“Lovely wedding venue”

Hallmark Hotel The Welcombe
southampton
“Lovely wedding venue”
Reviewed 9 March 2014

We stayed 2 nights at this beautiful hotel for a wedding. The actual building and grounds were magnificent .The food is lovely. The staff were attentive and discrete. Our room was very comfortable. The wedding was held in a pretty room and of course there is a a superb back drop for the wedding photos.. We went to bed before the evening disco had finished and were a bit worried we would hear the noise but we never heard a thing.
Our only complaint was the heat. The whole hotel was too warm .I would hate their heating bill!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank SouthamptonEileen
welgf, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel The Welcombe, responded to this review, 10 March 2014
Thank you for your review and I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us - sorry about the heating , we really did get caught out with the sudden arrival of Spring !
Greg

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (461)
  • Korean first
Leeds
Reviewed 8 March 2014

Had a lovely weekend stay with family at this hotel. I'd booked a package directly through the hotel website that included a superior room and some extras, all of which we were really pleased with, especially as it turned out we were given a suite which was very clean, spacious and comfortable.
Dinner was included in the package; the menu was small with only 4 mains to choose from (meat, game, fish and vegetarian) so we were all very annoyed to be told that they had run out of the meat dish - I think it's really poor when you consider that 25% of their menu was unavailable, and when you've already paid for the meal it's not like you can simply go elsewhere. The other choices were OK but just not to everyone's tastes so most of our party had to settle - a big disappointment in my opinion since an evening meal is a big part of going away.
The bar area is nice and comfortable although they seemed short staffed a lot of the time.
The spa is fantastic: I'd say that the facilities available were the best I've come across at a UK hotel spa. They've got a nice big pool, Jacuzzi, heated outdoor pool with jets, sauna, steam room and foot spas.
The grounds are impressive and well maintained.
I would return to this hotel for the spa facilities and standard of the rooms, however, I would definitely look to venture in to Stratford to eat since we were all so disappointed with the evening meal in the restaurant.

Room Tip: Check out the Menzies website before booking as some of their deals might just beat what you can fin...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
So glad you had a good weekend here with your family and I do apologise that one of the main courses on the inclusive menu ran out - there is the a la carte menu to choose from as well and I would have hoped that my team had offered a dish from that menu as an alternative - clearly not , but I can assure you instruction to that effect has now been given - my apologies.

I am glad that overall you enjoyed your stay and i do hope you will return

Malvern, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 March 2014

My hubby and I were booked into this hotel as a joint birthday gift for us. The room we had was fantastic Isabellas Room but we had our stay rather spoilt!! Dinner and breakfast was included.
I mistakenly left a bottle of expensive perfume in our room when we checked out so I phoned the hotel to ask them if it was there and could they post it me but strangely it was not there so somebody in housekeeping smells nice whilst cleaning the rooms!!!

The service at dinner was good until my meal came out so over cooked that I could not cut the meat. Now I am not a person to normally complain but I felt I had to say something as I could not eat it. The head waiter said "you asked for it well done"!! well I still wanted to be able to eat it!
Another meal arrived half an hour later and in that time my husband had eaten his and they tried to lay down desert cutlery, I reminded them I was still waiting and all they said was "Oh" they did not go and check where my meal was.
It finally arrived looking nothing like the first meal with none of the elements that was on the original meal and description I got the feeling that the plate put in front of me was a disgruntled chef who had had his pride hurt!!! So I left the meal and asked to have some room service instead.
So what could have been a lovely stay and a lovely gift was a bit of a rubbish time!!!

Room Tip: Isabellas Room
4 Thank bowdenperry
welgf, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel The Welcombe, responded to this review, 11 March 2014
I am very sorry you did not enjoy your stay with us and please accept my apologies for the way your Duck was cooked - it is difficult to keep Duck tender when cooking it well done , but this could ( and should ) have been handled better by the restaurant team.
Whilst I do sympathise with the loss of your perfume I do take offence at the accusation that a member of the housekeeping staff has taken it. The room assistant in question has been with us for 8 years and is a trusted loyal member of the team. I know my Head Housekeeper has been in contact with you and has investigated your claim fully but there was no perfume in the room.
Reviewed 2 March 2014 via mobile

My new wife and I stopped here on our honeymoon night and all we can say is thank you to the wonderful staff for upgrading us to the Countess Suite! This made our special weekend even more special. The Countess suite has to be seen to be believed, I have never before stayed in such opulence. My wife and I felt like a king and queen for the day. The hotel is very accommodating and the spa was a relaxing experience. We were treated well at dinner and the food was wonderful . As was breakfast (which we chose to eat in our room) as we didn't want to leave it! Thank you again for the special treatment and a time we will never forget. We look forward to returning on our first anniversary.

