Hallmark Hotel The Welcombe
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
View Hotel
Best Western Grosvenor Hotel(Stratford-upon-Avon)
  • Restaurant
Travelodge Stratford Upon Avon(Stratford-upon-Avon)
  • Bar/Lounge
Payton Hotel(Stratford-upon-Avon)
Stratford Limes Hotel(Stratford-upon-Avon)
Courtland Hotel(Stratford-upon-Avon)
  • Breakfast included
  • Pool
  • Restaurant
The White Swan Hotel(Stratford-upon-Avon)
  • Breakfast included
2,225 results
All reviewsvitality poolcountess suitespa facilitiesgolf breakgreat spabeautiful hotelfour posterstately homeupgraded to a suitespa weekendroaring firesteam roomthe main hotelcream teaevening mealchanging roomsstandard room
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 19 February 2014

I don't watch Downton Abbey, but guess that the Menzies Welcome hotel has a similar look and feel. Well staffed with helpful, smart people, great leisure facilities, lovely suites and very good food. What's not to like. Set in it's own grounds, with an adjoining golf course and a 15 minute walk into Stratford Upon Avon, this is a delightful venue.

Room Tip: We booked a 2 night deal via a booking website - double room plus breakfast both mornings and evening meal one night for £169 per couple. Great value.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank LondonMikeS
Reviewed 17 February 2014

We have been here a couple of times before and have always been quite happy but we did have a suite the previous twice and this time we had an Executive Double. At first my husband thought we had been given the wrong room No. 3(not Executive) but on speaking to the Receptionist it was indeed an Executive Room but she did try and be helpful by offering a different room, only next door,No. 1. but it was slightly better. Nevertheless, there were things in this room, or lack of them, that we found to be dissappointing. There were no drawers to put our belongings so they had to be left in the case. There was a wardrobe to hang bigger items in plus a shelf at the top of the wardrobe which from the floor was approx. 7' high - could not be reached! There was no luggage rack for our suitcase and no really suitable place to put it. All in all room not well thought out and lacked basic things. Be aware also that being an old building there is much creaking from above when people are walking about. Staff in all areas were really helpful so no complaints there, but over all this visit did not inspire me to want to return soon!

Room Tip: Room 2, Clopton Suite is very good. has everything including separate living area,loads of room, walk in shower and bath etc. brilliant suite. Rooms 1 & 3 wouldnt recommend but only my personal opionion.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 February 2014 via mobile

Totally amazed that I had to wait for 20 minutes in a queue for breakfast in a 4 star hotel. They seem to only cook new items when everything has gone resulting in tons of people hungry in a queue.

Oh, and the door to our bathroom was hanging off it's hinges.

Terrible.

1  Thank SteveW001
welgf, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel The Welcombe, responded to this reviewResponded 18 February 2014

I sincerely apologise to have to wait in a queue for breakfast is unacceptable and at the Welcombe very unusual .
We do try to keep the buffet breakfast as fresh as possible and I know we were caught out recently when a large number of residents all came at once. Clearly we should have anticipated this and we have learnt from this putting in measures to ensure this doesn't happen again.
Please do not let this isolated issue put you off returning and if you can please let me know which room you were in - thank you

Reviewed 17 February 2014 via mobile

My wife and I booked a special offer B&B package which was good value at £120. The room was small but comfortable and the bathroom had clearly been refurbished fairly recently. However the window would not shut completely; we pointed this out but nothing was done. Spa was cold because an outside door was jammed open. Two lights in our room did not work. So maintenance of buildings seems to need improvement. But pleasant staff and lovely grounds so overall decent value

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your review I do hope you let my team know of the maintenance issues so that we could rectify them. I am so sorry the doors were left open to the Spa I have had a team meeting this week to make the whole team in the Spa that it is important to check such details especially with the weather we're having !
Glad you felt your stay was good value and I hope you will return.

Reviewed 16 February 2014

We have been to the Welcombe on many occasions, both as a couple and with other friends. The regular revisits reflect great previous experiences at the hotel. Sadly, this time, standards seem to have slipped. The rooms were unchanged but the hotel seem to have succumbed to the lure of profits from hen parties and weddings and the quality of the staff, food and service now unfortunately reflects that. On our previous visit, 18 months ago, the food in the hotel restaurant was delicious and our waitress well versed in the wine menu and more than capable of recommending a nice wine to go with our food. On our recent visit, the food was very average and, at at our 8.30 sitting, several of the dishes were already unavailable on the limited set menu with no a la carte available as an alternative. On top of that, when we asked our waiter to recommend a wine he was lost for words and kept referring to the price of the wines rather than what would be nicest with for our menu choices. That might seem picky but, at the classy joint that the Welcombe was, you would expect the waiting staff to know something about the menu and wine list. In addition, at breakfast, there was nothing in the cooked area until we asked (several times) for replenishments. I was also unable to book any treatments in the spa because it was apparently booked up for "months in advance" with hen parties. Also irritating (and a sad reflection of the number of hen parties/weddings etc now coming to the hotel) was the fact that we couldn't get a drink at the hotel bar without showing our room card, even though the staff knew full well that we were residential guests. Last, but by no means least, was the hotel taxi service. We asked the hotel to book us a taxi into Stratford on the Saturday evening. We arrived at reception 5mins ahead of time faced with a queue of people waiting for taxis and one very annoyed husband who had been let down on the taxi front with his very pregnant wife and had to resort to driving. When I asked the lady in reception what was happening she told me that the taxi company that the hotel had a contract with regularly didn't turn up- they apparently didn't want to come up the drive but I was told that "you can get one at the end of the (1/4 of a mile) drive if you want". In 5 inch heels and pouring rain, that wasn't an option. I asked if she could call another company but she said the one they had a contract with got funny if they used another taxi company! I tried to explain a bit of contract law and breech of contract but she still wouldn't call another company. Thankfully , one taxi turned up so we shared it with one of the other couples waiting in reception. Maybe this happened because the regular doorman (who is nothing short of excellent) wasn't working that night. Who knows. The fact is, it was another example of the slip of the hotel's service from 5*to 3*. This might all seem a tad petty but it was one thing after another and just such a stark contrast to the excellent service that we have experienced at the hotel before. We rarely complain, preferring to vote with our feet, but I had to write this because it's such a shame that such a wonderful weekend retreat has sold it's proverbial soul to the mass market.

1  Thank workinggirl1234

It is a shame that you had such an experience , your enjoyment of the Welcombe should not be disappointing just because we are busy - please accept my apologies and do contact me if you would like to return as I would like the opportunity to restore your faith in us.
I can assure you I have discussed the whole of your review with my team and action has been taken to change all of the issues raised.
Please come back to me