“Fantastic stay well worth a visit”

Hallmark Hotel The Welcombe
Reviewed 5 January 2014

This hotel is absolutely incredible. We stayed for 2 nights bed and breakfast with dinner on 1 night. The spa is amazing and the staff are lovely. The doorman was friendly and approachable and nothing was too much trouble. The food was excellent and we even had the first day of a new menu. Have the fondant it was to die for! Only 1 issue the bed had a gap down the middle (like most king size beds in hotels do) but I wasn't expecting it from a Menzies hotel but apart from that it was truly brilliant!

• Stayed: January 2014
1  Thank LisaCVine
Write a ReviewReviews (2,157)

Reviewed 3 January 2014

This Hotel is fantastic. Especially in the winter with its roaring fires. Some rooms are beautiful but others very ordinary so do your home work before you go there and get one of the rooms in the main Hotel otherwise you may be dissapointed. The spa is beautiful also and the view from our room to die for. For me the only thing that lets the hotel down is the high price of coffee and food Well worth the visit and you can get fantastic offers but be careful you dont give yourself a huge bill at the end due to the cost of food and beverages
Otherwise a small piece of Heaven

Room Tip: Main building
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Dee S
Reviewed 1 January 2014 via mobile

My friends and I were doing a road trip and decided to stay one night at Menzies hotel. We arrived there late at night around 7pm.
The check in was very slow as front desk lady could find my reservation and printer was not working. After probably 25 minutes waiting she manage to give us our 2 rooms. My room was in one new extension to the old house. It look to me like a hospital or hospice. Bedroom decoration were poor and basic. TV system was via a desktop computer.
Despite all we decided to head to the bar and have a drink.
We set down in at the bar but one waiter decide that we would pretend there were no tables or costumes to serve. At that time there was only two other table occupied. After a long wait I manage to call his attention. We asked two waters and whiskey but when asked which whiskey the had he start saying he was new there and that he was tired then he turned around saying that he was off.
I was astonished with his attitude. I felt that I was in one of those tv programme where they frame people to make fun of them.
To cut this short, I've called the manager called Victor, he seems apologetic and decided to cop our first drinks.
I really hope he address his waiter bad attitude.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
6  Thank Rickynaldo
Reviewed 30 December 2013

The wife's 30th birthday approaches and she wants a spa day. I book this place and we weren't disappointed. Upon arrival our check-in was quick and the Concierge was so friendly and helpful.
We went for a quick walk round the grounds (very nice indeed) and then we went off for our spa treatment. We had a 30 min neck shoulders and back massage. Twas amazing. You have full use of the facilities so we went for a swim, Jacuzzi, sauna, steam room, foot spa, the lot.
Our room was nice too, high ceilings, old furniture and an Apple Mac too for web, TV and radio. Nice touch. The whole place has that lovely old feel with wide square spiral stairs, open log fires and large lounge rooms with comfortable sofas. And decked for Christmas in a tasteful manner too.
The evening 3 course dinner was great and we left stuffed. The restaurant staff were all friendly and enthusiastic too.
We had reason to call the night manager too as our friendly neighbor had gone out and left his radio on, cranked up to the max. Now there is only so much Mariah Carey I can take. But the night manager came straight away, sorted the volume and was most apologetic. Not his fault at all but he sorted the problem out straight away.
A good night sleep in a nice bed was followed by a buffet breakfast. Two servings of course.
All in all a fabulous place to stay and I'd definitely recommend it.

Room Tip: Upgrade to an executive room
2  Thank LawrenceByle
Reviewed 28 December 2013

Early December we decided on a few days break before the Christmas rush, and chose the "Welcombe" again, because of the comfort it affords.
The large squashy sofas, the roaring log fire and a beautiful bedroom suite - pure indulgence. It felt very Christmassy and the staff were all on the ball.
My only niggle would be with the Restaurant "under" Manager. I knew there was a few functions on that day, and the chef would be busy, but, the rest of the guest have to eat too. One late afternoon I asked for a bowl of soup and a roll to be sent to the room (I knew they had soup on 24 hour room service as it's on the children's menu), so I wasn't expecting the "under" manager to tell me the chef is busy, but he'd see if he could get someone to deal with it. Please, other guests were having sandwiches or afternoon tea's, yet I was made to feel a bother. This would not have happened with the restaurant manager or other managers from years gone by, as they always managed to accommodate with a smile, after all you are paying for the service.
The young ladies at breakfast were pleasant and helpful, always seating you at your favourite table.
Lastly, I must thank the lady who took pity on me as I started with a cold, by bringing me hot lemon and honey drinks, which were very much appreciated - that's what I call first class service, she was so pleasant and helpful.
Many thanks to the friendly concierge too, and I hope we shall see them all again soon.

3  Thank mancunian2000
Reviewed 23 December 2013 via mobile

Just came back from the welcombe stayed sunday 15 th well what can I say the room was beautiful we stayed in the caroline room for 1 night dinner bed and breakfast I booked through main reception who were very polite as usual . we come back every year to this hotel for my wifes birthday and its aways a special day the hotel staff are 100 percent attentive from the door staff to chamber maids we didnt speak with greg this time but he was behind the scences as always making things perfect. to me a good review is about consistence well here's my yearly review (perfect)keep it up the welcombe hotel you truly are our favourite hotel have a great christmas mr and mrs tanner

• Stayed: December 2013
3  Thank spenfin
welgf, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel The Welcombe, responded to this reviewResponded 24 December 2013

Thank you so much for taking the time to send such a great review - so glad you enjoyed your stay - keep coming back !
I will , of course , pass on your kind comments to the team
Kind regards
Greg

Reviewed 19 December 2013

We stayed at the welcome for my birthday. It is a gorgeous Calendar house, very large and very welcoming.

We had dinner on my birthday evening unfortunately for us, it was only the festive set menu that was available, no a la carte. That said, the food was excellent, and we had a wonderful evening. The staff are very friendly, and helpful. The spa is lovely.

We will definitely return to the hotel in the future, and would not hesitate to recommend this hotel to others.

Overall a great birthday treat!

1  Thank karen j

Thank you for the review - I am sorry that we do reduce the menu offerering slightly during the busy times leading up to Christmas - the a la carte items are consolidated in to a choice of 6 starters & 6 main course etc
I am glad you enjoyed the food - our new Head Chef , Matt , has continued the 2 AA Rosette standard and is receiving a lot of praise.
Kind regards