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank 2bestmates
Reviewed 2 March 2014

We stayed on the romantic package as a birthday treat, room was lovely champagne and chocolates waiting although bath rooms would have been nice especially as we were in a suite. The staff were very friendly and all times of our stay. The spa facilities were lovely and for a saturday afternoon it was not too crowded. We had the three course meal for dinner which was good however the vegetarian option was very unimaginative - mushroom rissotto would have been nice to have a choice or have something a litte more exciting! Breakfast was good - buffet however there wasn't many veggi options on the cooked buffet and there was not menu of what you could order so had to ask what there was a menu would have made it much more efficient. Overall a very lovely expereince!

1 Thank Bethanyrose91
England
Reviewed 28 February 2014 via mobile

The building is very impressive, fantastic bar restaurant and lounge and gardens are lovely too. Feels very grand but also relaxed. not pretentious.

Service from all staff was great. Especially the waiters very attentive and so polite. Food was very nice but not much choice so we only ate there once. We didn't plan to leave the hotel on the evenings as my husband is not well so that was a shame. Larger menu is a must! !

Wifi was great. Air con great. Ironing board in room Very useful.

The room was very basic not very special. Needed better decor. Shower was mouldy, tiles were very dated making it feel dirty. Strange window in the bathroom facing in to the bedroom with a dirty blind inside it! Definitely needs modernisation.

They use an imac computer instead of a tv which means it is tiny And No menu for tv channels.

No printed room service menus I assume they were on the computer but we couldn't find them (not a complaint just think theyve overdone the tech when paper sometimes is easier. Hope they respond to this) instead of spending £1500 on a mac that could have gone towards a decent shower area! !

2 light switches didnt work so hope they read this as I forgot to tell them on our way out Room 324 . No mini bar either

• Stayed February 2014
1 Thank DwayneAndAlma
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 February 2014

Booked a weekend away for my Birthday a couple of weekends ago at the Menzies Hotel. We were attracted to it due to the proximity to Stratford and the facilities of the Spa.

Good bits:
Food in the main restaurant was perfect, although the desert selection very poor.
The hotel is grand from the exterior
The White Company products were lovely
View from our room and the dining room was lovely
Pool area and jacuzzi are nice, although can be noisy during the times children are allowed in. Sauna/ steam room both nice but small and very busy even though the spa was fairly quiet.

Bad bits:
We had what I believe was a standard room. The actual room part was fine. Two single beds pushed together to make a double which were unfortunately different heights so didnt work too well. The bathroom was poor, small, dated and no separate shower. Bath had a shower curtain which had seen better days and the grout and seals needed either a good clean, or replacing. No fridge provided.
Breakfast is buffet and there is little cereal choice
Hotel is set in a lot of grounds which they are very keen on promoting, unfortunately only those using the golf course can walk through them!
Not enough parking, throughout the weekend there were weddings which was fine but the parking was a nightmare.
The biggest issue was the Spa, being my birthday we had booked treatments. Upon arrival to the Spa the staff were frosty, we were asked to wait in an area which was cold, no drinks facilities,. no luxurious or relaxing experience which you expect from a spa. the treatment which I had booked wasnt the one they began to perform, I questioned it and they said it had been booked in wrong and they couldnt do the treatment I wanted due to a lack of time (if they hadnt left us waiting in the cold waiting area past our appointment time, perhaps they would have had time to do the treatment requested!). I wasnt interested in the treatment they had incorrectly booked me in for so ended up having to leave it. I was upset and very disappointed and felt they handled the situation very very poorly.
Pool area could have done with more regular cleaning/ collection of towels/ used cups etc. We spent a good few hours there and no cleaning/ check by staff members was done.
Reception werent helpful at all and I was surprised to have been given a copy key by someone we had not been checked in by without so much as a check of the booking name! I merely asked for a key for the room number and was provided it without question.

Overall people who havent been to any other spas may think it nice, but it doesnt compare to the luxury feeling and relaxing experience of other spas.

We definately would not return to the hotel however for the price paid (a two night deal inc breakfast and dinner on one evening) it was OK.

2 Thank LiderB