“An absolute pleasure.”

Hallmark Hotel The Welcombe
Southend-on-sea, United Kingdom
“An absolute pleasure.”
Reviewed 1 June 2014 via mobile

We stayed for a weekend following a business meeting in Warwick. Initially having booked into another local hotel (which shall remain nameless) I called the Welcombe at 5pm on Friday in a bit of stressed out state as the hotel we were booked into was simply awful. From the moment I made the phone call I knew my weekend was saved! Nothing was too much trouble, the gentleman on the phone said my room would be ready and waiting for us which is was - and what a room - simply stunning. A large four poster bed with amazing views over the gardens and golf course, large bathroom and well appointed room.

The hotel was built in the 1800s and is so full of character and charm and yet following a 2012 refurbishment the amenities are of an extremely good standard.

The Spa is exceptionally good although I didn't have time for any treatments so will have to report back next time I stay.

My husband managed to squeeze in 18 holes on the Championship course (once the hotel manager sorted out an exceptionally good set of loaned golf clubs and even size 9 golf shoes).

There was a wedding whilst we were there which although a little noisy into the night was not really any bother and it's always lovely to see a bride (especially in such beautiful surroundings).

The food and drink were also lovely but the real star of this weekend was the staff, from the General Manager Greg to the door men and all the restaurant and bar staff, we could not have been made to feel more welcome and what started as a very stressful weekend ended with me being as relaxed as relaxed could be.

I can't wait to go back.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
welgf, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel The Welcombe, responded to this review, 11 June 2014
And it was an absolute pleasure to have met you both. Glad we were able to help ' rescue ' your weekend and that the weather was good enough for the round of golf.
I have passed on your thanks to the team and we all look forward to seeing you again
Greg

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (472)
  • Korean first
Nuneaton, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 June 2014

We had a fabulous weekend in this spectacular hotel, rooms, service, staff and food were second to non. It was a wonderful venue for a wedding, and the staff were so accomadating. would recommend to anyone

Room Tip: select a view over the gardens
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Thank you , glad you enjoyed your stay , why not come back for a more leisurely break ?
Stratford-upon-Avon, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 June 2014

After going to view a few other wedding venues in the area we thought we would take a trip to the Welcombe as it's somewhere I always thought I wanted to get married but I thought it wouldn't be affordable. After stepping inside the hotel and having a tour around we couldn't wipe the smile off our faces. Nowhere else came close and we'd certainly found our venue.

Our wedding co-ordinator Jess was with us every step of the way to guide us along and answer our queries. Nothing was too much trouble and the hotel were very flexible in terms of our requirements.

The day itself was amazing and everything ran smoothly and to time. We got married in Church and then travelled back to the hotel with 100 guests (including 11 children). The grounds were perfect and our photographs are amazing. Even the children didn't get bored and loved playing together outside.

We had a large number of guests staying at the hotel and everyone thoroughly enjoyed themselves. Even breakfast for 40 guests the next morning wasn't too much trouble. A number of us then used the spa facilities and swimming pool which the children loved (children are only allowed in the swimming pool at certain time but that suited us fine).

In total, I stayed for 3 nights over the wedding weekend and each night was special for its own reason. The suite was amazing and large enough for me and my three bridesmaids to stay in the evening before and then get ready in the next morning looking out over the stunning gardens. Our wedding weekend was so relaxing (at no point did we feel stressed) and we were made to feel very special by the hotel.

Although we only live 5 miles away, we will certainly return.

Many thanks to Jess and the team.

Mr and Mrs Evans

Room Tip: If you are travelling for a special occasion, upgrade to a suite overlooking the gardens.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank KEvans4
Thank you for the excellent review and very kind words about the hotel and Jess the wedding co ordinator - so glad that she helped you throughout the wedding arrangements and the day itself.
The Welcombe is a fantastic venue for a wedding ( I should know as I also got married here ! ) and I am glad you had time to enjoy the Spa and grounds.
We look forward to welcoming you both back soon
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 May 2014

My partner and I stayed here in May and we have stayed here 4 times in the last year and a half and always had good service. The spa facilities are great and in a tranquil location. Also, we use this venue for our work conferences which I arrange and they never disappoint. So far my partner and I have stayed in The Countess Suite, The Lady Caroline Suite and a couple of Four Poster rooms in the Gallery Area. I would recommend the Old part of the Hotel and it is worth the money to upgrade. The breakfast is also wonderful. It is close to Stratford up Avon and I have walked it a couple of times which is a nice walk.

Room Tip: Worth upgrading the room.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Samantha S
welgf, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel The Welcombe, responded to this review, 31 May 2014
Thank you for this kind review - hopefully we will keep up the good work and you will keep coming back . You have certainly stayed in some splendid rooms here with fantastic views.
Warwick, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Welcome hotel seemed to be the perfect place for afternoon tea. Having phoned twice to make a booking and the third time to confirm the booking, on arrival our group of 11 we're not expected. We were dumped in a bar area. Had to chase someone to get a drink. When afternoon tea arrived the table we were sat around was not big enough to accommodate all the plates and cups and food. As 11 people were squashed around one small table the waiter struggled to lean through us to place items on the table and showed his frustration by keep giving very audible sighs. We were given two pots of tea and one pot of coffee which was not enough for 11 people and we had to track down staff to ask for more. One plate of sandwiches did not go around 11 people and the cakes appeared to be bought and not home made. Overall a very disappointing experience for such a high quality hotel

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Please accept my sincere apologies for this unacceptable service and poor standards - I would be grateful if you would contact me so I might get a better understanding of how we got it so wrong - greg.fehler@menzieshotels.co.uk - 01789 295252
I look forward to hearing from you
Midlands England
Reviewed 27 May 2014

We booked a 2 night stay with one evening meal and breakfast included. The meal was fantastic and the breakfast overlooking the gorgeous gardens was perfect. The room was a standard one and we were quite happy with it. However there was a wedding Fayre on so we had chance to view some of the suites. Absolutely amazing!!I cannot wait to return and hope to be able to stay in a suite!

• Stayed February 2014
Thank you for this review , so glad you enjoyed your stay and we look forward to welcoming you back soon ( in a suite of course ! )
Northampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 May 2014

A beautiful hotel in gorgeous surroundings. I booked this hotel as a surprise stay for my husbands 40th birthday. My first contact with the hotel was with reservations, a lovely Laura Murphy totally understood the importance for me to get everything just right for this special occasion, and that's exactly what she did. After talking to Laura I had nothing else to do, she arranged everything from reserving the perfect parking spot on our arrival, golf for my husband, a perfectly positioned table for both dinner and breakfast to a beautiful Executive Suite. The staff throughout the hotel were extremely helpful, nothing was too much trouble throughout our stay. The Hotel Manager Greg Fehler was both friendly and professional and also ensured everything was just perfect for our stay. We are looking to return to the hotel in the future and would definitely recommend it. All that's left to say is, that every hotel should have a Laura Murphy!!!!! Thank you x

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank helsbells130
Glad we were able to help make your husband's 40th birthday very special - Laura is unique ( need I say more ) and thoroughly enjoys making everyones visit memorable. Thank you also for the personal mention , it was a pleasure to have been part of the special day.