then he turned around saying that he was off.
I was astonished with his attitude. I felt that I was in one of those tv programme where they frame people to make fun of them.
To cut this short, I've called the manager called Victor, he seems apologetic and decided to cop our first drinks.
I really hope he address his waiter bad attitude.

Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
6 Thank Rickynaldo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (451)
  • Korean first
Telford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 December 2013

The wife's 30th birthday approaches and she wants a spa day. I book this place and we weren't disappointed. Upon arrival our check-in was quick and the Concierge was so friendly and helpful.
We went for a quick walk round the grounds (very nice indeed) and then we went off for our spa treatment. We had a 30 min neck shoulders and back massage. Twas amazing. You have full use of the facilities so we went for a swim, Jacuzzi, sauna, steam room, foot spa, the lot.
Our room was nice too, high ceilings, old furniture and an Apple Mac too for web, TV and radio. Nice touch. The whole place has that lovely old feel with wide square spiral stairs, open log fires and large lounge rooms with comfortable sofas. And decked for Christmas in a tasteful manner too.
The evening 3 course dinner was great and we left stuffed. The restaurant staff were all friendly and enthusiastic too.
We had reason to call the night manager too as our friendly neighbor had gone out and left his radio on, cranked up to the max. Now there is only so much Mariah Carey I can take. But the night manager came straight away, sorted the volume and was most apologetic. Not his fault at all but he sorted the problem out straight away.
A good night sleep in a nice bed was followed by a buffet breakfast. Two servings of course.
All in all a fabulous place to stay and I'd definitely recommend it.

Room Tip: Upgrade to an executive room
2 Thank LawrenceByle
Manchester
Reviewed 28 December 2013

Early December we decided on a few days break before the Christmas rush, and chose the "Welcombe" again, because of the comfort it affords.
The large squashy sofas, the roaring log fire and a beautiful bedroom suite - pure indulgence. It felt very Christmassy and the staff were all on the ball.
My only niggle would be with the Restaurant "under" Manager. I knew there was a few functions on that day, and the chef would be busy, but, the rest of the guest have to eat too. One late afternoon I asked for a bowl of soup and a roll to be sent to the room (I knew they had soup on 24 hour room service as it's on the children's menu), so I wasn't expecting the "under" manager to tell me the chef is busy, but he'd see if he could get someone to deal with it. Please, other guests were having sandwiches or afternoon tea's, yet I was made to feel a bother. This would not have happened with the restaurant manager or other managers from years gone by, as they always managed to accommodate with a smile, after all you are paying for the service.
The young ladies at breakfast were pleasant and helpful, always seating you at your favourite table.
Lastly, I must thank the lady who took pity on me as I started with a cold, by bringing me hot lemon and honey drinks, which were very much appreciated - that's what I call first class service, she was so pleasant and helpful.
Many thanks to the friendly concierge too, and I hope we shall see them all again soon.

3 Thank mancunian2000
Coventry, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 December 2013 via mobile

Just came back from the welcombe stayed sunday 15 th well what can I say the room was beautiful we stayed in the caroline room for 1 night dinner bed and breakfast I booked through main reception who were very polite as usual . we come back every year to this hotel for my wifes birthday and its aways a special day the hotel staff are 100 percent attentive from the door staff to chamber maids we didnt speak with greg this time but he was behind the scences as always making things perfect. to me a good review is about consistence well here's my yearly review (perfect)keep it up the welcombe hotel you truly are our favourite hotel have a great christmas mr and mrs tanner

• Stayed December 2013
3 Thank spenfin
welgf, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel The Welcombe, responded to this review, 24 December 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time to send such a great review - so glad you enjoyed your stay - keep coming back !
I will , of course , pass on your kind comments to the team
Wirral
Reviewed 19 December 2013

We stayed at the welcome for my birthday. It is a gorgeous Calendar house, very large and very welcoming.

We had dinner on my birthday evening unfortunately for us, it was only the festive set menu that was available, no a la carte. That said, the food was excellent, and we had a wonderful evening. The staff are very friendly, and helpful. The spa is lovely.

We will definitely return to the hotel in the future, and would not hesitate to recommend this hotel to others.

Overall a great birthday treat!

1 Thank karen j
Thank you for the review - I am sorry that we do reduce the menu offerering slightly during the busy times leading up to Christmas - the a la carte items are consolidated in to a choice of 6 starters & 6 main course etc
I am glad you enjoyed the food - our new Head Chef , Matt , has continued the 2 AA Rosette standard and is receiving a lot of praise.
Uckfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 December 2013

Had a lovely one night stay here. Room was lovely and comfortable and had an iMac in it, safe, iron and coffee and tea facilities. The spa was amazing. Views over golf course were lovely. Breakfast was ok but have jhad better.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Lindsey B
Thank you for the review and I am sorry you did not enjoy the breakfast - we do pride ourselves on the extent of the offering so perhaps it was the cooking ?
Please accept my apologies and I do hope this will not put you off returning to the Welcombe.
Birmingham
Reviewed 17 December 2013

For a forth year my wife and I enjoyed a two night break at Menzies Welcombe hotel & Golf course. For the first time our room was located in the extended part of the hotel and having clearly been recently upgraded was modern and well equipped. The main lounge was decorated for Christmas with two huge tree's and looked fantastic. The staff were friendly and helpful, dinner in the beautiful dinning room was superb, the service was fantastic and probably the best overall dining experience that we have had here, thanks and well done! We enjoyed treatments in the spa which were performed beautifully by a young therapist named Lauren who was friendly and professional. The Welcome and service at the Spa was however a little poor with the staff 'hanging' out at the main reception desk laughing and joking with each other, sorry guys you have fantastic facilities but I get a better welcome at my local Waitrose or Costa!! Also within the spa several forms were lying around in full view of anyone who cared to look, containing client details such as address, employment and medical details! surely this should be confidential. I was able to retrieve mine from the unmanned spa desk, with the young group at the main reception being blissfully unaware that I had taken this information. Come on guy's your letting the side down. This experience aside we had a fantastic winter spa break and look forward to returning in the new year.

1 Thank GuyBirmingham
Please accept my apologies for the lazy attitude and behaviour of the Spa staff - I can assure you this has been discussed with the Manager and Team also highlighting the poor handling of the forms - thank you for bringing this to my attention.
So glad you enjoyed your stay and in particular the dinner - look forward to seeing you in the New Year